Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSatellite View Post
    The pro version does have a mag release but no mag safety and no slide safety.
    What is the mag saftey? That the thing that keeps the gun from firing unless the magazine is in?

Pinky ext. Is a personal preference and in my professional opinion does nothing to limit concealability. I would need it to help stabilize because of such limited palm space.
    I'll know more once I get to try it in my ISW holster but I highly doubt it will make more visible.

The glock 43 is a little heavier (more slide mass) which serves to reduce recoil and muzzle flip but I think the trigger differences are very noticeable. Ruger has a long sweeping trigger and long reset and the glock is shorter on both. It's all what you get used to. I was issued a Beretta 96d over 20 years ago and my hands were too small but I learned to adjust. When we went to glock 22s my scores improved and I became faster because it fit me better.
    Although I've only dry fired the old hammer fired LC9, the trigger pull on mine doesn't seem to have near as long of a sweep as it did. I'm real happy with the trigger on the Ruger. That was primarily one of the selling points.

A buddy of mine carried a LC9 for many years but ended up getting a Taurus slim 709 because he never did like the trigger on the Ruger from the getgo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI: Glocks have by design a lower bore axis than other handguns, i.e., the hand sits higher on the grip in comparison to the bore axis and is therefore better able to tame the recoil.

Now that you mention it, I think I have noticed a time or two where it looked like the barrel on them pistols sits a little lower in the frame than on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. That's true about the glock. One thing that most people don't know is in the 40cal glock the slide rape is too steep and repeated loading and unloading of the same two rounds can compress them, which can cause the round to burst. I was shown this but a friend who is a Glock armorer. He showed me how my first round was shorter than a new round. It can cause over pressure in the round. I still shoot it and am quite accurate with it but love to shoot my Sig Sauer P320, the recoil and trigger squeeze are smoother. Be careful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6. Quote Originally Posted by trmac2016 View Post
    That's true about the glock. One thing that most people don't know is in the 40cal glock the slide rape is too steep and repeated loading and unloading of the same two rounds can compress them, which can cause the round to burst. I was shown this but a friend who is a Glock armorer. He showed me how my first round was shorter than a new round. It can cause over pressure in the round. I still shoot it and am quite accurate with it but love to shoot my Sig Sauer P320, the recoil and trigger squeeze are smoother. Be careful.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    That was a known issue when we were issued g22s. The fix is to drop the first round into the chamber and drop the slide despite the experts saying it's hard on the extractor. After 10,000 rounds through many issued weapons with no issues, I'd consider it negleable at best. The issue you are referring to is caused by the bullet hitting the feed ramp multiple times from the magazine primarily on professionally issued weapons where the officer unloads his weapon following his or her shift and reloads the same round over and over from the magazine to start their shift. I rarely unloaded my weapon and when I did I reloaded as I described.

That was a known issue when we were issued g22s. The fix is to drop the first round into the chamber and drop the slide despite the experts saying it's hard on the extractor. After 10,000 rounds through many issued weapons with no issues, I'd consider it negleable at best. The issue you are referring to is caused by the bullet hitting the feed ramp multiple times from the magazine primarily on professionally issued weapons where the officer unloads his weapon following his or her shift and reloads the same round over and over from the magazine to start their shift. I rarely unloaded my weapon and when I did I reloaded as I described.
    I have to disagree here. It is not only hard on the extractor, but also on the cartridge. The fix is limit the number of times you chamber a self defense round. There are different views on this. Some chamber a self defense round only once, some a few times. Once a round "times out", just shoot it during practice. You are supposed to regularly rotate your self defense ammo out anyway.

Realize that if you keep your carry handgun loaded at all times, the only time you have to re-chamber a self defense round is after a shooting practice session. Assuming a high, of 50 shooting practice sessions per year (approx. once a week) and re-chambering the same self defense round only twice, that's 25 self defense rounds rotated out this way per year, i.e., $13.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I have to disagree here. It is not only hard on the extractor, but also on the cartridge. The fix is limit the number of times you chamber a self defense round. There are different views on this. Some chamber a self defense round only once, some a few times. Once a round "times out", just shoot it during practice. You are supposed to regularly rotate your self defense ammo out anyway.

Realize that if you keep your carry handgun loaded at all times, the only time you have to re-chamber a self defense round is after a shooting practice session. Assuming a high, of 50 shooting practice sessions per year (approx. once a week) and re-chambering the same self defense round only twice, that's 25 self defense rounds rotated out this way per year, i.e., $13.
    Like I said I personally rarely unloaded my service weapon unless I had a need to which kept the issue you are describing a non factor. I'm not saying this is ideal. I'm saying this is what we were instructed to do and yes the ammo was rotated at least every 3 months. Self defense situations are different. You are buying your own ammo and your home situation may dictate unloading every night to be a necessity. In that case, common sense dictates you need to pay attention to the first round in and discard it when appropriate.

Third, no firearm, contrary to what Hillary and the left wing media will have you believe, can be shipped to anyone who does not hold a current FFL....................
    You know not of what you speak. There are some exemptions in the law. I legally receive firearms directly from an out of state seller without being an FFL any number of times per year. Includes them doing a NICS check first but still delivered directly to the house. Also you can mail a long gun from yourself to yourself in another state as long as the firearm is legal in both states.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

10. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    You know not of what you speak. There are some exemptions in the law. I legally receive firearms directly from an out of state seller without being an FFL any number of times per year. Includes them doing a NICS check first but still delivered directly to the house. Also you can mail a long gun from yourself to yourself in another state as long as the firearm is legal in both states.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
    An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

It is true a person may ship a firearm to his or herself but that's not what concerns me in your post.

I cited federal code. Please cite the code section that allows private sellers to ship firearms directly to you as a non-licensee without an FFL receiving the firearm and conducting the transfer. I'm interested in learning new things so I'll await your response. Since this is the business I am in I find it absolutely prudent to know what is and, in your case, is not legal. Your statement, on its face, could provoke other less educated members here to believe it to be true to fact and attempt to acquire a firearm from someone without using the legally prescribed FFL as a transfer agent. Granted, anyone violating these code sections is alone responsible for their actions, but it is irresponsible to post content that contradicts federal law which could be at the very least confusing.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
    An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

It is true a person may ship a firearm to his or herself but that's not what concerns me in your post.

I cited federal code. Please cite the code section that allows private sellers to ship firearms directly to you as a non-licensee without an FFL receiving the firearm and conducting the transfer. I'm interested in learning new things so I'll await your response. Since this is the business I am in I find it absolutely prudent to know what is and, in your case, is not legal. Your statement, on its face, could provoke other less educated members here to believe it to be true to fact and attempt to acquire a firearm from someone without using the legally prescribed FFL as a transfer agent. Granted, anyone violating these code sections is alone responsible for their actions, but it is irresponsible to post content that contradicts federal law which could be at the very least confusing.
    Reply will be coming to you in a PM. And I am in no way breaking the law. There just are exemptions in the laws. And most people do not know it.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast