Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber

1. Which has more stopping power 9mm or .40 Caliber

I have a Walther PPS in .40Caliber They just came out with a Walther PPS M2 but can only find them in 9mm. I was thinking of trading for the new M2 model. With these new Self defense bullets out there I wonder if there is no disadvantage going from .40 Cal to 9MM ?

Those fancy self defense bullets are not limited to 9mm. They come in .40's too. The debate continues.....
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NR232 View Post
    I have a Walther PPS in .40Caliber They just came out with a Walther PPS M2 but can only find them in 9mm. I was thinking of trading for the new M2 model. With these new Self defense bullets out there I wonder if there is no disadvantage going from .40 Cal to 9MM ?
    If you want "stopping power" get a baseball bat. If you want to stop someone with a handgun it's going to take multiple on target hits
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by NR232 View Post
    9 mm vs. .40 S&W has been debated over and over and over again. You can find a lot of answers by just using this forum's search function or Google. In short, all service handgun calibers have poor stopping power, which is why the standard argument is to choose the biggest caliber you can shoot fast and accurate with.

The difference between 9 mm vs. .40 S&W (or really 10mm short) is 0.039 inches (1 mm) in unexpanded diameter and 0.078 inches (2 mm) in diameter after the expansion of a JHP round. The penetration depth of both rounds is the same. While .40 S&W has more energy and more momentum, it needs both to achieve the same penetration depth as 9mm. The secondary effects of the energy dump when expanding look better in ballistics gel for .40 S&W, but are less impressive in reality. Real wound channels of both rounds are quite close. 9 mm pistols hold usually more rounds in the same size gun than .40 S&W pistols. 9 mm is less snappy than .40 S&W, which allows faster follow up shots.

When people talk about "new self defense bullets" or "wonder rounds", they really just mean properly designed JHP rounds that have been around for 15 years, when deficiencies in consistent JHP expansion and penetration depth were addressed. Today, any quality self defense round in a service caliber performs as expected. "New self defense bullets" or "wonder rounds" are terms of the past, unless you mean completely new designs of frangible bullets that are less effective than standard JHP rounds.

If you want to know more about proper caliber and ammunition selection, this article is THE reference you should look at: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo. It provides the scientific background for arguments and self defense ammunition recommendations for many calibers.

Now, back to your OP. Why do you want to swap models and calibers in the first place? What is your motivation? Do you have any defensive handgun training? Would't your money be better spent on ammunition and a defensive handgun class?

Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gun fight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the last.

6. Now, back to your OP. Why do you want to swap models and calibers in the first place? What is your motivation? Do you have any defensive handgun training? Would't your money be better spent on ammunition and a defensive handgun class? I appreciate your answer. The M2 has a better mag release and zero back strap to fall off if I was to drop the gun.. I like the idea of more ammo and a defensive training class .

7. Now, back to your OP. Why do you want to swap models and calibers in the first place? What is your motivation? Do you have any defensive handgun training? Would't your money be better spent on ammunition and a defensive handgun class? ............................................ I appreciate your answer. The M2 has a better mag release and zero back strap to fall off if I was to drop the gun.. I like the idea of more ammo and a defensive training class .

A lot of the government and police agencies are going back to the 9mm.

What do they know that we don't?

OTOH, this is a great time to buy 40S&W guns, for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    A lot of the government and police agencies are going back to the 9mm.

What do they know that we don't?

OTOH, this is a great time to buy 40S&W guns, for the same reason.
    I read an article on one gun site a couple of years ago that one of the main reasons was due to availability. Back then some police departments were having supply issues with .40 but 9MM was available from their supplier. Don't know if it's true or not. Nothing wrong with choosing a 9MM handgun. I have one myself (G43 for CC) and it's a very popular round (cheap too) but my bump in the night go to pistol is the 10MM G20.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Properly applied they are both equally effective in stopping an attacker.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    What do they know that we don't?.
    That 9mm is cheaper?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast