Brady Bunch sues to stop CC in Nat Parks
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady Bunch sues to stop CC in Nat Parks

Thumbs down Brady Bunch sues to stop CC in Nat Parks

Leave it to them to try anything. The problem is the U.S. District Court will probably side with them.

The Associated Press: Group sues to reinstate firearms ban

Group sues to reinstate firearms ban

By JESSE J. HOLLAND 9 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence sued the Bush administration Tuesday in hopes of stopping a new policy that would allow people to carry concealed, loaded guns in most national parks and wildlife refuges.

"The Bush administration's last-minute gift to the gun lobby, allowing concealed semiautomatic weapons in national parks, jeopardizes the safety of park visitors in violation of federal law," said Paul Helmke, the group's president. "We should not be making it easier for dangerous people to carry concealed firearms in our parks."

An Interior Department spokeswoman refused to comment on the lawsuit, saying the department does not discuss pending litigation.

The Brady Campaign sued the Interior Department and its secretary, Dirk Kempthorne, as well as the leaders of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Park Service in U.S. District Court. They want a federal judge to issue an immediate injunction stopping the elimination of the 25-year-old federal rule that severely restricts loaded guns in national parks.

The Interior Department rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulation required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

But under a rule to take effect in January, visitors will be able to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows concealed firearms.

The rules change would take effect before President-elect Barack Obama takes office in January. Overturning the rule would take months or even years if the Obama administration wanted to, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

The lawsuit said members of the Brady Campaign will no longer visit national parks and refuges "out of fear for their personal safety from those who will now be permitted to carry loaded and concealed weapons in such areas."
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

how can anyone sue based on an opinion that guns shouldn't be allowed in national parks?

Hmmmmmm.....

"The lawsuit said members of the Brady Campaign will no longer visit national parks and refuges "out of fear for their personal safety from those who will now be permitted to carry loaded and concealed weapons in such areas."

Funny, sounds like shorter lines, safer atmosphere and better people in the parks to me - where exactly is the downside to that?
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Probaly won't even notice they are gone/////////////

gpbarth Guest
    "We should not be making it easier for dangerous people to carry concealed firearms in our parks."
    Making it easier????? The dangerous people have never had much use for legal weapons and carry permits. And I don't see where the current laws against violence with a handgun have stopped murder and assault. All this does is make it LEGAL for law-abiding citizens to carry their LEGAL weapons, with PERMITS, into places where previously only criminals did so illegally.

The Brady Bunch is calling all of us "dangerous people." Interesting question: did John Hinckley, Jr. have a legal weapon and a carry permit? Little-known fact - Hinckley had been arrested in Nashville TN 6 months earlier carrying 3 guns in a suitcase, 2 of which were the same .22 type of revolver that he used in the Reagan attempt. Then-President Carter was in Nashville at the time. Hinckley's family had also admitted that their son had been under psychiatric care.

So, despite having been under psychiatric care, despite having been arrested for carrying weapons previously (6 months), Hinckley was able to buy another revolver from a pawn shop, and get within firing range of President Reagan.

Now, how many EXISTING laws were broken in this process? And how would this have turned out, had any of those EXISTING laws been enforced, and Hinckley been prosecuted and thrown in jail...six months earlier?

I rest my case, your honor! Now let me into Yellowstone with my concealed XD-40, which I am legally licensed to carry after I went through a 3-day waiting period to buy it, and took a course recognized by my home state of Florida, which included a background check, fingerprints, and 3 months of waiting. Am I one of your "dangerous people?" I think not!
    Last edited by gpbarth; 12-31-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Angry

Dangerous people?????????????????? Give me a break. The bad guys are the dangerous ones. They don't care whether CC is banned or not from national parks. They are going to do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, wherever they want. I take it as an insult being paired with some idiot bg. We, as a rule, are the more law-abiding citizens of the bunch. We've had the training and know the consequences of any screw-ups. As far as I'm concerned, the Brady Bunch are the bad guys.

What else should we expect from this bunch of idiots?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Question

I am at lose for words..... This is so asinine. Most of these people only go outdoors to cut their grass, and then maybe not even then. I don't know...
    Semper Fi

gpbarth Guest
    Brady Group, PETA, Sea Shepherd. What do they all have in common? They're all radicals without a clue! And can be dangerous if left unattended.

You know I try to be respectful of the opinions of other people but what the heck do people like the Brady Bunch use to base they're opnions on? With all of the facts out there showing who are committing the gun crimes and who are not, are they really so caught up in they're own rhetoric to see the truth?

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast