Air travel. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Air travel.

  1. #21

    Air travel.

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I belittle others only if they post incorrect information that is based on their personal opinion and can be easily refuted with proper sources and experience.
    I did not post a personal opinion. I like how you repeatedly foolishly assume I did.
    On most of my luggage, I resorted to using short wires, sticking them through the lock holes and twisting their ends, to prevent accidental opening. If a wire gets lost, because a TSA employee opened the luggage but did not put the wire back on, I have several replacement wires in my luggage.
    See, that right there does a pretty good job proving laziness on their part. I don't know what kind of wire you used but if they can't even put your wire back on, how can anyone even expect them to put a pad lock back on even if they did bother to use their master key to remove it in the first place??


    As I said, if you don't know the laws, just don't assume you do.
    Again pal, never claimed I did. That's all on you for assuming I was.

    A firearm gets inspected upon check in. No-one is allowed to open the box, other than you.
    Ok so, how are they supposed to inspect the firearm if they're not allowed to open the box?

    You did not clearly state that a TSA-compliant lock for luggage is something completely different than a TSA-compliant box for firearms, which is why I had to make this statement to make sure the OP gets it.
    Didn't really think I needed to. I said it wasn't the same ballpark but maybe the same concept.

    Fact of the matter is, if you're information is correct, good for you. There's plenty of ways to do make that point without belittling anyone and coming off like a know it all.
    You clearly were also not aware of the TSA firearm handling rules, which leads me to believe that you never traveled with a checked in firearm.
    You're exactly right, I haven't. What difference does it make? You make it sound like I was telling this person what to do and to disregard what everyone else says. lol.
    Your posts should be based facts from your experience and not based on your opinion of what you think the facts are.
    Again, wasn't posting an opinion. What one would say is their opinion is different from harmlessly saying the FFA would or would not allow. I wasn't stating to know all that. If someone comes into the discussion and sets the OP straight then great, that's the purpose of these forums.
    Unfortunately, many gun forums are filled with people that have little experience but post tons of opinions.
    You're right but just because that's what the majority of these people do, don't assume everyone does.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
    Just for clarity, do I start by calling the airline we want to fly to get their procedure? When I go to check in does the airline employee then bring in the TSA once I declare I have a locked up and unloaded hand gun?
    I would just call the airline and see what they say. That'd probably be your best bet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Since you don't tolerate being told, you are clearly lost. Note that it is against the forum rules to encourage illegal activity. Mailing a handgun as a nonlicensee with the USPS is a federal felony. Shipping a handgun with a contract carrier without declaring it is a federal felony as well.

    Good, thanks for clearing that up. For the record, I wasn't encouraging anything. I was just simply asking how they would know.

    Tell me again how "mailing" a handgun to yourself across state lines is supposed to be easier than flying with it as checked luggage.
    Sounds to me like it would equally be a hassle either way. If it were me I think I would just rent another car and drive back home or would have just left my gun at home. Again, I'm just speaking for myself.

    How about stop posting nonsense and at least read up on stuff before posting.
    Again, how about you just stop telling people what do??


    As I said before, interstate shipping of firearms in general and of handguns in specific to yourself is complex and has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum. If you want to know the details, just look at the Traveling With Handguns subforum.
    Duly noted. I think you made your point. No need repeating it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
    Just for clarity, do I start by calling the airline we want to fly to get their procedure? When I go to check in does the airline employee then bring in the TSA once I declare I have a locked up and unloaded hand gun?
    First, go to your airline's Web page and find out about firearms procedures. Nowadays, most airlines have similar procedures. Call up your airline to reconfirm. Ask specifically if ammunition needs to be removed from the magazine or needs to be in a container suitable for ammunition transport (such as a small plastic ammo box or a factory ammunition box). This is where airlines differ. My airline, Delta, for example does not allow loaded magazines.

    There are also some odd state laws that play a role here. In my state, TN, a loaded magazine next to an unloaded gun counts as a loaded gun as TN law says the "intent to go armed" is criminal. It is legally safer to have a separate plastic or original box for the ammo.

    Just walk up to the check in counter with the already boxed and unleaded firearm and say that you want to check a firearm. You firearm may get inspected by the airline employee and tagged. TSA inspection/screening procedures are airport specific. Do not leave until they give you the all clear, typically until they ran it through the X-ray machine and tested it for explosives.

    The link I posted before provides you a lot of practical information: TTAG | Flying With Your Guns Revisited.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Sounds to me like it would equally be a hassle either way. If it were me I think I would just rent another car and drive back home or would have just left my gun at home. Again, I'm just speaking for myself.
    While you might think that flying with a checked firearm is a hassle, it is really not. Once you have done it, you understand the process and it is no problem at all. Checking in with a firearm takes me 5-10 minutes longer than without. Definitely better than leaving the firearm at home.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Ok so, how are they supposed to inspect the firearm if they're not allowed to open the box?
    You open the box if needed (or the box is already open when it is with you at the check-in counter and being checked by a TSA employee). At no time is the TSA allowed to open the box by itself. That would actually require a federal search warrant.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    You're exactly right, I haven't. What difference does it make? You make it sound like I was telling this person what to do and to disregard what everyone else says. lol.
    There is a difference between experience and opinion. You posted an opinion that had no basis on experience (or facts). If you would have actually had the experience in flying with a checked in firearm and read up on the complexities of shipping a handgun, you would not have made your first post in this thread in the first place. That's the difference it makes.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Again, wasn't posting an opinion. What one would say is their opinion is different from harmlessly saying the FFA would or would not allow. I wasn't stating to know all that. If someone comes into the discussion and sets the OP straight then great, that's the purpose of these forums.
    Read my first reply to the OP, it mentions something about asking random strangers on the Internet and getting utterly false information. As it turns out, you knew nothing about the topic, but offered your opinion on it anyway. That turned out to be utterly false information.

    By the way, SR9 made the same mistake. It's TSA and not FAA.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    You're right but just because that's what the majority of these people do, don't assume everyone does.
    I don't assume. I read the posts and when I see BS I call it out.


    In closing this argument between us, let me repeat and expand on what I have stated in my first post in this thread. This has been the first OP worth commenting on in this forum since my temporary ban was lifted a week ago. This forum still sucks. The vast majority of posts are not even related to firearms. The few posts that are contain a lot of myths or outright false information.

    Most active forum members have little to none firearms experience or training, but think highly of themselves. The few forum members with firearms experience and training stay quiet and offer some insights from time to time. Once they do, nonsensical arguments break out that go on and on (like in this thread). Why? Because those with little-to-none experience just don't like to be told that they are wrong. I have been on this forum for almost 3 years now and like so many other productive members I am getting tired of it.

    I am a member of another forum, which has one main rule: read more, post less. Unfortunately in this forum, it is quite the opposite: post more, read less. ALL the information I have provided is already in the Traveling With Handguns subforum. If new members would actually read what old members posted before, this forum would be way more productive.

    Southwest Airlines - Excellent handling of firearm travel
    United Airlines Excellent
    Traveling by Air
    Flying with Our Glocks This Week

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You open the box if needed (or the box is already open when it is with you at the check-in counter and being checked by a TSA employee). At no time is the TSA allowed to open the box by itself. That would actually require a federal search warrant.
    Hmm. Don't know why they would need a search warrant to open a gun case but not a bag.


    There is a difference between experience and opinion.
    This part I couldn't agree more. Experience outweighs opinion. This is proven fact. You brought this up why?
    You posted an opinion that had no basis on experience (or facts).
    Did you read anything I said? It's really appearing that you didn't. In fact, I've even stated multiple times that I was not stating an opinion. An opinion means one would believe something a certain way. I did not do that yet you keep rambling on about a useless point.
    If you would have actually had the experience in flying with a checked in firearm and read up on the complexities of shipping a handgun, you would not have made your first post in this thread in the first place.
    My first post would have been different. Talk about beatin' a dead horse.
    That's the difference it makes.
    Whatever. Starting to sound like a broken record.
    Read my first reply to the OP, it mentions something about asking random strangers on the Internet and getting utterly false information. As it turns out, you knew nothing about the topic, but offered your opinion on it anyway. That turned out to be utterly false information.
    Yeah, yeah, blah blah. Again you made your point, let it be.


    I don't assume.
    YOUVE BEEN DOING IT MULTIPLE TIMES!!


    In closing this argument between us, let me repeat and expand on what I have stated in my first post in this thread. This has been the first OP worth commenting on in this forum since my temporary ban was lifted a week ago. This forum still sucks. The vast majority of posts are not even related to firearms. The few posts that are contain a lot of myths or outright false information.

    Most active forum members have little to none firearms experience or training, but think highly of themselves. The few forum members with firearms experience and training stay quiet and offer some insights from time to time.

    Because those with little-to-none experience just don't like to be told that they are wrong. I have been on this forum for almost 3 years now and like so many other productive members I am getting tired of it.

    I am a member of another forum, which has one main rule: read more, post less. Unfortunately in this forum, it is quite the opposite: post more, read less.
    If you hate this forum so much, why do you hang around? And no, it's not a rhetorical question. I could care less what your answer is.

    Once they do, nonsensical arguments break out that go on and on (like in this thread).
    Hey, this your handywork bud. You came in here and set us all straight. You should of left it at that and moved along. But you didn't. You had to resort to belittling. Not only that, puttin words in people's mouth and twisting around what they say. Keep accusing me of acting like I knew one hundred percent what I was talking about when I never claimed to. That's why this discussion is where it is now.

    If new members would actually read what old members posted before, this forum would be way more productive.
    How is that more productive? What, we're not allowed to discuss things in a new thread? Dang it. What's the point in that? If you or anyone comes across a thread that's been discussed many times in the past, skip over it. Leave it be. Maybe some people don't want to spend a bunch of time searching ancient threads. There might just be some new info to find by posting a new topic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hmm. Don't know why they would need a search warrant to open a gun case but not a bag.
    The answer to that question is in the links I posted. You may be ignorant of the law and your rights, but I am not.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    This part I couldn't agree more. Experience outweighs opinion. This is proven fact. You brought this up why?
    Because your post was based on no experience whatsoever, i.e., based on made up beliefs:

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I would think the best bet would be to just mail it back. I would think airport security would have kittens if they saw a gun even in a checked bag.
    This post has no bearing on reality, just myths and misconceptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Did you read anything I said? It's really appearing that you didn't. In fact, I've even stated multiple times that I was not stating an opinion. An opinion means one would believe something a certain way. I did not do that yet you keep rambling on about a useless point.
    So, what would you qualify your posts instead. Meaningless comments? Rambling? Emotionally supportive commentary? If you don't believe what you post, why post it? The OP came with a serious question and you chose to post something that you have no clue about and apparently with no conviction either? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    My first post would have been different. Talk about beatin' a dead horse.

    Whatever. Starting to sound like a broken record.

    Yeah, yeah, blah blah. Again you made your point, let it be.
    Thank you for this insightful contribution to this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    YOUVE BEEN DOING IT MULTIPLE TIMES!!
    No, I have not. I read the posts and when I see BS I call it out. You may want to read some of my other posts in this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    If you hate this forum so much, why do you hang around? And no, it's not a rhetorical question. I could care less what your answer is.
    You do understand that the last two sentences contradict each other. It either is a rhetorical question and you wouldn't care what my answer is, or it is not a rhetorical question and you would care what my answer is. If you don't care what the answer is, why do you ask?

    Now, imagine if I would not have been around. Neither you or the OP likely would have gotten the right information and would have continued to live in the land of gun fairy tales. That's why I am still around.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hey, this your handywork bud. You came in here and set us all straight. You should of left it at that and moved along. But you didn't. You had to resort to belittling. Not only that, puttin words in people's mouth and twisting around what they say. Keep accusing me of acting like I knew one hundred percent what I was talking about when I never claimed to. That's why this discussion is where it is now.
    You might want to reread this thread. I responded to your posts, i.e., to the BS you posted and to your accusations. I certainly did not accuse you of acting like you knew one hundred percent what you were talking about. Quite the opposite. I am accusing you of posting comments despite the fact that you know nothing about the subject whatsoever. It doesn't matter if your posts appear to be coming from someone who knows the subject well or not. Only the content of your posts matter. This content alone showed that you knew nothing about the subject. Again, why post if you know nothing about the subject? There is no value in that. The danger is that you post misleading or false information, because you don't know better.

    May be I have to apologize to you that I took your posts serious, but then, you would need to apologize to the OP for not taking his posts serious.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    How is that more productive? What, we're not allowed to discuss things in a new thread? Dang it. What's the point in that? If you or anyone comes across a thread that's been discussed many times in the past, skip over it. Leave it be. Maybe some people don't want to spend a bunch of time searching ancient threads. There might just be some new info to find by posting a new topic.
    The problem with most gun forums is that the same stupid discussions are being done over and over again, despite the fact that there was already ample information to answer the OP. Many of my replies in this forum are based on a 5 minute search in this forum or using Google. It took me about 5 minutes to assemble the post #5 in this thread. Yes, my experience helps with finding the right sources and do the search quickly. However, what that means is that the OPs are too lazy to spend 5-15 minutes searching for their answers. Instead, they ask random strangers, like you, what they should do, and obviously get the wrong answers.

    If you want to continue this nonsensical discussion in this thread, because you simply didn't like how I responded to your posts and that I discovered that your posts in this thread have absolutely no value, please continue. I may or may not respond. It won't be productive in any way, thus proving my point that this forum still sucks. However, if you want to help improving this forum, share your experience and expertise and learn from the experience and expertise of others.

  10. #29
    I'm not going to argue this anymore. You made your point numerous times, there's no sense continuing this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Thanks to all for your input, picking up a Nano 300 today. If we fly it will be nonstop Tampa to Chicago. Anyone have experience with United Airlines?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast