Air travel.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air travel.

1. Air travel.

I have been carrying since implemented in Illinois. I have licenses to cover where I travel for vacation. We have not flown as a family since 911 because of my wife fears. We have driven to our vacation spot In Florida since then. We drove this time in a rental and now my wife maybe wants to fly back. The only fly in the ointment is my Ruger 380. I have not flown with a firearm since 1974, long before you had to jump through hoops to bring one on board.
    Please advise what the procedure is for bringing a handgun on board in baggage now. Can it cause a major issue at check in. Obviously it can't be loaded, what about the loose ammo. Thanks all.

Air travel.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I would think the best bet would be to just mail it back. I would think airport security would have kittens if they saw a gun even in a checked bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Gun Vault advertises their locking metal gun boxes are FAA approved.

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Not tying to argue and although this is not the same ballpark, rather the same concept but I once put a luggage lock on my bag that was supposedly TSA approved and when I got it from luggage claim the lock was gone. Opened the bag up and they had put a note in there claiming the lock was not approved and had to be cut. Whether or not the lock was approved or the TSA employee just decided to lazy, we'll never know. Yes, I know, im just talking about a two dollar padlock but the moral of the story is just because a manufacturer says their product is FAA approved, it don't make it so. The TSA will approve whatever they want. I don't think I'd wanna take that chance.

Lightbulb

There is a dedicated Web page by the TSA regarding traveling with firearms, called Transporting Firearms and Ammunition. May be you should search for your answer there?

Each airline has its own rules posted on the Web, such as Delta's rules on transporting Shooting Equipment (under SPORTS EQUIPMENT). May be you should read your airline's rules?

The NRA-ILA has a number of articles on this topic too, such as Airline Transportation of Firearms. May be you should read those.

There is an entire subforum in this forum, titled Traveling With Handguns. May be you should search it for firsthand reports from members about air travel with firearms?

On the other hand, you can ask random strangers on the Internet and get utterly false information. Good luck.

Understand the complexities involved and protect yourself from unintentional consequences. Understand that you can not take possession of a handgun in a state that requires a license for possession, such as NY. This means, if you have a connection at JFK, for example, and miss your flight and are forced to stay overnight, you can not pick up your checked luggage with the firearm. You will get arrested on the next morning while trying to check in your firearm. You will be charged with a felony and spend 3.5 years (mandatory minimum) in jail. Avoid traveling through states with such gun laws.

PS: This has been the first OP worth commenting on in this forum since my temporary ban was lifted a week ago. This forum still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I would think the best bet would be to just mail it back. I would think airport security would have kittens if they saw a gun even in a checked bag.
    May be you should only comment on topics you have actually experience with and not make stuff up as you go. Here is a hint, "mailing" (the quotes are here on purpose) your firearm across states is significantly more complex than checking it in at the airline counter. The particular topic of shipping a firearm to yourself has been discussed in this forum ad nauseam.

Also, in addition to those wanting to carry their firearms while at a remote destination, hunters regularly check in their firearms. Firearms check-ins are a common procedure at most airports. I have yet to encounter any problems.

8. call the airlines and ask what their policy is and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    I am personally using a GunVault NanoVault 300. It meets the TSA guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    May be you should only comment on topics you have actually experience with and not make stuff up as you go.
    Maybe you should just refrain from quoting posts if you're gonna split hairs about what someone says that you don't approve of. How bout that? You don't like what I say, leave it alone.

11. Did not mean to set this conflict off. Thanks for all the input, bye.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast