Dicks Sporting Goods
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dicks Sporting Goods

Dicks Sporting Goods

Hey Guys,

Soo I went to Dicks to get a cleaning kit. Well when I got to the checkout, I was asked for my permit. I did not have it on me, and I asked "why do you need it for a cleaning kit". The clerk proceeded to tell me that purchasing ANYTHING firearm related required a permit. I then asked to speak to the manager who confirmed this. I was very annoyed with this. I can't believe that you need a permit for a cleaning kit. I eventually ended up getting the kit but after a long and frustrating ordeal. Anyone else have any issues with something like this?
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Sounds like something Massachusetts or an anti-gun store manager implemented .

What did the manager tell you was the reason for the requirement?
    Last edited by Red Hat; 01-02-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

If it isn't state law (and I will be shocked if a cleaning kit is only purchasable with a permit) I cannot help but wonder if **** knows his store manager is discouraging business?

Regardless, I would send the company a message that as a result of this incident you have discovered sevreal online alternatives fo both cleaning kits AND OTHER SPORTING GOODS for your future purchases.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

That is about as stupid as you can get. There is one not to far from me that bought out another sporting goods store. The previous store carried hand guns and long guns. When Dicks took over they stopped selling hand guns. Sounds like they have a problem with the 2nd Amendment. I think I will try buying some cleaning equipment to see what happens.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Dicks

Well first of all you have to consider the name (I appologize to all those "Richards" out there) and that might be a clue. Seriously this sounds like store or maybe state specific. I buy ammo at Dicks all the time and have never been asked for any ID, permit or any other type of identification. I am in Minnesota but even in other states this should not be the case. Heck tell them you use the bore cleaner to get the gunk off your toothbrush or something.

On another Dicks note, they bought out a line of stores called Gallians (maybe spelled wrong) who used to have handguns as good as Cabelas or Gander. Once it became Dicks, no more handguns. Go figure.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    Well first of all you have to consider the name (I appologize to all those "Richards" out there) and that might be a clue. Seriously this sounds like store or maybe state specific. I buy ammo at Dicks all the time and have never been asked for any ID, permit or any other type of identification. I am in Minnesota but even in other states this should not be the case. Heck tell them you use the bore cleaner to get the gunk off your toothbrush or something.

On another Dicks note, they bought out a line of stores called Gallians (maybe spelled wrong) who used to have handguns as good as Cabelas or Gander. Once it became Dicks, no more handguns. Go figure.
    That was the store I was talking about. I could not remember their name.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I believe that it was spelled Galyans.

might be something with the state you live in.. although that sounds way off to ask for a permit to buy a cleaning kit... I like ****'s because they actually have sales on ammo sometimes and you can end up on some pretty good deals.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

****'s & Cleaning kit

There is no provision in MA State law that requires a permit for a gun cleaning kit. You are only required to show your permit when purchasing firearms or ammunition. Period. This is just an example of knuckleheads being ignorant of the law. I doubt it is even ****'s policy, only a local store thing. If you find anything written in their store policy, please post it for all to see. Personally, I only purchase gun related items from my local gun store. I have never been required to show my permit when purchasing holsters, bore snakes, gun rags, speed loaders or gun cases. I live in MA.

Surfcc

I realize that PRMA is one of the most gun unfriendly states in America, but even it can't be so bad as to require a permit for cleaning equipment. I would imagine that this was a policy implemented by the manager, which, unfortunately, he's free to do. If I were you, I would have taken my business elsewhere that day.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast