Suggestions Needed Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Needed Please

Suggestions Needed Please

Hey guys/gals ! My dad is in the market for a semi, most likely a .45, probably a polymer. I think that after seeing my brothers new Glock 9mm he purchased for his Christmas present, he's finally gotten the itch to find another weapon. I told him to consider either the Glock,or an XD, but a couple of the guys at work also suggested a USP. I like the USP's, but they are rather expensive. (at least on my poor budget) So, I thought that w/ the array of knowledge and experience here, you all could help me help him weigh out the pros & cons of each.

Please, I don't mind opinions, but I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war of who is better, either.

Thanks to all in advance for your help!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

Well as you can probably guess I am partial to HK's. However a Sig or Glock would not be a bad choice either. The XD I am not as familiar with but I know they have a lot of fans. I do not own a 45 at this time but if I were looking these would be at the top of my list. What ever he chooses I would stay with a DBL action or DBL action only. That is my personal preference over a single action. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by HK4U; 01-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mot mayhem View Post
    Hey guys/gals ! My dad is in the market for a semi, most likely a .45, probably a polymer. I think that after seeing my brothers new Glock 9mm he purchased for his Christmas present, he's finally gotten the itch to find another weapon. I told him to consider either the Glock,or an XD, but a couple of the guys at work also suggested a USP. I like the USP's, but they are rather expensive. (at least on my poor budget) So, I thought that w/ the array of knowledge and experience here, you all could help me help him weigh out the pros & cons of each.

Please, I don't mind opinions, but I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war of who is better, either.

Thanks to all in advance for your help!
    Between the XD and the Glock, I'd get the XD. If you get to looking at the USP, add the LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) trigger.

I would recmd a kahr any version (K, P, CW or PM) They are a bit pricy, but they are about the best out there. Go to a local gun shop and try out the feel of as many as possible. What feels best in his hand and has the most natural point of aim is usually the best.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomsAdvocate View Post
    What feels best in his hand and has the most natural point of aim is usually the best.
    Excellent bit of advice!

Take your dad to a range and rent everything available and see what he likes. Buying a firearm is just like buying a home or a vehicle. You don't buy or rent a home without at least seeing it, you don't buy a vehicle without taking it for a test drive.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

8. 45

Sig220 generally, but my favorite is a Smith 945.

I love my XD 45 Service model. I am considering a Kahr CW 45 for carry purposes. The XD is a bit bulky for carrying in my opinion.

There have been many excellent suggestions made here. I'd like to throw the Para Warthog 45 into the mix. This is a high quality 10+1 round 45 that only weighs 24 ounces and is small enough for concealed carry. Most 45's of 1911 size or similar are really just too big and heavy for concealed carry. I have a 1911 clone so I know from experience when I say this. The Warthog is about the same weight as my polymer-framed Taurus PT-140SSP Mil Pro (40 S&W) and physically smaller. If I get another 45 ACP, this will be the one.
    MOLON LABE

I would suggest Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro .45 ACP Pistol if you are on a budget. I've had mine for a few years now and have never had a problem from it. 10 round mag and one in the tube, in a easy to conceal package. I personally find the recoil light and acceptable for a .45 cal. Uses all types of ammo and never a glitch!

Here is a link to an article with photos and a really good write up. Enjoy!!

Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro .45 ACP Pistol
    Action Is Always Faster Than Reaction!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast