Ship a gun to my new home from Oregon to Hawaii

Thread: Ship a gun to my new home from Oregon to Hawaii

1. Ship a gun to my new home from Oregon to Hawaii

Hey all,
    I am moving to Hawaii next month. I am wondering how to get my gun there.

The easiest way is to take your firearm with you as checked luggage when flying to Hawaii. As far as I know, Hawaii does not prohibit this. Also as far as I know, shipping your own firearm to Hawaii will require you to ship it to an FFL in Hawaii and then obtain a Permit to Acquire to do the transfer back to you.

Inform yourself about the applicable laws in Hawaii! Realize that Hawaii has a firearm registration and is a very unfriendly territory for gun owners. You must register the firearm within five days after the firearm enters the state.

Consult a 2A friendly lawyer in Hawaii.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    The easiest way is to take your firearm with you as checked luggage when flying to Hawaii. As far as I know, Hawaii does not prohibit this. Also as far as I know, shipping your own firearm to Hawaii will require you to ship it to an FFL in Hawaii and then obtain a Permit to Acquire to do the transfer back to you.

Inform yourself about the applicable laws in Hawaii! Realize that Hawaii has a firearm registration and is a very unfriendly territory for gun owners. You must register the firearm within five days after the firearm enters the state.

Consult a 2A friendly lawyer in Hawaii.
    Thank you for the info!!! The last thing I want to do is get caught unknowingly doing something illegal.

The permit to acquire is an affront to the law if it is required in this case. The rifle is already owned, it isn't be acquired. It does need registered by their laws as they do charge for a Right. But your contact a 2A lawyer in Hawaii is the best advice anyone can give.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

6. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    The permit to acquire is an affront to the law if it is required in this case. The rifle is already owned, it isn't be acquired. It does need registered by their laws as they do charge for a Right. But your contact a 2A lawyer in Hawaii is the best advice anyone can give.
    Thank you! I will be looking into this further for sure!

7. hey wwdreamb, moving from OR to HI, you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire as far as gun rights are concerned. Eventually HI will take your guns from you in the same vein like the federal and state governments give property rights in HI to people along racial lines. Check out https://2ahawaii.com/index.php and see what those folks say.

Quote Originally Posted by wwdreamb View Post
    Hey all,
    I am moving to Hawaii next month. I am wondering how to get my gun there.
    You don't. You have no gun rights in Hawaii. Sell the gun before you move.