Workers permit spouse firearms laws?
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Workers permit spouse firearms laws?

  1. Exclamation Workers permit spouse firearms laws?

    Hello everybody, i am new to this site and if i have posted a thread in the wrong place, please admins feel free to move/delete and/or do what you have too. I am having trouble finding certain laws that pertain to me. I have recently just gotten married, my wife is of hispanic decent with a workers permit, we are in the process of her becoming a permanent resident, but i wonder if there are any issues with me purchasing new firearms with her living with me? If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! Oh btw we live in oklahoma.

  3. If you are a U.S. citizen, older than 18, and aren't a felon, you can buy all the guns you want in OK. She can't. Spend some time Googling and reading the federal laws and those in your state and you will be fine.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    To be clear US citizens and legal permanent resident aliens have the same 2nd Amendment rights. Once your wife gets her Green Card, she has the same firearm rights you have.

    Your wife currently has a nonimmigrant visa. ATF Form 4473 provides the exemptions for purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm according to federal law:

    Question 12. Exceptions to the Nonimmigrant Alien Response: An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes; (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States; (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited; (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

    Persons subject to one of these exceptions should answer “yes” to questions 11.l. and 12 and provide documentation such as a copy of the hunting license or letter granting the waiver, which must be recorded in 20.c. If the transferee (buyer) answered “yes” to this question, the licensee must complete 20.c.
    In short, if the has a state hunting license, she is good to go from a federal law perspective. There still may be state laws that prohibit her from obtaining a hunting license or even possessing a firearm in the first place.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts