Expensive: Firearm Background Checks - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Expensive: Firearm Background Checks

JB, welcome. I hope you enjoy the posts here as much as I do!

gpbarth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Gary, I will have to agree with your reading of the text, but I'll also say that all of the 6 FFL dealers in this area insist on doing the call in. I'm going to be showing this paragraph to several people. Thanks for the enlightenment.
    Please post your findings. Last time I bought a firearm, all I had to do was fill out the form and provide my permit. Now, maybe someone was making a call that I was unaware of, but all the salesman asked me was, "Do you have a FL carry permit?"

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gpbarth View Post
    Please post your findings. Last time I bought a firearm, all I had to do was fill out the form and provide my permit. Now, maybe someone was making a call that I was unaware of, but all the salesman asked me was, "Do you have a FL carry permit?"
    The guys at the two stores I visited today basically feel it is better to call all sales in, than to not call one that should've been. Since the FFL is assessed a $5 charge for each call in, you can be assured your store isn't calling without telling you.

The guy at a little shop in Idaho told me it doesn't cost him anything and he charges nothing for the check.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

As a resident of Nevada, I think I can purchase guns in a few neighboring states (Idaho, Utah, Arizona). If one of these states doesn't have to do a background check, I might start buying my guns there. I visit a couple of these states once or twice a year anyhow.

Is this feasible?
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    As a resident of Nevada, I think I can purchase guns in a few neighboring states (Idaho, Utah, Arizona). If one of these states doesn't have to do a background check, I might start buying my guns there. I visit a couple of these states once or twice a year anyhow.

Is this feasible?
    Long guns can be purchased in non-resident states but not handguns. The only way to purchase a handgun is have it sent to an FFL in your home state and then the paperwork has to be done along with the call, if required.

Nevada NICS checks

The Nevada Sheriffs & Chiefs Association and the Nevada legislature dropped the ball on our NICS exemption. One of the terms that BATFE made when it was temporarily reinstated is that it be addressed legislatively. The Nevada Legislature failed to do that in the 2007 session.

I have heard personally from Assemblyperson Settelmeyer that his BDR will address reinstating the Nevada NICS exemption in the 2009 legislative session along with removing the specific semi-auto pistol qualification requirement so it will be any revolver and any semi-auto. I expect to see the NICS exemption portion of the bill to pass. However, I do not expect the specific semi-auto qualification requirement to pass since Bernie Anderson was re-elected.

You can buy long guns in bordering States if you have that State (or political subdivision of the State in the case of Idaho) respective CCW (i.e. AZ for AZ, ID or ID and UT for UT). AZ, ID and UT have no State law prohibition residents of bordering States from buying long guns. I can buy long guns (non-NFA/class III) all day long NICS exempt in Utah since I have a valid Utah CFP. However, I cannot buy handguns or class III/NFA firearms since I do not hold a residence in Utah.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post

Is this feasible?
    Yes. I'm in AZ every few weeks and I always go gun shopping when there. I take possession of long guns at purchase, I have handguns sent to a dealer here and I have to pay the $25 extortion on them. Generally, rifle and shotgun prices are cheaper in AZ and with the $25 theft avoided, the deal is even better. I imagine that 'fee' has cost local gunstores $$$ in actual profit in my case alone...
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

10. Because your state blows. Get a few thousand signatures and send the to your congressman. Quit whining and do something to fix it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234