How much is too much? - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

As always, hindsight will tell you how much was too much. I look at it like this: I always carry several spare mags in my vehicle. For the gun I almost always carry I have around 15 spare full mags total, not all are deployed but enough, and an identical gun as a back up gun. My other two carry pistols share mags also, and I have 6 total. Sometimes I bring an extra On me, sometimes not. I can't plan my entire existence around a perceived threat. Chances are so miniscule that I ever actually need the gun and one full mag in the first place that it seems inconsequential to dictate having a spare 'at all times'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scollatz View Post
    So when carrying a firearm, either open or concealed, depending on how many rounds your mag holds, what are we trying to be ready for. 1 assailant, a mob, a terrorist attack, all of the above?
    So should we carry 1, 2, 3 or more extra mags, a backup gun, 200 extra rounds in the car, a long gun in the trunk. Does it depend on what part of the country you live in?
    I am interested in opinions, let me know your thoughts.
    To much would be when all the extra loot begins printing and compromises concealability.

How much ammo and how many pistols or long guns are likely to be needed should depend on taking a risk assessment. If going to visit a family member in their home the risk level is likely low but if going to the bad part of town and interacting with the bad people who inhabit that bad part of town then the risk level is likely quite high.

But I find in today's world with terrorists shooting up places that used to be considered low risk my risk assessment now errs on the side of bringing more than I hopefully will need.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    No one ever said "Why did I bring all this ammo?" after a gun fight. Think about that for a moment.
    Sure, but lots of people say "why did I bring all this ammo" after a trip to the grocery store.

Always carry a spare magazine! It is not always about running out of ammunition during a gun fight. Magazine issues are the #1 root cause for malfunctions in semi-automatic firearms. Also, there is: FAST = Fight, Assess, Scan, Top off. Those that have trained know what I am talking about and know why "topping off" is important.
    Or just carry a revolver and leave all that tacticool mallninja gear at home :)

Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

Best reply:

"Sir, if the police determined it was the best thing to use to protect people such as myself and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best thing for ME to carry to protect myself and my family."

Quote Originally Posted by Genasi View Post
    Sure, but lots of people say "why did I bring all this ammo" after a trip to the grocery store.
    They do?

Interestingly enough I recently read a similar thread on pistol forum.com and in 4 pages the response was monolithic in favor of carrying a spare magazine.

I also noticed that they didn't frame it as carrying more ammunition in case you run out. They framed it as carrying a spare magazine in case of a malfunction.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

No one ever said "Why did I bring all this ammo?" after a gun fight. Think about that for a moment.
    The difference is being dead or alive. No one likely dies from bringing a magazine or two, but from leaving spare magazines at home. That's why I added the sentence: "Think about that for a moment."

Or just carry a revolver and leave all that tacticool mallninja gear at home :)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast