How much is too much?
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

1. How much is too much?

So when carrying a firearm, either open or concealed, depending on how many rounds your mag holds, what are we trying to be ready for. 1 assailant, a mob, a terrorist attack, all of the above?
    So should we carry 1, 2, 3 or more extra mags, a backup gun, 200 extra rounds in the car, a long gun in the trunk. Does it depend on what part of the country you live in?
    I am interested in opinions, let me know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scollatz View Post
    So when carrying a firearm, either open or concealed, depending on how many rounds your mag holds, what are we trying to be ready for. 1 assailant, a mob, a terrorist attack, all of the above?
    So should we carry 1, 2, 3 or more extra mags, a backup gun, 200 extra rounds in the car, a long gun in the trunk. Does it depend on what part of the country you live in?
    Well that is what the Police do and if it is good enough for them then it is good enough for me.

4. Your as bad as my wife, how many do you need, don't you have enough now?
    Can you really have enough or to many, I THINK NOT !!
    All joking aside, I carry enough to feel comfortable and a long gun or a AR pistol in the pickup.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

The following was posted by Masaad Ayoob in another thread on this topic and there's really nothing I can add to it

Two complete reloads was standard equipment for most police officers before any of us here were born. If I was asked in court why I carry spare ammunition, my answer would probably be the same as my answer for why I load with hollow point ammunition:

"Sir, if the police determined it was the best thing to use to protect people such as myself and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best thing for ME to carry to protect myself and my family."
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

No one ever said "Why did I bring all this ammo?" after a gun fight. Think about that for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scollatz View Post
    Even with a single stack mag, I don't carry a spare. I look at it like this. I carry a strong Streamlight,

and a multi-tool, which I use constantly. I never use the gun. I don't carry extra flashlights or multi-tools,

which I do use several times daily, ergo, humping mags on a gun I may never use doesn't make much

sense, now does it?

I CC to exercise my rights. The actual gun itself is a deterrent, a measure of resistance, which no matter

how well logistically supplied could be overcome with enough extra force. Considering I rarely travel alone,

and I moved to a sane area of the country, I don't see the point in overcrowding my belt.

Since I hunt a lot, and do a lot of pest control on the property, I do carry some other firearms in the truck.

JMHO, YMMV.

Always carry a spare magazine! It is not always about running out of ammunition during a gun fight. Magazine issues are the #1 root cause for malfunctions in semi-automatic firearms. Also, there is: FAST = Fight, Assess, Scan, Top off. Those that have trained know what I am talking about and know why "topping off" is important.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OR, leave Beirut, and move to an area where your life isn't

dependent upon the logistic support of your firearm...

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OR, leave Beirut, and move to an area where your life isn't dependent upon the logistic support of your firearm...
    Where would that be?

I live outside of Charleston, SC. The nine church members murdered there during a Bible study weren't meeting in a war zone.

Americans are attacked in malls, schools, athletic events, restaurants, Christmas parties, their nice homes--not in "Beirut." Any quiet, safe place can become a killing field in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    Where would that be?

I live outside of Charleston, SC. The nine church members murdered there during a Bible study weren't meeting in a war zone.

Americans are attacked in malls, schools, athletic events, restaurants, Christmas parties, their nice homes--not in "Beirut." Any quiet, safe place can become a killing field in a flash.
    But there was only 1 shooter.

Of all the good guy with a gun stories we see on gun forums and in the news we see, can you recall any where the good guy had a need to reload?
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast