Liberty civil defense ammo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liberty civil defense ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Blredneck13 View Post
    The interwebs I spoke about would be google in case you were unaware google is on the interwebs. I was just asking if anyone had experience and their thoughts on this because I saw some very interesting ballistics gel and other test performed. Plus I liked the thought of not having over penetration and potentially injuring/killing a bystander with say a gold dot or HST if for some reason they didn't expand like advertised, because we know factory claimed specs are conducted in an ideal world that doesn't exist.
    This new technology in bullets seems to work based on the copper bullets exploding on impact due to the extremely high velocities.

The extremely high velocities are due to the extremely light bullets.

For my hunting bullets in 200 grain at about the same muzzle velocity as the copper jacketed lead, the solid copper seems not to expand at all.

So this new development in handgun ammo (pistols and revolvers) is certainly worth a look.

In some things I am indeed an "early innovator".

But in others where my life depends on it I tend towards "old school" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Blredneck13 View Post
    This amunition was brought to my attention at a local gun store. I did what everyone does when something new is shown hit the interwebs and YouTube. Saw some interesting results, the 9mm is 50 grain leadless bullet moving at or about 2,000 fps saw a video of it beating level 2 body armor. Apparently designed do prevent over penetration being a frang round. Just curious if anyone has any experience with this round.
    Liberty Civil Defense 9mm can even defeat Level IIIa body armor (see the video below).

Ballistics gel tests do not directly translate to what actually happens when a human gets shot. Fragmenting handgun rounds, such as Liberty Civil Defense, generally underperform in terms of wound channel and penetration depth in comparison to standard JHP rounds.

There is a reason why no law enforcement agency in the US carries a fragmenting copper handgun round, and all law enforcement agencies in the US carry bonded JHP rounds. Most carry Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot. It is your choice to believe in the hype of a round that a company sells you for $1 per round, or in the trusted round for $0.36 per round.

Most innocent bystanders are hit by misses and not by pass-throughs, just ask the NYPD how they do that. A full-body pass-through of a JHP round is close to non-lethal as it spend most of its energy. A pass through a hand or arm of any round is still lethal. Your ammunition selection does not mean you can start violating rule #4: Be sure of your target, and what is behind it.

4. I bought the .380 version of the Liberty round but I'm too chicken to try it out in the Taurus P738!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mikestone967 View Post
    I bought the .380 version of the Liberty round but I'm too chicken to try it out in the Taurus P738!
    Here is the test for the .380 ACP version: Liberty Ammunition—Civil Defense Line Review. It is apparently "very pleasant to shoot".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12