Looking for a decent pistol safe. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a decent pistol safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    I have the biometric speedvault mounted to the side of my couch in the living room. I also have another type of biometric safe upstairs. Overall I have no problems with the biometric reading of either of my safes. With this speed safe though is more of a finger swipe over the scanner than a normal reader. You first hit a button and then swipe your finger across it. There is a 1-2 second delay between the time it beeps and the time it opens. Just to be on the safe side, I swipe my finger 2-3 times during this delay to make sure it opens each time. On my bigger safer with normal reader I have never had a bad read

I don't know how big your couch is or how heavy it is but I don't think I'm a big fan of having the safe out in the open like that, especially in a living room. Does your gun stay in that safe all the time even when you're away from home?

3. Its not actually in the open. Theres an end table that sits next to it which I moved away to take the picture and the gf made sort of a slip cover for it too. Yes a gun remains in it at all times. Much of the time I sleep on the couch and wanted something to keep within reach. The safe is meant for child proofing more so then theft but I doubt anyone coming into the house would move furniture in an attempt to search my couch

People sell gun safes used all the time. We just picked up a 600$ Centurion for 325$ from a guy who is on his way to SHAPE and can't take it with him. Try looking through online sale pages in your area
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Well, I decided on the Sentry Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe. They had them at Walmart for 99 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    Its not actually in the open. Theres an end table that sits next to it which I moved away to take the picture and the gf made sort of a slip cover for it too. Yes a gun remains in it at all times. Much of the time I sleep on the couch and wanted something to keep within reach. The safe is meant for child proofing more so then theft but I doubt anyone coming into the house would move furniture in an attempt to search my couch
    Oh, ok. I was just curious.

7. I have the Gun vault with the pin pad it works great for temporary storage when children visit but it far from quick access in an emergency. Delayed reaction from unlocking mechanism and noisey which doesn't give you the element of surprise. Otherwise it's a decent safe.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Well, I decided on the Sentry Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe. They had them at Walmart for 99 bucks.
    Looks like a good choice. Not cheap however.

My gun box cost only $50.

Now you need to figure out a way to secure it to wherever you want it.

Mine I drilled a hole through with my 1/4 inch drill bit, then put a padlock through that, attached to a heavy chain, which then secures to anything I want to secure it with another padlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    People sell gun safes used all the time. We just picked up a 600$ Centurion for 325$ from a guy who is on his way to SHAPE and can't take it with him. Try looking through online sale pages in your area
    I lover my Centurion !!

Liberty Inc makes great safes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidq1100 View Post
    I have the Gun vault with the pin pad it works great for temporary storage when children visit but it far from quick access in an emergency. Delayed reaction from unlocking mechanism and noisey which doesn't give you the element of surprise. Otherwise it's a decent safe.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry
    I didn't get my Sentry Safe for quick access, I just got it primarily for secure lockup when I'm not home but, it's nice that the buttons don't emit an audible tone when pressed, though. They just light up and blink appropriately. The lid is a little noisy upon opening but it's really not all that loud.

Hopefully the batteries last longer than what some of the reviews said which was anywhere from like four to six weeks. But at least it has low battery indicator so you can hopefully see it beforehand and not have to find out at the most inopportune time in the middle of the night when your life may depend on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Looks like a good choice. Not cheap however.

My gun box cost only $50.

Now you need to figure out a way to secure it to wherever you want it.

Mine I drilled a hole through with my 1/4 inch drill bit, then put a padlock through that, attached to a heavy chain, which then secures to anything I want to secure it with another padlock.
    Actually it wasn't all that bad. Walmart had it for 99 bucks. Cabela's has it for nearly 130...lol.

Since I don't have a need to carry mine with me, I just went ahead and secured it in an out of sight location. I did however enlarge the bolt holes a little so they could accommodate much bigger lag screws.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast