Looking for a decent pistol safe.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Looking for a decent pistol safe.

  1. #1

    Looking for a decent pistol safe.

    Looking to get a pistol safe either like, or similar to the two pictured.

    Just curious if any of you guys use one of these and what you think of them or have any ideas or input.

    I'm thinking of getting one so that I can leave my house pistol on the headboard or in the nightstand or something but still have it locked and secured when nobody's home.

    Thanks.



  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    First, do not use these as what they are advertised for, as quick access safes. Nothing about using a safe as quick access as simply just carrying or placing the gun within reach.

    I would not recommend the biometric ones, as their reliability to open when needed is not good. For the electronically operated ones, use one with battery and external power supply. The battery should work as a backup to the external power. Also, always know where your backup key is. Understand that these can be broken into by someone who knows how the backup key lock works.

    I have the GunVault MiniVault Deluxe (GV 1000D), the GunVault MultiVault Deluxe (GV2000C-DLX) and the GunVault NanoVault 300 for various applications. I never had any problems with mine. The Deluxe editions are bolted to a floor or wall, while the NanoVault is attached to the seat of my car with a steel cable. The Deluxe editions also do have a motion detector with audio alarm, just in case someone is taking the crowbar to it. The NanoVault's steel cable can be defeated with a bolt cutter.

    Another alternative are safes with a purely mechanical simplex lock. The Fort Knox Pistol Vaults are the top of the line products in this category. The American Security Handgun Safes are good too.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    First, do not use these as what they are advertised for, as quick access safes. Nothing about using a safe as quick access as simply just carrying or placing the gun within reach.

    I would not recommend the biometric ones, as their reliability to open when needed is not good. For the electronically operated ones, use one with battery and external power supply. The battery should work as a backup to the external power. Also, always know where your backup key is. Understand that these can be broken into by someone who knows how the backup key lock works.

    I have the GunVault MiniVault Deluxe (GV 1000D), the GunVault MultiVault Deluxe (GV2000C-DLX) and the GunVault NanoVault 300 for various applications. I never had any problems with mine. The Deluxe editions are bolted to a floor or wall, while the NanoVault is attached to the seat of my car with a steel cable. The Deluxe editions also do have a motion detector with audio alarm, just in case someone is taking the crowbar to it. The NanoVault's steel cable can be defeated with a bolt cutter.

    Another alternative are safes with a purely mechanical simplex lock. The Fort Knox Pistol Vaults are the top of the line products in this category. The American Security Handgun Safes are good too.
    So, if you don't recommend the biometric safes for reliability issues, why do you have two? Plus, I don't know how long you've had yours but you state you haven't had problems with either of them.

    But I guess in all actuality, when I'm at home, I really don't need a biometric safe to keep my bedside gun secured in, even as I sleep because while I'm at home, my gun can be left out in the open on the headboard. It's when I leave is when I want it secured. A big, upright gun safe would probably be better bet but I don't plan on ever owning that many guns or ammunition to justify the nearly thousand bucks in price for one of them big, honkin' things.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    So, if you don't recommend the biometric safes for reliability issues, why do you have two? Plus, I don't know how long you've had yours but you state you haven't had problems with either of them.

    But I guess in all actuality, when I'm at home, I really don't need a biometric safe to keep my bedside gun secured in, even as I sleep because while I'm at home, my gun can be left out in the open on the headboard. It's when I leave is when I want it secured. A big, upright gun safe would probably be better bet but I don't plan on ever owning that many guns or ammunition to justify the nearly thousand bucks in price for one of them big, honkin' things.
    If you look at the actual model numbers and links I posted, you would realize that I don't have the biometric safes. GunVault makes both, with and without biometric readers. I had mine now for slightly over 4 years.

    Read Gun Safe Buyer’s Guide. Sometimes a toolbox, like a RIGID Storage Chest, is just as good as a big gun safe.

  6. Hi corneileous,

    Both are good, but i think you must go with the first one as one of my friend is using this one and it is good. Even you can check the rating and review regarding this in the below link.

    https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-SV50...D001ZA1DXG6TKW

    Here you will also get answers to your queries regarding this product as people who are using this have answered so many queries there.

    Good Luck.. :)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    1,550
    I've read too many negative reviews for biometric locks. They just aren't reliable enough for me to trust. I prefer keypad combo with key backup. That's what we have on our "big, honkin''" safe. On our pistol lockbox for the Jeep we have a simple combo lock and security cable.

    If we're home, the carrying gun is either being worn or set out. If we're away, the carrying gun is with us. All our other guns are locked in the big safe when not in use. We keep our bulk ammo in a cheap key-locked safe that's more like a locker.

    When you narrow down your choices, read verified buyers' reviews at sales sites, even if you're going to shop elsewhere.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Looking to get a pistol safe either like, or similar to the two pictured.

    Just curious if any of you guys use one of these and what you think of them or have any ideas or input.

    I'm thinking of getting one so that I can leave my house pistol on the headboard or in the nightstand or something but still have it locked and secured when nobody's home.

    Thanks.


    Mine is similar to the flat square one pictured.

    I only use it in my car for times when I cannot take the pistol with me.

    Then I lock it and the spare mag inside the metal box.

    I also drilled a 1/4 inch hole completely through a corner of the box, through which I fit a padlock and a chain, which is chained to the interior of my car with another padlock. It would require a hacksaw and a lot of time, or a really big chain cutter, to get the box out of the car.

    The padlock keep the metal box closed. It is impossible to open it without removing the padlock from it.

  9. #8

    Looking for a decent pistol safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    If you look at the actual model numbers and links I posted, you would realize that I don't have the biometric safes. GunVault makes both, with and without biometric readers. I had mine now for slightly over 4 years.
    I did look but as you can see from the picture below, the mechanism on top is in the shape of a hand with what looks like fingerprint sensors. Are these combination buttons, or what? They didn't appear to have numbers printed on them. Besides, Gun Vault's website does a horrible job describing the products so, I don't know how they work. But since you have two, perhaps you could do a better job describing them.

    Read Gun Safe Buyer’s Guide. Sometimes a toolbox, like a RIGID Storage Chest, is just as good as a big gun safe.
    I never thought about one of them lanky things. That might not fit through the doors. Lol.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Mine is similar to the flat square one pictured.

    I only use it in my car for times when I cannot take the pistol with me.

    Then I lock it and the spare mag inside the metal box.

    I also drilled a 1/4 inch hole completely through a corner of the box, through which I fit a padlock and a chain, which is chained to the interior of my car with another padlock. It would require a hacksaw and a lot of time, or a really big chain cutter, to get the box out of the car.

    The padlock keep the metal box closed. It is impossible to open it without removing the padlock from it.
    Which one do you have?

  11. #10

    Looking for a decent pistol safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    I've read too many negative reviews for biometric locks. They just aren't reliable enough for me to trust. I prefer keypad combo with key backup. That's what we have on our "big, honkin''" safe. On our pistol lockbox for the Jeep we have a simple combo lock and security cable.


    If we're home, the carrying gun is either being worn or set out. If we're away, the carrying gun is with us. All our other guns are locked in the big safe when not in use. We keep our bulk ammo in a cheap key-locked safe that's more like a locker.

    When you narrow down your choices, read verified buyers' reviews at sales sites, even if you're going to shop elsewhere.

    Yeah, that's why I said, I don't guess I need a fingerprint box as much as I thought I did before because the gun is more than likely gonna spend its time on the headboard when I'm home and only gonna be in the lock box whenever I leave.

    I used to carry this gun wherever I went but since I now have my much smaller pistol that's always on me, this one just pretty serves as a home defense pistol now.

    I take it you didn't appreciate my humorous terminology of a big, upright gun safe??...Looking for a decent pistol safe.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast