What are THE most accurate .380 ACP pistols out there? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: What are THE most accurate .380 ACP pistols out there?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas girl View Post
    I just put myself on waiting list for a Spectrum too. Yesterday I had a small purse...it was a struggle fitting my Glock 43 in it. The dealer I'm on list with is charging under $300 for the special color combinations. If I hate it...I'll sell it.
    When do you think you'll get it?

    Post a review after you get it, please. :)

    (What color did you order?)

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    I do have a new Taurus Spectrum on order. I do not know anything about it other than the marketing hype, but I am going to try it.
    When do expect to get it?

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Monterey County, CA
    Posts
    159
    I'm going to agree with "missoak". Try the SigSauer P238. While I agree with some of the people who posted, full size handguns are much more accurate in the right hands, I enjoy the challenge of the smaller handguns. I have a Sig 1911 in .45 ACP and really enjoy shooting it (sweet trigger). I also own a Springfield XD subcompact in 9 mm. Shooting these short barreled guns has made me much more accurate with the 1911. However the 1911 is much too bulky and heavy for personal carry (for me). The little "Baby Sig" is easier to conceal, lighter weight. I love the night sights they're wonderful on the night stand. The only negative is the 7 round mag capacity. But, it is easy to carry more mags.

    Any situation you might find yourself in would probably be up close and personal. So, in my humble opinion, even a .22 would be better than nothing, but the .380 or 9mm would do more damage.
    "I would like to see every woman know how to handle guns as naturally as they know how to handle babies." Annie Oakley

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,891
    Accuracy depends more on the shooter than the gun 99% of the time. The .380 acp is a "very up close" and personal gun (point & shoot), therefor, accuracy should be least of concern. I've owned and shot a number of .380 acp and find the Glock 42 OVERALL performance second to none.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Accuracy depends more on the shooter than the gun 99% of the time. The .380 acp is a "very up close" and personal gun (point & shoot), therefor, accuracy should be least of concern. I've owned and shot a number of .380 acp and find the Glock 42 OVERALL performance second to none.
    I gotta chime in here.
    A very good 380ACP for a good price is the Bersa Thunder.

    In general, I'd say a 380 is fine out to 7 yards for self defense with proper ammo, but I'd never expect great accuracy out of the caliber. "Up close & personal" definitely.

    For comparison's sake as far as accuracy:
    At 7 yards w/the Bersa mentioned, I group 8"
    Same distance w/my 1911, I can put 8 rds in a 4" group in 5 seconds.

    Sooooo, as with any weapon system, the equipment has to meet your mission criteria.
    Mine is self defense + target to 50 yards, so I choose a 1911 to cover both. If I didn't care about distance, all I'd need would be reliability in hitting an attacker inside 21 feet.




    USAF(Ret)

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,891
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiddySW View Post
    I gotta chime in here.
    A very good 380ACP for a good price is the Bersa Thunder.

    In general, I'd say a 380 is fine out to 7 yards for self defense with proper ammo, but I'd never expect great accuracy out of the caliber. "Up close & personal" definitely.

    Sooooo, as with any weapon system, the equipment has to meet your mission criteria.
    Mine is self defense + target to 50 yards, so I choose a 1911 to cover both. If I didn't care about distance, all I'd need would be reliability in hitting an attacker inside 21 feet.




    USAF(Ret)
    The only thing that I differ with you here is that you would "never expect great accuracy out of the caliber", because as you say, "as with any weapon system, the equipment has to meet your mission criteria". And I stand firm when I say, "accuracy depends more on the shooter than the gun 99% of the time".
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    The only thing that I differ with you here is that you would "never expect great accuracy out of the caliber", because as you say, "as with any weapon system, the equipment has to meet your mission criteria". And I stand firm when I say, "accuracy depends more on the shooter than the gun 99% of the time".
    Ok, yes it does. Most if not all firearms accuracy capabilities are better than the person shooting it. However, looks like I didn't properly qualify my statement so let's try again:
    "As compared to larger handguns, I don't expect AS good accuracy from a 380, not only due to the cartridge, but also because of barrel lengths, and all other factors that affect its ballistics."

    That said, we also have to consider range in the accuracy equation. Inside of 5 yards, someone may well match the accuracy a person equally qualified gets from a 357mag, 40 or 45.

    At 50 yards however, I doubt it would happen.

    In between 6-50 yards, I expect larger rounds to almost always outperform it, again when shooters are equally skilled.

    An aside:
    There's the occasion when someone is just really good and well practiced when they may match or outperform another shooter with a larger round and better quality firearm.
    Take some country boys (my kin) who can put a 308 round out of an off the shelf deer rifle into a milk jug at 500 yards near every shot.
    And, some people think for that 1000 yard accuracy requires a specialized weapon system, maybe like a 338 Lapua with a NightForce BEAST scope sitting on it.
    Ok, the system is much more capable than a Remington 700 or the like, but if a guy uses his 30-06 or 308 long enough, he will outshoot a NOOB using a $10K 338 sniper system every time.

    Guess my point, if indeed I have one, is that yes, a 380 used properly by the right person can yield good accuracy however far said person has learned to shoot with it. But let's face it, there's not many who shoot anything enough to develop skills to that level.
    If a person trains properly they will at some point approach maxing their weapons capability. But odds are, off the shelf, a new full size gun will hit better than a 380 in the same shooter's hands. Hence my saying I don't "expect" much accuracy out of the round because the statement is based on the aforementioned factors and in the stated cases, that "I" failed to state :))
    Whew! I think I got it the way I mean it now.

    I carried a Bersa Thunder 380 for about a year once. At targets it was ok to 7 yards, and i was comfortable if I had to use it for defense. Now I'd consider it for a BUG only because I love my 1911's but that's a whole other, overdone debate that boils down to personal preference. But since I just brought it up I need to make one comment about 1911's and the thumb safety: I practice taking the safety off as part of my draw, I carry cocked and locked like John Browning designed it, and the SA trigger at 4lb suits the hell out of ME!

    I thank you for making me think! Not so much for having to type all that! :)




    USAF(Ret)

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,891
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiddySW View Post
    I love my 1911's but that's a whole other, overdone debate that boils down to personal preference. But since I just brought it up I need to make one comment about 1911's and the thumb safety: I practice taking the safety off as part of my draw, I carry cocked and locked like John Browning designed it, and the SA trigger at 4lb suits the hell out of ME!
    USAF(Ret)
    I too like my 1911's, however, my personal preference has always been CONDITION 2- magazine inserted, round in the chamber, hammer forward.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I too like my 1911's, however, my personal preference has always been CONDITION 2- magazine inserted, round in the chamber, hammer forward.
    So you practice draw and fire thumbing the hammer?

    Wouldn't carry that way personally. You're ok with having to thumb the hammer on a defensive draw?

    May I ask what the reason behind that is for you? Am not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand.



    USAF(Ret)

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,891
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiddySW View Post
    So you practice draw and fire thumbing the hammer?

    Wouldn't carry that way personally. You're ok with having to thumb the hammer on a defensive draw?

    May I ask what the reason behind that is for you? Am not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand.



    USAF(Ret)
    .
    Yep, I can thumb the hammer just as fast as I can unlock it. Reason...Simply a greater liking for one alternative over another. Works for me.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast