What are THE most accurate .380 ACP pistols out there? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are THE most accurate .380 ACP pistols out there?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Yep, I can thumb the hammer just as fast as I can unlock it. Reason...Simply a greater liking for one alternative over another. Works for me.
    Alrighty then :). That's the important thing after all!
    Curious though, you don't leave the thumb safety engaged while holstered? I'd think if you did it'd make it too difficult to thumb the hammer.

USAF(Ret)

3. I am not sure what reason you guys are carrying. I carry for self defense. What possible self defense reason would cause you to take a 50yard shot? If my danger is 50 yards away, I'm outa there, no shots taken. I do believe modern handguns are more accurate than almost all people shooting them. Some very few exceptions. A handgun is a tool. You wouldn't try to dig a hole with a rake, you would use a shovel, you do a job with the proper tool.. My S&W bodyguard is as accurate at the distance it was designed for, as any other pistol, maybe more accurate than some. I would not attempt to take down a bad guy at 50 yards and probably neither should you. From what Ive seen NYPD couldn't hit a bad guy right in front of them, without taking out a dozen innocent bystanders. Maybe you 50 yard guys should be carrying rifles.

4. Quote Originally Posted by DGeorge View Post
    I am not sure what reason you guys are carrying. I carry for self defense. What possible self defense reason would cause you to take a 50yard shot? If my danger is 50 yards away, I'm outa there, no shots taken. I do believe modern handguns are more accurate than almost all people shooting them. Some very few exceptions. A handgun is a tool. You wouldn't try to dig a hole with a rake, you would use a shovel, you do a job with the proper tool.. My S&W bodyguard is as accurate at the distance it was designed for, as any other pistol, maybe more accurate than some. I would not attempt to take down a bad guy at 50 yards and probably neither should you. From what Ive seen NYPD couldn't hit a bad guy right in front of them, without taking out a dozen innocent bystanders. Maybe you 50 yard guys should be carrying rifles.
    Guess I should've explained. Sorry.
    I take 50 yard shots at targets.

Unless someone that far off was firing at me, and I couldn't get to cover (rare, like in an open field, desert), there'd be no reason to fire. Odds are if someone fired at me from that distance they'd be using a rifle and would put me down.
    I'd immediately hit the dirt if I was taking incoming fire from a distance and was able to it intentionally rather than their shot(s) making it happen...then I'd return fire as I deemed necessary to survive....shooting pistol from the ground is fairly simple and you can get better support for aiming. If I carried a small caliber I'd not have that option being as feasible as with a 45.

What I like about a 1911 is it serves two purposes for me: Defense, and target (I only go to 50yds).
    Consider the accurate range of a 380, 9mm or similar vs a 1911 in 45ACP, and think which one is better for 50 yd silhouette.

Hell, the same principle applies in comparing an AR-15 to a Ruger 10/22 way I see it :)

If I'm ever shot at by LE, I'll pray it's in NYC.

USAF(Ret)

If you noticed on the chart, the .32 acp has more 1 shot stops than the .380. I own two .32 acp pistols, a Kel Tec P-32 for pocket and a Bersa Thunder .32 also. Both are accurate and dependable. I have 750 flawless rounds thru the Kel Tec and over 800 flawless rounds thru the Bersa.
    I use these for carry and also home defense.

6. This is an interesting thread. I actually stay away from caliber discussions for the most part. I enjoy shooting my larger caliber handguns at the range but my EDC's are 9mm and .380 because I can't envision an instance where I would be firing in SD at 50 feet never mind 50 yards.

I have seen graphs, pie charts, and other statistics that more or less reinforce the idea that a CC shoot would be inside 25 feet but it's just common sense to me that outside that range the legal jeopardy of a bad shoot, innocents collateral damage, or my own ability to find cover would be strong considerations.

It's sort of geographically dependent in this country but turning a parking lot or public area into a long range shooting gallery will usually result in a bad outcome.

If a threat presents itself in a manner that requires CC muscle memory then I'd expect it to be fairly close up and personal. There's not a lot of time to think but snapping off rounds at a distance, regardless of how you train, will have a lot of people asking hard questions about whether or not it was an actual SD response.

The Place To Be

Quote Originally Posted by niceshootintex View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I actually stay away from caliber discussions for the most part. I enjoy shooting my larger caliber handguns at the range but my EDC's are 9mm and .380 because I can't envision an instance where I would be firing in SD at 50 feet never mind 50 yards.

I have seen graphs, pie charts, and other statistics that more or less reinforce the idea that a CC shoot would be inside 25 feet but it's just common sense to me that outside that range the legal jeopardy of a bad shoot, innocents collateral damage, or my own ability to find cover would be strong considerations.

It's sort of geographically dependent in this country but turning a parking lot or public area into a long range shooting gallery will usually result in a bad outcome.

If a threat presents itself in a manner that requires CC muscle memory then I'd expect it to be fairly close up and personal. There's not a lot of time to think but snapping off rounds at a distance, regardless of how you train, will have a lot of people asking hard questions about whether or not it was an actual SD response.

The Place To Be
    A recent highly publicized incident took place with the victims stuck on a baseball field and the attacker shooting at them with a rifle. Don't confuse more likely scenarios with possible scenarios. Yes, there is a possible scenario where you may need to legally defend yourself against a shooter that is 50 or even 100 yards away. Yes, innocent people may be running through your line of fire. Not shooting back may get you and other innocent people killed.

See it this way, if you go by statistics, you can just carry an empty gun, because most defensive gun uses do not involve firing the gun. Or, carry a gun with 2 or 3 rounds, because most defensive gun uses that do involve firing the gun have 2-3 shots fired. Just because large round count or long distance engagements are rare, doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for them. If you have never trained for and practiced such scenarios, you will not know how to deal with them when they happen.

This has less to do with "CC muscle memory", but more with fundamentals. I can make 1st-shot hits on a man-sized target at 50 yards with all of my handguns (mostly 9mm). I also can make hits on a man-sized target at 100 yards (and not run out of ammo without a single hit). The key to that is just properly executing the fundamentals of handgun shooting. Line up your sights correctly and press the trigger without disturbing the sight picture. Note that there is a significant drop/holdover at 100 yards that you only know from training/practice.

As for innocent people that may be running through your line of fire, I usually get ridiculed in this forum when I tell people that I do attend advanced training classes where students are downrange or in your way of movement and one has to be aware of that. This is realistic training under controlled conditions that prepares one exactly for what could happen in a deadly force event. The 4 rules of firearm safety are never violated in such training drills.

Lastly, people often confuse skills with tactics. You are arguing for not training/practicing a skill that may safe your life in one scenario, because it may be illegal in another scenario. Being able to shoot someone at 50 or 100 yards is a skill. The tactics decide if that skill is needed in a particular situation. If you learn that skill, you will always have it in your "tool box".

8. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    A recent highly publicized incident took place with the victims stuck on a baseball field and the attacker shooting at them with a rifle. Don't confuse more likely scenarios with possible scenarios. Yes, there is a possible scenario where you may need to legally defend yourself against a shooter that is 50 or even 100 yards away. Yes, innocent people may be running through your line of fire. Not shooting back may get you and other innocent people killed.

See it this way, if you go by statistics, you can just carry an empty gun, because most defensive gun uses do not involve firing the gun. Or, carry a gun with 2 or 3 rounds, because most defensive gun uses that do involve firing the gun have 2-3 shots fired. Just because large round count or long distance engagements are rare, doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for them. If you have never trained for and practiced such scenarios, you will not know how to deal with them when they happen.

This has less to do with "CC muscle memory", but more with fundamentals. I can make 1st-shot hits on a man-sized target at 50 yards with all of my handguns (mostly 9mm). I also can make hits on a man-sized target at 100 yards (and not run out of ammo without a single hit). The key to that is just properly executing the fundamentals of handgun shooting. Line up your sights correctly and press the trigger without disturbing the sight picture. Note that there is a significant drop/holdover at 100 yards that you only know from training/practice.

As for innocent people that may be running through your line of fire, I usually get ridiculed in this forum when I tell people that I do attend advanced training classes where students are downrange or in your way of movement and one has to be aware of that. This is realistic training under controlled conditions that prepares one exactly for what could happen in a deadly force event. The 4 rules of firearm safety are never violated in such training drills.

Lastly, people often confuse skills with tactics. You are arguing for not training/practicing a skill that may safe your life in one scenario, because it may be illegal in another scenario. Being able to shoot someone at 50 or 100 yards is a skill. The tactics decide if that skill is needed in a particular situation. If you learn that skill, you will always have it in your "tool box".
    So, I shoot at 50 feet only at my club because it is the only distance you can shoot from abiding by the range rules. I do that at least once a week and usually 60-100 rounds with my primary EDC. I'm good with all my guns at 50 feet.

I go to a pay as you go club about once every month with friends. I can shoot at virtually any distance out to 30 yards there but usually stay at 7-10 yards. I'm nails at those distances with mostly snap shots.

Can I hit a moving target at 100-150 yards with a 3 in barrel 9mm? Maybe but I never train at that distance so probably not. I read your scenario and I'm pretty adaptable but I don't see me in the midst of one anytime soon.

If I were ever faced with an active long gun situation, I'd be more inclined to get good cover, look for chances (back to me or reloading) for clean not hurried trigger squeeze, save ammo, and let them come to me.

It might be in my toolbox if the world gets crazier than even the idiocy we have now but then I'd be more inclined to up the caliber, definitely the barrel length, and carry a lot more rounds. If things go nuts and rifles become the solution then I have a lot of answers.

The Place To Be

Quote Originally Posted by niceshootintex View Post
    So, I shoot at 50 feet only at my club because it is the only distance you can shoot from abiding by the range rules. I do that at least once a week and usually 60-100 rounds with my primary EDC. I'm good with all my guns at 50 feet.

I go to a pay as you go club about once every month with friends. I can shoot at virtually any distance out to 30 yards there but usually stay at 7-10 yards. I'm nails at those distances with mostly snap shots.

Can I hit a moving target at 100-150 yards with a 3 in barrel 9mm? Maybe but I never train at that distance so probably not. I read your scenario and I'm pretty adaptable but I don't see me in the midst of one anytime soon.

If I were ever faced with an active long gun situation, I'd be more inclined to get good cover, look for chances (back to me or reloading) for clean not hurried trigger squeeze, save ammo, and let them come to me.

It might be in my toolbox if the world gets crazier than even the idiocy we have now but then I'd be more inclined to up the caliber, definitely the barrel length, and carry a lot more rounds. If things go nuts and rifles become the solution then I have a lot of answers.

The Place To Be
    I am using a rifle range with steel targets for my 50 and 100 yards shots. 9mm out of a 3-inch barrel is still deadly at those distances. As for hitting what you are aiming at, I do those shots with my S&W Shield 9mm, Glock 26 (9mm), Glock 19 (9mm) and Glock 20 (10mm). As for such long distance scenarios, getting pinned down by an active shooter in a mall or big box store counts too (see the Westgate shopping mall attack in Kenya).

You are right, cover, and slow and accurate (paced and placed) shots are of importance. I regularly see this in classes, where people run out of ammo in a simulated engagement that involves a prolonged gunfight.

Handgun barrel length provides you with slightly more velocity and longer sight radius with slightly better accuracy. Shooting fundamentals are more important. See my post #3 in this thread on that. A bigger caliber (than 9mm) may actually be detrimental as you are reducing capacity. 10mm would be an option due to its flatter trajectory and more speed/energy downrange.

As for rifles, that's the SHTF situation that is likely never going to happen. You are not going to carry a rifle on the streets. It will be sitting in the car, unused, at best. Rifles are good for defending your home or business, though.

Is this the place everybody claims their .380 is the best?

I have made yet another EDC change, now a Springfield XD40 SC Mod 2 with a XDS 40 as backup. I still trust a 380, but I now have extra ammo of the same caliber for my EDC. If available they would both be 357 Sig

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234