380 Kahr CW380 vs LCP II vs PICO - discuss

Thread: 380 Kahr CW380 vs LCP II vs PICO - discuss

1. 380 Kahr CW380 vs LCP II vs PICO - discuss

There are the only three weapons I would like to address here - for true pocket carry. How would you rank these and why? LCP II has better trigger pull weight, similar to Kahr. Pico has improved, but still heavier trigger. Higher bore axis for LCP II. Kahr needs 200 rounds to be reliable? I'm interested in:

Reliability first

Comparative recoil

Accuracy (I know they are mouse guns for 7 yards)

Ammo selectivity

I currently have a Kahr CM9, Taurus 38 snubby and Kel-tec P32 (love them all). I know there are several fantastic 380s (Sig, Glock, S&W), but I ask we only address the ones listed above - again as I believe they are the smallest for pocket carry, excluding Rohrbaugh, Boberg and Seekamp (I think).

Thank you!

Mark

3. Quote Originally Posted by Markallen View Post
    There are the only three weapons I would like to address here - for true pocket carry. How would you rank these and why? LCP II has better trigger pull weight, similar to Kahr. Pico has improved, but still heavier trigger. Higher bore axis for LCP II. Kahr needs 200 rounds to be reliable? I'm interested in:

Reliability first

Comparative recoil

Accuracy (I know they are mouse guns for 7 yards)

Ammo selectivity

I currently have a Kahr CM9, Taurus 38 snubby and Kel-tec P32 (love them all). I know there are several fantastic 380s (Sig, Glock, S&W), but I ask we only address the ones listed above - again as I believe they are the smallest for pocket carry, excluding Rohrbaugh, Boberg and Seekamp (I think).

Thank you!

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LCP II is too long for my back jeans pocket, at least in the Ruger Nylon holster it comes with, (I just tried it with a Bianchi 152 holster and it is better, if it fit deeper in the holster, it might work. I have another pocket holster coming for it from Blue Force Gear, won't have it till mid March) it doesn't come above the pocket, but some one standing behind me can see it in the pocket. So it depends on my clothes and what else I might be armed with if I carry it. The Gun has good enough sights, they are usable. I like the trigger a little better than the Kahr. It is stand alone reliable. Pretty accurate. It is hammer fired single action where the previous LCP's were double action. Eats all ammo. Very snappy with most ammo.

Kahr CW-380 is the smallest, more accurate of the two, mine has better sights seems softer shooting, mine hates Fiocchi ammo. It will function well with Underwood 90 Grain XTP's. I never had a problem personally, but reading of striker failures I upgraded mine with a after market striker from Lakeline and their guide rod too. I might not have needed either, but I wanted to be sure, and now I am. I have a molded leather pocket holster from RKBA I really like it as it allows the muzzle to nearly touch the bottom of the pocket. I also have Talon grip tape on it. Right now it is my daily driver.

I use a 380 as a back up or I could carry it up front.

I have many other 380's and the only other that I have in possible rotation is a LCP Custom

I don't own a Pico

If you want to add a 380, it looks like you have done your homework, I would point out if you are not aware, that Underwood ammo came out with some new self defense ammo for 32 autos

6. I own an LCP II, love the trigger. I find it very easy to shoot and conceal. It is now the most carried handgun I own.
    Inside the pocket holster that came with it, fits in my back pocket perfectly, sits just like my billfold.
    I also have three other holsters bought for it one looks like a large cell phone case, one is IWB and one fits high on the belt OWB.
    It works well with all of them.

I have found it very reliable, and I have no problem hitting what I want.

I am very happy with it and would buy it again.

I don't know anything about the other two.

Well, almost nothing. I have handled the Pico, I think it is very concealable, but didn't like the trigger. It also didn't fit my hand as well. I am sure it would be reliable, but the little Ruger fit me better.

7. I only own the Pico. I have four other 380's but not the othe two you asked about. The pico is my second favorite 380 I own. I do recommend shooting them first. I personally don't mind the long hard trigger pull. Under stress it will seem like nothing. Also out of the five 380's I own. The pico is also my second most accurate pistol to shoot.

8. So, I went to pick up my Kahr CW380. Three problems at point of sale. I almost could not rack the slide. I mean, I have the PM9 and it's no problem, but even the salesperson had trouble racking it. Second, the slide would not stay racked open. I suggested he switch the magazine with another, and that solved the problem with not staying open. Still seemed a little finicky. Lastly, I wanted the front night sight like my PM9. They didn't have it. So this really left my puzzled. Does it get easier to rack after the first 200 rounds?

I tried to post yesterday...screwy site... Anyway I took my CW-380 out and it was hard to rack, but I did not pay as close attention as I could rack mine. I asked my wife to do it and she could only get it 3/4 done...not the gun for her though this was originally hers, The LCP II is a lot easier to rack. (of my modern 380's the RM-380 is by far the easiest to rack.)

I did get two holsters for my LCP II, a Blue Force Gear for the LCP or LCP II, it fits the LCP best, but it is usable for the LCP II, it was $20 and is made of very thin leather and has a fibrous wing sewn on to keep the holster oriented in the pocket and act to retain the holster as the gun is drawn. I am using it, but not real enthused about it.
    I also got a Moraii, also $20, which is a minimalist Kydex holster that really only protects the trigger it has Kydex extending out in a wing or fin or whatever. It has a rounded hook that barely works, the retention is so strong, that when drawn those two deficits combine the have the holster flip free of the pocket and to the ground. You need to apply some heat to soften and move the Kydex, or put a lanyard on it.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Pandaz3 View Post
    I tried to post yesterday...screwy site... Anyway I took my CW-380 out and it was hard to rack, but I did not pay as close attention as I could rack mine. I asked my wife to do it and she could only get it 3/4 done...not the gun for her though this was originally hers, The LCP II is a lot easier to rack. (of my modern 380's the RM-380 is by far the easiest to rack.)
    They do make those little handles with a spring in the middle to help build up your hand muscles. Besides that it looks like you better just carry it with one in the tube and some sort of pocket holster at the least. Mine gets loaded and stays that way until I shoot or clean it. The last thing you want is fumbling during a robbery situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk