First Handgun, TP9SF or PPX - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which budget handgun would you pick if you could only have one?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canik TP9SF

2 66.67%
  • Walther PPX (9mm)

1 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Handgun, TP9SF or PPX

Quote Originally Posted by Apopkan2582 View Post
    You seem this you tube video?
    FYI: There are tons of people on the Internet that do "unboxing reviews" of firearms. They have close to zero credibility. The reason why I posted James Yeager's video is because he only recommends firearms that have been field tested. I don't mean firing a few hundred rounds through it at a square range in clean operating conditions, but rather a few thousand rounds up to tens of thousands in actual training classes in all kinds of operating conditions, including rain and mud.

To the OP, watch the video below!!!

Also, although you are "no stranger to firearms", that doesn't necessarily mean you know what you should know about carrying a handgun for self defense. Train at a reputable firearms training school in a defensive handgun class to find out what you should do how. Just putting rounds down range without knowing the actual training drills is senseless. It also makes you develop wrong procedures that become training scars (bad habits).

Let me clear up a few things.

1) I am familiar with all of the specifications of both. Don't tell me the specs, tell me why a certain feature or features would win you over.

2) Nobody mention Glock.

3) These firearms are budget, not cheap. For those not aware, the manufacturing facility where the Canik is produced is an ISO 9000 factory. Take that for what you will. The Canik is used by the Turkish police and military and I doubt they would tolerate a poorly made firearm. Canik cloned many Walther features in their TP9 models. If you want to argue that your Glock has a better fit and finish than a Walther you should probably start a new thread elsewhere. I don't dislike Glock, but I am not interested.

4) I included the information regarding the warranties as general information to better inform the forum. I would not consider purchasing either if I thought the firearm would be unreliable.

Thank you all who have replied. It would be helpful if everyone remembered to take that poll at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    FYI: There are tons of people on the Internet that do "unboxing reviews" of firearms. They have close to zero credibility. The reason why I posted James Yeager's video is because he only recommends firearms that have been field tested. I don't mean firing a few hundred rounds through it at a square range in clean operating conditions, but rather a few thousand rounds up to tens of thousands in actual training classes in all kinds of operating conditions, including rain and mud.

To the OP, watch the video below!!!

Also, although you are "no stranger to firearms", that doesn't necessarily mean you know what you should know about carrying a handgun for self defense. Train at a reputable firearms training school in a defensive handgun class to find out what you should do how. Just putting rounds down range without knowing the actual training drills is senseless. It also makes you develop wrong procedures that become training scars (bad habits).

Thanks for the advice. I will add that I came out of college with a criminal justice degree in addition to my engineering degrees. I was fortunate to have hands on firearms training provided by active law enforcement.

5. I say look into the canik tp9sf elite man. I have one and it's the best shooting gun I've ever owned and I have a glock 26 (my edc). You could probably find it for a hundred or so more than the original but if you have to go with either of those 2 I say canik. The trigger in the elite is incredible and I've shot the original canik. They both are good but the trigger on the elite is better and also it comes with warren tactical sights.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

James Yeager | 1,800 Round TORTURE TEST Canik TP9 SFX!!!

As the title says, this is the Canik TP9 SFX:

Another reason for the Canik TP9SF/Elite: Canik TP9SF/Elite by John Farnam

10 Apr 17

Canik TP9SF/Elite

Iíve been carrying my copy of the Canik TP9SF/Elite pistol (imported by Century Arms) for several months. Iíve used it to demonstrate techniques at a number of Courses, and my Instructors and students have shot it extensively, with all kinds of ammunition.

Frankly, there is little not to like. No hiccups. It runs and runs!

I was not sure what to think of it when I first starting using this Glock-like entry into the serious pistol market. However, it has proven itself reliable and well-suited to the task of personal protection.

One concern was the pistolís ambidextrous, long, cantilevered slide-release levers. When operating the one on the left side of the pistol with your thumb (assuming youíre right-handed), there is no problem. We prefer racking the slide, of course, but using the lever may be necessary from time to time.

However, when a right-hander uses his right index finger (trigger finger) to push down the lever on the right side of the pistol, his finger often slides off, enters the trigger-guard, and hits the trigger! On the left side of the pistol, the thumb is too short to cause that problem.

On my copy of the Canik, I thus had my gunsmith simply remove the lever on the pistolís right side. With it gone, that potential problem goes away!
    When the Canik came to me, its sights were excellent, but needed adjusting. The wonderful gunsmiths at Gunsite Training Center performed the necessary drift for me, and sights are now dead-on.

This pistol comes with two magazines and a Serpa holster, all at a price significantly below its competitors.

Based on personal experience, the Canik TP9SF/Elite now enjoys a place on my Recommended List!

/John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12