First Handgun, TP9SF or PPX

View Poll Results: Which budget handgun would you pick if you could only have one?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canik TP9SF

2 66.67%
  • Walther PPX (9mm)

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Handgun, TP9SF or PPX

First Handgun, TP9SF or PPX

Greetings everyone. I'm sure my request will generate some strong opinions but I really do need constructive advice from more experienced individuals. As the title says I am looking for my first handgun. I am no stranger to firearms but have never felt the need to own a handgun until recently. I have narrowed my selection down to two based on my own research. I am really only interested in advice regarding the models presented.

In case the title did not provide enough info the models are:
    -Canik TP9SF ($298.69 online), comes with serpa style holster, paddle and belt mounts, speed loader, a second (larger) back strap, two 18 rd magazines, a cheap cleaning brush and jag/loop.
    -Walther PPX ($299.89 online), comes with two 16 rd magazines.

My criteria are a budget 9mm handgun with decent capacity that I can use for home defense, open carry and concealed carry (I'm a larger individual, not too worried about concealing a handgun of this size). In case it wasn't implied I would also be spending some quality time at a range to familiarize myself, test different ammo, and develop some muscle memory.

I like the kit that comes with the Canik and the general consensus is they are decent firearms. I cannot find a single firearm that rivals its capacity without an extended magazine. However I am concerned about the availability of replacement parts in the long run.

The Walther name is obviously a huge plus. I know I can count on replacement parts being available as well as a large range of aftermarket parts.

Both offer a limited lifetime warranty against material/workmanship defects. I submitted a poll as well to capture a black and white majority opinion on these two firearms if you would be kind enough to make a selection. That is all the information I have to offer, I look forward to hearing form you folks.

I voted for the Canik, I have only held one, but I liked it. The PPX is a good gun and I own two, a 9 and a 40. Both the wife and I prefer the 40, we only have 250 rounds thru the nine, but 600+ thru the forty. It is DAO which throws some people off, the trigger is not great, but not bad, just a DAO trigger. The PPX has been out several more years.
    I believe the Canik is made in Turkey, they make some good guns. Hey the terrorists like them, the guy that killed the Russian Ambassador a while back used one. It is newer here, but has seen service in Turkey for a bit and is thought to be reliable.

Glock 19........
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

If you have never had a handgun then the Glock 17 is probably your best bet.

Both of these two choices (TP9SF and PPX) look like Glock striker fired clones.

The TP looks like it has a trigger safety on it and a better grip.

I am guessing that you are NOT already familiar with classic handguns like the 1911A1 then ?!

I have had the opportunity to handle and fire multiple pistols. This is merely the first I would be purchasing for myself and I don't have a large budget. You mentioned a 1911. Why would I want an even larger, heavier pistol with half the capacity at twice the price (or more)?

You mention the trigger safety on the Canik but don't mention anything about why it would be advantageous over the Walther's 3 internal passive safeties.

Why a glock? It is 66% more expensive and unless you intend to mod the heck out of your firearm there are few true advantages. I grant they have a reputation for reliability but they are hardly the only company that can make a reliable firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by skidude7269 View Post
    I have had the opportunity to handle and fire multiple pistols. This is merely the first I would be purchasing for myself and I don't have a large budget. You mentioned a 1911. Why would I want an even larger, heavier pistol with half the capacity at twice the price (or more)?

You mention the trigger safety on the Canik but don't mention anything about why it would be advantageous over the Walther's 3 internal passive safeties.

Why a glock? It is 66% more expensive and unless you intend to mod the heck out of your firearm there are few true advantages. I grant they have a reputation for reliability but they are hardly the only company that can make a reliable firearm.
    Well I am no expert at your two specific choices, sorry.

I would opt for the one with the most safeties on it. That way you are less likely to shoot yourself (unintentionally).

My first handgun was an S&W Model 59 and back in the day it was the one with the most safeties on it.

Now today it is felt that it had too many safeties on it. However when I was new with guns 40+ years ago the 59 was perfect for me.

So pick the choice that feels best in your hands and also that has the most safeties on it.

Good luck.

I own the Canik TP9SA, and I have shot the Walther. While both are great budget guns, I recommend the Canik. Both point much more naturally, at least for me, than a Glock. I am also able to get a better grip on th firearm.

The biggest differentiator, IMHO, is the single action versus the double action. I much prefer a SA . Also, the trigger on the current generation is absolutely fantastic. It is much better than other pistols costing twice as much (Glock, S&W, etc.)
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

The Canik TP9 SF is good to go as far as reliability and usefulness goes. I haven't heard much positive or negative about the Walther PPX.

The Canik TP9 SF is made in Turkey and imported by Century Arms, while the Walther PPX is made in Germany and imported by Walther Arms. Any repair for each of these guns requires shipping them to the manufacturer as OEM parts are not widely available to customers. In contrast, Glock OEM parts are widely available to customers. Any preventative maintenance can be done by the Glock customer.

If you think that the risk for parts availability for the Canik TP9 SF is different than for the Walther PPX, then you are wrong.

About cheaping out and the the lifetime warranty thing:

11. You seem this you tube video?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast