Buying a H and gun Out of State

Thread: Buying a H and gun Out of State

1. Buying a H and gun Out of State

Hi all. I'm going to be on an extended US road trip, and I'm wondering if there are any states where I can buy a handgun and take possession of it right there. I have an NC CCP and an NC DL. Is it a federal law that any gun purchases in states other than what's on your DL must be shipped to an FFL in the "home" state?
    Thanks for your input!

Sorry I can't edit the title! :)

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Hi all. I'm going to be on an extended US road trip, and I'm wondering if there are any states where I can buy a handgun and take possession of it right there. I have an NC CCP and an NC DL. Is it a federal law that any gun purchases in states other than what's on your DL must be shipped to an FFL in the "home" state?
    Thanks for your input!

Why not check with the guys that enforce the law and put you in jail if you break it? From ATF | May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?:

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (d)(5), (g)(5) and (y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32(a)(5)]
    In other words, NO.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    Thanks for your input!

You left out a very important word in your question. That word being legally. You can purchase a handgun in any state and take possession of it right there, if you find the right person to purchase it from. But you can't do it legally in any state except for your state of residence (which may not be where your driver's license is from, BTW.)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    I'm wondering if there are any states where I can buy a handgun and take possession of it right there.
    No.

Unless you have an FFL and receive the handgun into your FFL inventory, then yes.

You can buy the pistol but it has to be sent back to your Resident State before it can be transferred to you. The ban is under challenge and meeting with success so far, but today the ban is in force so, no, there is no state where you can take posession of a handgun other than the state you live in.