45 ACP Barrel length
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Barrel length

45 ACP Barrel length

I have several 45's and just recently realized all are 3.3" or longer. My XDS 45 and 9 are both 3.3" and I believe the 45 was the driving force, for some reason the Engineers decided that 3.3 was the minimum for a 45 and just made a 9 barrel and slide to fit the same frame. (Or so it seems to me). My XD40 Mod 2 is 3.0", but the XD45 Mod 2 is 3.3". A 9MM Shield is 3.1", but the 45 Shield is 3.3". Some 'Officer's model' 1911's are 3.0 inches and have cycling issues with some ammo, mine is 3.5" and eats everything so far.

I do not know and am asking if anyone does know. Is there a optimum minimum length barrel for 45's. If yes why? Does it need the extra length to cycle properly? If 45's have a optimum minimum length, what about 380's, 9's, 40's, 10's. Is it a mathematical rule of thumb, like X times the Diameter of the round, or X times the overall length of the round.

I don't have to know, just curious.

Look up www.ballisticsbytheinch.com to get some insight on how barrel length affects bullet velocities for different calibers.

As for your other questions, there is no mathematical rule of thumb. There is the market that drives firearms design and production costs and then there are general engineering concerns. Short-barreled compact 1911s tend to be jammomatics, but that comes from trying to shrink the 1911 design.

My COLT DEFENDER has a 3 inch barrel and performs flawlessly with all ammo.

~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

5. I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry, and it runs fine. I'm amazed that people still think the carry line of 1911, the ones that are called "carry" pistols, that people trust their lives to, are a flawed product made by every major manufacture of 1911's for decades? Please give a link to why these pistols are flawed, so I can read it to my Kimber and it can start jamming that way?

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    I have a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry, and it runs fine. I'm amazed that people still think the carry line of 1911, the ones that are called "carry" pistols, that people trust their lives to, are a flawed product made by every major manufacture of 1911's for decades? Please give a link to why these pistols are flawed, so I can read it to my Kimber and it can start jamming that way?

I have personally witnessed the same issues with students and their subcompact 1911s in training classes that Rob Pincus has witnessed in the above video. Read the comments by Rob Pincus in the YouTube video about his challenge for someone to show up at his training class and to complete it with zero malfunctions and without forgetting to flip the safety off. You are free to take Rob Pincus up on his challenge with your Kimber and then parade your win around the Internet. So far, no-one has done that. His Combat Focus Shooting class is highly recommended. If you are going to attend the NRA Annual Meeting in Atlanta on April 27-30, 2017, you can talk personally with Rob Pincus about this subject.

7. I know some people love to talk down about types of pistols, the fanboy internet arguing thing. But I'm looking for facts, published by reputable sources. You can go on YouTube and find videos about every pistol breaking, it's not facts.

I know some people love to talk down about types of pistols, the fanboy internet arguing thing. But I'm looking for facts, published by reputable sources. You can go on YouTube and find videos about every pistol breaking, it's not facts.
    So, according to you, Internet 1911 fanboy, Rob Pinus is not a reputable source and that no-one has ever completed his Combat Focus Shooting class with a subcompact 1911 without a stoppage is not a fact. Ignorance is bliss. I presented you with a fact from a reputable source. You just chose to ignore it, because it doesn't confirm your opinion.

9. In the video you just posted at 0:33 "unless they are properly set-up, maintained, and with correct ammo, they can be problematic". So you proved my point that they can be reliable if properly set-up, maintained, and have the correct ammo. thanks

10. And further more name calling is a personal attack and considered low class "So, according to you, Internet 1911 fanboy"

And further more name calling is a personal attack and considered low class "So, according to you, Internet 1911 fanboy"
    LOL, you started the "fanboy" name calling, if here is even such a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast