New Member Welcome Thread 2 - Page 142
Page 142 of 647 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242642 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 6467

Thread: New Member Welcome Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by azapata1 View Post
    Keltec pf9... conceals great.... theres a lot of carry options with it and you can conceal in business attire or in t-shirt and shorts.... I bought mine for $300 came with two magazines...
    THX azapata11

3. Quote Originally Posted by larrys0227 View Post
    Hi all. I'm looking for advice on what to consider as a 1st CCW pistol. I have a very limited budget, which unfortunately has to be my first consideration. I also need to find a training facility/instructor in the Indianapolis metro area. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. THX!

P.S. I forgot to say I'm new to USACarry too.
    Larry, I am a new CCW carry person too, so I have just recently gone through what you are facing now.
    I did a lot of research on this too and here is what I found out. Most new shooters should carry a small, concealable REVOLVER that is easy to handle and understand. Then practice with it to get the feel of it. Get a good holster that fits the gun well and rides well on your person.

The reason for the revolver is that it's simple. You pull the trigger and it goes BANG! If one bullet fails to fire, you don't panic. You just pull the trigger again and the gun goes bang! In a stressful situation, you don't need to have a malfunction with a semi-auto pistol, and you're standing there not really knowing what caused it, or how to fix it, when a bad guy is coming at you.

Semi-automatic pistols are fine for later,when you have gotten to know them and are proficient with them. They are NOT good guns for the beginner. In fact, I know a lot of seasoned shooters that carry a revolver as their go-to gun for personal defense, for the same reasons I stated..it always works! And one of those people is my boss, a gun shop owner and Former Green Beret, and now a Reserve deputy sheriff and SWAT TEAM member. In other words, he KNOWS guns. LOL!

I would recommend a small 38 special revolver. Choices are Taurus, Ruger,.... Smith & Wesson if you can afford it. Next gun when budget allows is the one azapata suggested...the Kel_TEC PF9, a 9MM pistol.

Good conceal gun at a good price

I would suggest that you look at the High Point Brand. They are made in Mansfiels Ohio. Thay come in at least 2 barrel legnths and 3 different caliber bores. They are priced under 200 bucks. The gun was reccommended to me by a NRA Training Counselor.

Don

5. @Larrys: refer to budget. Many gun shows and dealers now have budget pistols. I have noticed the only slight negatives on them, seems to be weight and finish. If budget is the primary consideration, a few ounces of weight and/or appearance, is not that important. Upgrade over time, is always something positive for the future. Enjoy the Hunt. Like in life, It's at least half of the fun. :>)

"The Man with a Sword is a Free Man, the Man without... is a Slave" (Anglo Saxon quote, after Romans driven out of Britain)

New to this forum, veteran of several others. Came across this one through KSCCW.com

I am new to the forum. I am from South Carolina. I have a CWP. I have several rifles and pistols and a few shot guns too. I am here trying to learn something.

8. Hello from western NY

I'm new to this forum, but have been involved with guns my whole life. Seems like a nice group of folks and I look forward to getting more involved. From the other NY state - Western end where guns are looked at a little more favorably.
    The picture below is my main CCW:

Just got here!

Saying hi from Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by larrys0227 View Post
    Hi all. I'm looking for advice on what to consider as a 1st CCW pistol. I have a very limited budget, which unfortunately has to be my first consideration. I also need to find a training facility/instructor in the Indianapolis metro area. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. THX!

P.S. I forgot to say I'm new to USACarry too.
    Depends on a lot of things--just be sure you LIKE your choice. Reliability of a revolver is worth considering, but I prefer a pistol. I've carried a .38 Special (Taurus 851 Ultralite), a large-framed 1911-style 9mm (FIE TZ75), and a compact 9mm (Taurus PT709 Slim). The 851 is a good revolver choice because it has a shrouded hammer, allowing both SA and DA operation, which won't get hung up on clothing (allowing unobstructed draws from concealment or reliable firing from a pocket), but if I was going to buy another revolver I would get a similar one in a .357 Magnum caliber.

The revolver's cylinder is a bit lumpy for my taste, and short on capacity, so I like the pistols. I've been shooting the TZ for about 26 years, so the auto mechanism is not a hindrance to me. I set out to find the smallest decent 9mm, and am really pleased with the Slim. It's hammerless, so you can carry it with a round chambered and the safety on. The safety is easy to disengage, then you just pull the trigger like a revolver, except the trigger pull is much shorter and a little lighter. And it conceals well.

I made a decision not to carry a caliber with less firepower (muzzle energy) than a 9mm--and thus the can of worms springs open! In terms of typical muzzle energy in mainstream handguns, the .44 Magnum is king of the hill, followed by .357 Magnum, 10mm, .40, 9mm, .45, .38, .380, .32, and .22 (I may have left some out). My personal decision was to draw the line at 400 ft-lbs of muzzle energy using JHP ammo. I have since discovered MagSafe's personal defense ammo that packs 525 ft-lbs with 12" of penetration in tissue. You don't mess around with Slim.

SA, DAO, or both

Wow, ask a question here and get lots of info. That's great, thanks guys. I was raised with guns at home and did rabbit and squirrel hunting up till about 16. So I've been away from guns for 54 years. I notice when researching CCW there are options for sa, dao or sa/da in pistol choices. I don't know why one would want a sa/da over dao for CCW. Obviously you don't want to have to cock the hammer everytime you need to shoot for protection. So sa only doesn't seem to be a practical choice. So why would somebody want an sa/da for personal protection. I'm probably showing my gun ignorance here, but this seems like the place to learn.
    Larry