New Member Welcome Thread 2 - Page 408
Page 408 of 648 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418458508 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 6477

Thread: New Member Welcome Thread 2

1. New to all of this. I've just recently looked into getting a handgun for both myself and my wife and your "giveaway" is what brought me to your site. I will spend some quality time here and probably refer it to both my stepson & son-in-law as they both have handguns. Thanks for being here!

Gov5,

You need a new profession. I agree with others. An instructor's job is to teach. If someone is an obvious whacko and your conscience says you can't teach him fine -don't! But you are not a judge. That's not your job. That's why we have "shall issue" laws. It is not you're prerogative to make a getting a CWL "may issue" based on you personal judgement skills. Teach the class, sign the forms, and be done with it. If they are that psycho, you need to be notifying the police of the crazy people making threats,not refusing licenses based on your personal feelings. Go to school and get your license to be a shrink before you judge your fellow man. Then, after you diagnose you patient as a nut, he will lose his right to buy a gun based on your valid diagnoses by a medical professional and not the opinion of a self-righteous gun bigot.

4. I think you may have intended your reply to go to someone else rather than me. You are saying exactly what I was saying. You and I are in total agreement, based upon your comments.
    Why do you say you agree with others?

5. Hey i'm new here names Aaron, Live in WV and and still learning about all the laws and such
    looking forward to learning =D

Hi, I'm Jerry from the Wilmington area of NC. I have been a cop for almost 30 years now and a gun owner since I received a nickle plated 1911A1 on my 9th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    "As an instructor, I am the first line of defense, as it were. Nobody is gonna pull the wool over my eyes. I spend about an hour questioning potential applicants, posing the same series of questions over and over again, albeit in different ways. If you're evil or bizarre, and have questionable motives, then adios! I don't want potential putzes packing. I go over the application form and process with my students in detail. If they answer yes to any of the no-nos, that's the end of my involvement. I cannot in good faith agree to arming someone who has the wrong mindset. No money charged (I teach pro bono), just my time. And that is small enough value in stopping rogues. "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

So who evaluates YOU?

Now the folks of Boston not only have to fight the U.S. Govt for their already enumerated 2nd AMEND RIGHTS, THEY HAVE TO FIGHT LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT, and now YOU!
    Please stop doing that. You are putting yourself in a self-proclaimed lofty position of power to which you are not entitled. By doing so, you are part of the problem, not the solution. We have enough hoops to jump through without having to jump through another, put up by some self-crusading bureaucrat. The State gave you permission to train these applicants, not pick which ones YOU thought should get a permit or not. Who said YOU have the training to be able to pick and choose? What Govt approved training have YOU had, that is specific to the task, that enables you to do the picking?

Don't you see that by doing this self-selection process, YOU are part of the problem we are ALL having with this 2nd Amendment fight? Don't you see that YOU are adding ONE MORE hoop for us to jump through? And don't you see that, in doing so, YOU are WAY OUT of your purview? Nobody gave you that authority!

Listen, I know you are doing what you think is right and proper. And you might even be doing it to CYA, in case a wacko comes through your one of your classes. BUT, that ISN'T your job to do! We are ALREADY fighting enough "well intentioned" people in the process. We don't need another. You see, FOLKS like YOU are why we have this darn process now, instead of just being able to walk to the local firearms dealer, but a firearm and holster, and put it on and wear it everyday....all courtesy of the 2nd Amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boy View Post
    [
    So who evaluates YOU?

GOV5,

I evaluate myself! My adult life has been spent evaluating people, mostly to protect myself. I am not concerned with an attitude of CYA, but the safety of the public and in the good furtherance of CC. There's more than enough evil people out there without arming them; as I hope folks would agree. If you believe I err in thinking, so be it. I'd rather you think me wrong (though at 65 years of age, my experience proves me correct), than cause needless grief. Remember, I don't charge folks, and they can always pay someone who has a more liberal attitude. Don't want to argue this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by cigartom View Post
    i agree with gov5. we have too many unstable people with weapons already. there must be some way of weaning out that bully, quick tempered individual who just want to shoots someone. we have enough gangs already and dont's need to add a gang with a cwp. he have the right to refuse to train anyone. common sense must apply with any use of deadly force. this is not the old western days, we should be more educated and think before we act. God help us, some of us just want to be known for carrying. we have too many confused goups already without adding one more fool to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Thanks for the backup! I knew when I posted that reply I was going to get a lot of flak, but I didn't care. It isn't the first time I've posted controversial statements here, and got flamed for doing so. LOL!

But here's the main message I was trying to convey. We, as a group, are the first ones to stand up and cry out about excessive over-regulation, laws put on books that are only there to suppress gun rights, all the different laws in each State, etc. What the people that disagree with me are forgetting is that those people that passed all those anti-firearm laws THOUGHT THEY had the most honorable of intentions too!
    Yet we STILL despise their actions. Well, if one of US starts adding hoops to jump through, or actually starts deciding, by their own executive order, which persons THEY think has the right to get a PERMIT to bear arms, WE(or more specifically THAT person) is being a hypocritical. They are now part of the problem they have been complaining about!

I don't see why that is so hard to understand. Again, thank YOU for understanding what I was saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by taurus382 View Post
    Gov5,

You need a new profession. I agree with others. An instructor's job is to teach. If someone is an obvious whacko and your conscience says you can't teach him fine -don't! But you are not a judge. That's not your job. That's why we have "shall issue" laws. It is not you're prerogative to make a getting a CWL "may issue" based on you personal judgement skills. Teach the class, sign the forms, and be done with it. If they are that psycho, you need to be notifying the police of the crazy people making threats,not refusing licenses based on your personal feelings. Go to school and get your license to be a shrink before you judge your fellow man. Then, after you diagnose you patient as a nut, he will lose his right to buy a gun based on your valid diagnoses by a medical professional and not the opinion of a self-righteous gun bigot.
    This is a welcome thread. I think your comments and points of view are very interesting and I think many would like to find those comments in its own thread or separate post where the lively discourse can be easily seen or searched for and not hidden in a welcome area.

Welcome to all the newbie’s and everyone else.

welcome group, new to concealed carry but old hand with a firearm. usual little gun is a sig p238, when I have my big boy pants on I carry my FN 45. My handle states my case, it is a shame that the State of Maryland is really a state of confusion run by liberals throwing away my hard earned money and taking away my civil liberties. I am stuck here because I have built a profitable business of 30 plus years and can't leave. I have a second house in Delaware and with my Utah and Arizona permits can legally carry in the surrounding states. I stumbled upon this website from another and have found it full of facts and advice. thanks group.

Just bought my first handgun Friday, a 66-2, 4" and thought I'd join :)
    I bought it mainly for home defense and plan to take a basic hand-gun class put on by a police officer/firearms instructor who teaches such classes on the weekends- Jamie B. in central Iowa. Class should be in about 2 weeks.
    I also bought the 200 rds of ammo the class requires, having to rely on the gun shop owner to select it for me, he chose this and from what I've read so far it's a good choice;

PMC 38 Special 132 gr FMJ Bronze 50/box

PS, the nickname starts with a stylized "W" (Wolf)

Newer member

Hi, I decided to migrate from another forum after a couple of "issues."

I bought my first gun last Friday, a S&W 66-2, 4" along with 4 boxes of ammo. I'm signed up for a basic handgun class with Jamie Buenting to start soon, so I'm looking forward to trying out my first gun.
    I bought the gun from a local gunshop for $539, and I see that is a middle-of-the-road price so I think I did well on the purchase.

Welcome, AloneinMD. Glad you could join us.