New Member Welcome Thread 2 - Page 512
Page 512 of 650 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522562612 ... LastLast
Results 5,111 to 5,120 of 6493

Thread: New Member Welcome Thread 2

1. Best reference for travelers

Quote Originally Posted by ChristiAnne Elkins View Post
    Hi everyone! Complete novice here...I mean...never held a loaded firearm novice. But want to get permit and eventually - when I happen upon the right one - the right gun. I am a novice and I am trying to navigate the various laws; rules; regulations and everything that is involved. Especially with reciprocity and the differences with non-resident and resident permits. I travel a lot - and being a disabled female would tend to make me an easy target. I want to make sure that the states I travel to and through, that I am doing it right.
    The annual edition of the Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States is what I go by. From Florida, with my resident CCW, I can go through 37 states carrying concealed, and in Nevada I can open carry. If you have to go through NY to get to the rest of the country, you may as well move or resign yourself to staying home, unless you are willing to put up with the TSA.

Blog Entries
    Good Evening all. My wife and I are relatively new to shooting sports. I got into it after my doctor told me it might help regain fine motor control after hand surgery. Is there any truth to all the talk about ammo shortages? I hear rumors of the fed buying billions of rounds for gun cals they don't use. I know I have to pay more for 9mm and 22LR than I did 3 years ago but why? I've got a lot to learn and a desire to learn it.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Thanks for letting me learn from you folks!

As you are aware we each can learn a great deal if we listen and think about what we have heard. I intend to gather as much knowledge from you guys as my rusty brain will allow. I promise you that I will only answer questions asked of me, and I will not give out unsolicited advice. The only exception will be if I know something beyond a shadow of a doubt, and can find a kind way to interject it into the discussion. I am 66 years old, left my beloved Marine Corps as a Master Gunnery Sergent, and persude two Ph.D.'s, one in English and the other in American History. I am not bragging about the Ph.D.'s, because anyone with the time and desire can get one. Also they will not buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's. Besides Uncle Sam paid for them. I have been shooting since my dad gave me a Springfield semi-auto 22 rifle for my tenth birthday. He saw to it that I learned all the basics of safety and marksmanship, which have served me well all my life. I have bored you folk too long, but I am looking forward to learning from you all. Sincerely, Dr. Gene Long. (GunnyGene)

Quote Originally Posted by nalberson View Post
    Good Evening all. My wife and I are relatively new to shooting sports. I got into it after my doctor told me it might help regain fine motor control after hand surgery. Is there any truth to all the talk about ammo shortages? I hear rumors of the fed buying billions of rounds for gun cals they don't use. I know I have to pay more for 9mm and 22LR than I did 3 years ago but why? I've got a lot to learn and a desire to learn it.
    Is there truth to the ammo shortages... in a word, yes. The rumors you have heard are the nearly 2 billion rounds that was requested by DHS and another 3.5 million rounds by TSA recently. These requests are for new production and over a long time frame, so technically they aren't taking the ammo out of circulation. However, there are only a few big ammo companies. Add this to the panic-buying by the firearm community then we started to get shortages and prices went up. We're starting to see them stabilize a bit now, but they still aren't to the prices they were 3 years ago.

Welcome to the forums.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

6. Note to all who travel with guns--The 2013 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States is on Sale at Buckeye Firearms.org Marked down to $8.
    Are you violating gun laws when you travel? | Buckeye Firearms Association
    I've found that picking up a copy every 2 years is usually all I need.

7. Hello Skeetfreak--what part of FL are you from and what do you shoot? I live in the Jacksonville area, am FrontSight trained and have been teaching what I learned to my friends. If you're anywhere nearby I'd love to meet you at a range.

8. Some calibers are getting more available, but prices have gone up a bit. In my area Academy Outdoor has held the line pretty well on prices, but you have to get there before they open on a morning after the truck comes in, and they limit how much they'll sell per person. Occasionally I can find some at one of the local Walmarts--they're a little cheaper than Academy and their limit is a little higher. Academy usually has 9mm on their ammo days, and most of the time they have 22's. If you can make contact with one or more of the big sporting goods stores and find out their delivery schedule, you can (slowly) pick up all you need.
    About fine motor control--get a LOT of dry practice to build up muscle memory. And dry practice doesn't use any ammo ;-)

9. Hello from newbie in Missouri!!

Live in the Central Florida area. I have a Ruger LCP .380 for CCW.

As crankyyankee said dry firing can help you also. One thing that might make it more fun I was taught in the service. I lucked out and was able to join the pistol team for the Army. One thing our instructor had us do before we could fire a live round was this. If you have a 45's, it might work with other cal. also, but we had 45's. You take a regular pencil and wrap electric tape around the eraser end until it will slide down the barrel nice and easy. Making sure that the gun is not loaded of course. Then after you have it down the barrel mark on the pencil where the end of the pencil is at the end of the barrel. Take the pencil out and wrap about the same amount of tape about 1/4" back from the mark, so that the pencil now will rest in about the center of the barrel. Mark sure that it is snug, but can still slide easily. Now take a piece of paper and tape it to the wall. Make a mark on the paper that you can aim at. Stand so that your pencil tip is about 1' from the paper on the wall and aim at your mark. Pull the hammer back, having made very very sure that the gun does not have any ammo in it, other than the pencil. Aim at your mark and shoot, do this 3 times. When you get all 3 dots to touch each other you are ready to use ammo. It is not easy, but it can be kind of of fun. Maybe you have a friend that says he is a great shot, have him try this. No need to go out to the range, he can prove it right here. The other thing that we did was take a empty bleach bottle and and put a pin in the cap. The kind of pin with a large round head. Now put enough water in it to make it kind of heavy. maybe start with half full or less. While you are sitting watching TV, during the commercials aim at things on the screen, holding your arm out like you would if you were shooting. This might now help with the fine motor skills, but it makes your arm not get as tired as fast when you are shooting. Sometimes the ladies like doing this instead of going to the range to learn to shoot. Ladies wait a minute. I am only saying this because this is how my wife like to learn. She did not want to mess up in front of others, it also made it nice to teach gun safety to her. Then when we did go to the range she was comfortable and could hit what she was aiming at. I hope this helps.