Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 10
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    tell your law professor to update his info, June 27, 2008 Castle Rock v. Gonzales the supreme court's decision states that you as an individual have no right for protection of the police, and that you can not sue a municipality for not providing you protection. in this case the victim and her 3 children where murdered by her estranged husband after the local court signed a writ of protection for the victim. The decision of the supreme court stated that QUOTE: "calling the police is not enough. You must also be ready to defend yourself and your property"

I read this as what ever it takes to protect yourself
    Hmm, so, basically, arm yourselves and take your protection and protection of those close to you into your own hands; sounds like that's what it amounts to
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    Thank you for you input! Very much appreciated
    So I am able to carry in PA at the age of 18? Can you explain what an ND or NH means?
    ND and NH are the standardized USPS abbreviations for North Dakota and New Hampshire. PA honors both of those States. There is no statutory requirement in PA that a recognized or reciprocal CCW holder be a resident of the issuing jurisdiction. PA recognition and reciprocity is not restricted by age. This is extended to residents of PA as there's nothing in the PA code that prohibits residents from carrying on a reciprocal or recognized CCW. See the PA Attorney General Reciprocity page for details.
    Can you further explain the civil issues, particularly about a "castle doctrine"?
    Simple. In many States if you shoot someone you can be sued for wrongful death or personal injury regardless of the shooting was justifiable or not.

The castle doctrine is a set of laws based on English common law that your home is your castle. In castle doctrine States you're immune from criminal and civil liability if the act of self defense is justifiable within your domicile. Some States have extended this principle to what is called stand your ground laws where you are justifiable and have civil suit immunity for any and all acts of self defense and you have no duty to retreat in any instance. The prosecution has the burden of proof that the homicide is not justifiable.
    Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a huge concern, and I have considered many times what my feelings would be if the situation arose where I had to defend myself. But I think, just my general feeling about it, is that I will be able to sort through that 'even though I may have injured someone, it obviously only happened because I was preventing someone from injuring me'. And I think living in fear, unable to defend myself or protect myself would also have extreme repercusions.
    Then you are of the mindset to carry. Be aware that no one wins in any confrontation involving lethal force, you only survive those confrontations. That is the zen of lawful self defense, you hope you never have to use whatever tools you have to defend yourself. You prepare for an incident that you hope will never happen.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    ND and NH are the standardized USPS abbreviations for North Dakota and New Hampshire. PA honors both of those States. There is no statutory requirement in PA that a recognized or reciprocal CCW holder be a resident of the issuing jurisdiction. PA recognition and reciprocity is not restricted by age. This is extended to residents of PA as there's nothing in the PA code that prohibits residents from carrying on a reciprocal or recognized CCW. See the PA Attorney General Reciprocity page for details.

Simple. In many States if you shoot someone you can be sued for wrongful death or personal injury regardless of the shooting was justifiable or not.

The castle doctrine is a set of laws based on English common law that your home is your castle. In castle doctrine States you're immune from criminal and civil liability if the act of self defense is justifiable within your domicile. Some States have extended this principle to what is called stand your ground laws where you are justifiable and have civil suit immunity for any and all acts of self defense and you have no duty to retreat in any instance. The prosecution has the burden of proof that the homicide is not justifiable.
    Then you are of the mindset to carry. Be aware that no one wins in any confrontation involving lethal force, you only survive those confrontations. That is the zen of lawful self defense, you hope you never have to use whatever tools you have to defend yourself. You prepare for an incident that you hope will never happen.
    There are no restrictions on age at all? I had previously heard that in order to obtain a permit for CCW you need to be at least 21. I heard incorrectly obviously! Would you apply for a CCW permit through the same process? I thought I had a fairly good understanding.. clearly not!

I don't understand how someone can be sued if its proven that the shooting took place due to self defense, doesn't seem reasonable to me..is it a civil law issue, even if it's proven that the shooting took place for self defense and you are not prosecuted by the state?

mm, I understand the castle doctrine laws, that's a start

Mm hmm, and I like to be prepared, I personally just dislike being in situations where I know I'm defenseless should something go wrong..and the should is the key point because I know that there are a lot of times when nothing goes wrong, but I also like to be aware of the times that things do go wrong. The situations where nothing went wrong but easily could have always make me consider my options for self defense. For example, (and please tell me if I wasn't justified in being concerned in this situation) I was home alone one weekend, and the rule in my household is that if I am home alone, don't answer the door if you don't know who it is. "If it's FedEx they'll leave the package," is the theory in my house, at least according to my Dad. Someone rings the doorbell, I'm downstairs, and I see a white unmarked van parked in the driveway so I head upstairs because it looks like a construction vehicle but there are no signs for a logo. Once I'm upstairs I see a guy walking around, no uniform, going from door to door, walks around the back, and rings the doorbell repeatedly. But's it's all fine. 15 minutes later he's still parked in the driveway and keeps coming back to check the doors. I call my dad, the man outside ends up leaving, it all turns out well But when I'm standing upstairs I'm going through the best option should the guy decide to come inside. Granted, I know it's not likely, and maybe I watch Cops shows and CSI too often but I can't help but wonder, at least the slightest bit, about what my best option of defense would be SHOULD something ever go wrong. That being said, that's why the option of CCW interests me, I like knowing that should something ever go wrong, that I will feel at least somewhat confident in being able to defend myself.
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

wolfhunter Guest
    Gabby, PA allows an 18 year old with a permit from NH to carry in PA. FL says you'll have to wait 'til you're 21 regardless of what the issuing state says.
    As for the civil suit issue, OJ was found "Not guilty"of murder, but lost the civil suit.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Gabby, PA allows an 18 year old with a permit from NH to carry in PA. FL says you'll have to wait 'til you're 21 regardless of what the issuing state says.
    As for the civil suit issue, OJ was found "Not guilty"of murder, but lost the civil suit.
    Mm hmm, I understand, but I live in PA so I'm confused about the law for obtaining a permit in PA, still 18?

I see, I thought that's what he meant, thank you

wolfhunter Guest
    Gabby, apply for and get a NH permit, and you can carry in PA at age 18, since PA will recognize your NH permit.

Gabby, apply for and get a NH permit, and you can carry in PA at age 18, since PA will recognize your NH permit.
    I apologize, I don't understand these things, takes me some time So, I can apply for a permit in a different state than I reside in? Interesting...I thought it had to be within the state regarding drivers licenese, etc.

wolfhunter Guest
    Many states issue permits to non-residents. If you get non-resident permits from FL and UT, you could carry in most states when you're 21.

Many states issue permits to non-residents. If you get non-resident permits from FL and UT, you could carry in most states when you're 21.
    Ok I didn't realize it was possible to apply for a permit out of state

Gabby you can be sued for just about everything. People file frivolous law suits all the time. Whether they win them is another story. As stated castle doctrine laws give you some measure or protection from a suite.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast