Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 148

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ohio
    Posts
    766
    Blog Entries
    10
    Gabby
    I received my CC Licence in Ohio, and applied for a Non Residence Pa. licence, between the two it allows me to carry in most States.
    Debray

  2.   
  3. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    Gabby
    I received my CC Licence in Ohio, and applied for a Non Residence Pa. licence, between the two it allows me to carry in most States.
    Debray
    Ok, thank you
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    The situation wasn't so much that the individual prevented me from leaving...it was more the fact that I was under 16 and couldn't drive and therefore didn't have a car with me so I didn't really have the option of leaving the situation. But they didn't physically prevent me from leaving..
    K, I C. But, now at least you know not to let yourself get into that type of situation where you may be dependent on someone else for transportation. We can remember, if nothing else, that we always have on our walking shoes.

    Walk this way.

  5. #104

    deadly force

    My first time to post. Certainly a lot of confusion (and angst) concerning when to pull the trigger. I'm 6 ft 2 in, 260 lbs, hold a serious black belt and so I figure I better be damn sure about the situation if I ever do draw a weapon and use it. Hell, I worry about the trouble I would get into just by punching someone (blackbelt and all). So, what to do? First, I think females have an advantage, here, as the "weaker" sex (not being sexist, here, just realistic). Second, I have carried virtuallly all my life (I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a major east coast city) and have never even thought of pulling a weapon. I've always been alert to the situation and removed myself if I could, before things became dire. Martial arts training stresses this: be alert, defuse the situation, leave. I think it's encumbent on all of us who carry to have the same mentality. However..I see someone sneaking around my house in the middle of the nite, I'm scared, I'm assuming they are there to do physical harm, all bets are off.

    So (need to stop rambling, here), here's my bottom line. This isn't my original thought, but here's what I would do: you shoot someone, you wait for the cops, say "I was in fear for my life" and "I want my lawyer" and then clam up. I truly believe it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

    My two cents.

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    K, I C. But, now at least you know not to let yourself get into that type of situation where you may be dependent on someone else for transportation. We can remember, if nothing else, that we always have on our walking shoes.

    Walk this way.
    Mm hmm, this is very true, I have a better understanding of how to plan accordingly in case something should happen

    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  7. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    My first time to post. Certainly a lot of confusion (and angst) concerning when to pull the trigger. I'm 6 ft 2 in, 260 lbs, hold a serious black belt and so I figure I better be damn sure about the situation if I ever do draw a weapon and use it. Hell, I worry about the trouble I would get into just by punching someone (blackbelt and all). So, what to do? First, I think females have an advantage, here, as the "weaker" sex (not being sexist, here, just realistic). Second, I have carried virtuallly all my life (I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a major east coast city) and have never even thought of pulling a weapon. I've always been alert to the situation and removed myself if I could, before things became dire. Martial arts training stresses this: be alert, defuse the situation, leave. I think it's encumbent on all of us who carry to have the same mentality. However..I see someone sneaking around my house in the middle of the nite, I'm scared, I'm assuming they are there to do physical harm, all bets are off.

    So (need to stop rambling, here), here's my bottom line. This isn't my original thought, but here's what I would do: you shoot someone, you wait for the cops, say "I was in fear for my life" and "I want my lawyer" and then clam up. I truly believe it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

    My two cents.
    We are not a weaker sex, physically I feel at a disadvantage, but we're certainly not weaker...

    Agreed, the best case scenario is to never have to pull a weapon in the first place. Mm hmm, I agree, but my first thought is that it would seem suspicious to right away refuse to comment any further about what happened. I understand that legally whatever I say could (and would) be held against me in court, but it seems to me that the cops would be very sceptical. Maybe not, I could be wrong I think though, if some guy is in my house in the middle of the night, and I shot him, I would think that they will make the assumption that I was merely protecting myself, being a female and therefore the weaker sex
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  8. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    And welcome JJFlash!
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  9. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    My first time to post.

    First, I think females have an advantage, here, as the "weaker" sex (not being sexist, here, just realistic).

    My two cents.
    Welcome JJ.

    How so for females being the "weaker sex"? I disagree, but I'm not looking for an argument, just clarification for why you said that.

    Play cards? I'll see your two cents and raise ya two more.

  10. #109
    wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    We are not a weaker sex, physically I feel at a disadvantage, but we're certainly not weaker...

    Agreed, the best case scenario is to never have to pull a weapon in the first place. Mm hmm, I agree, but my first thought is that it would seem suspicious to right away refuse to comment any further about what happened. I understand that legally whatever I say could (and would) be held against me in court, but it seems to me that the cops would be very sceptical. Maybe not, I could be wrong I think though, if some guy is in my house in the middle of the night, and I shot him, I would think that they will make the assumption that I was merely protecting myself, being a female and therefore the weaker sex
    Gabby, after a crisis incident (car wreck, dog attack, BG in your house at night, etc.) it doesn't matter whether you used a gun or could seem suspicious. Adrenaline and all those other hormones kick in, and typically aren't out of a person's system when the police start asking all the questions. If you choose to answer then, you're liable to babble half coherently and talk yourself into trouble. If you tell the responding officer, "He attacked me, I was in fear for my life, but I'd rather wait for my lawyer before answering any questions," you get a chance to calm down before making a full statement. Another delaying tactic is to ask the EMT/Paramedic to examine you first.

  11. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Gabby, after a crisis incident (car wreck, dog attack, BG in your house at night, etc.) it doesn't matter whether you used a gun or could seem suspicious. Adrenaline and all those other hormones kick in, and typically aren't out of a person's system when the police start asking all the questions. If you choose to answer then, you're liable to babble half coherently and talk yourself into trouble. If you tell the responding officer, "He attacked me, I was in fear for my life, but I'd rather wait for my lawyer before answering any questions," you get a chance to calm down before making a full statement. Another delaying tactic is to ask the EMT/Paramedic to examine you first.
    Mm, very good point, something I hadn't considered yet I have another question For example, if I am in a dark parking lot late at night by myself (first off, stay in well lit parking areas, I know ) and a guy approachs me from behind, obviously has sexual intentions, I manage to get away and he attempts to approach me again so I draw my gun, doesn't stop, I shoot. That was an example, but in general, do I need to have physical evidence that I was in danger in order to prove that I pulled a weapon for self-defense reasons? If I'm in a parking lot and no one else was there, the chances of me being able to prove that I acted in self-defense if I obtained no injuires from him are slim to none correct?
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast