Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 12
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    Mm, very good point, something I hadn't considered yet I have another question For example, if I am in a dark parking lot late at night by myself (first off, stay in well lit parking areas, I know ) and a guy approachs me from behind, obviously has sexual intentions, I manage to get away and he attempts to approach me again so I draw my gun, doesn't stop, I shoot. That was an example, but in general, do I need to have physical evidence that I was in danger in order to prove that I pulled a weapon for self-defense reasons? If I'm in a parking lot and no one else was there, the chances of me being able to prove that I acted in self-defense if I obtained no injuires from him are slim to none correct?
    If you draw a gun, you will have to convince at least one person that you were in fear. If you don't think a reasonable police officer will believe you were in fear, you should try an intermediate level of force.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    If you draw a gun, you will have to convince at least one person that you were in fear. If you don't think a reasonable police officer will believe you were in fear, you should try an intermediate level of force.
    I think they would definitely agree that I was in reasonable fear, I would need to be absolutely certain that I was in reasonable fear before acting. I was curious if it required physical evidence to prove that the act was in self-defense
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

wolfhunter Guest
    As Netentity said, check your laws. Here in FL, it's what a reasonable person would feel or believe.

As Netentity said, check your laws. Here in FL, it's what a reasonable person would feel or believe.
    Ok, I will look into that Netentity mentioned that the laws for PA may be more difficult to find..
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

wolfhunter Guest
    Good luck

Good luck
    Thank you!

8. Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    If I'm in a parking lot and no one else was there, the chances of me being able to prove that I acted in self-defense if I obtained no injuires from him are slim to none correct?
    Just make sure that you're not so nervous about being attacked that you shoot someone for asking directions. A BG usually looks like a BG, usually has a criminal record and will usually approach in a threatening manner. If you shoot a guy in a business suit who's never had a parking ticket in the parking lot who was walking to his car and approached you to ask directions, you may have a harder time convincing someone your life was in danger.

Yikes...didn't mean to ruffle feathers with "weaker" sex comment. Probably just showing my age: I stand corrected as noting that I meant women are physically weaker (usually) and thus will maybe get some slack that us big, burly types won't in a shoot-no shoot situation. No offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    Just make sure that you're not so nervous about being attacked that you shoot someone for asking directions. A BG usually looks like a BG, usually has a criminal record and will usually approach in a threatening manner. If you shoot a guy in a business suit who's never had a parking ticket in the parking lot who was walking to his car and approached you to ask directions, you may have a harder time convincing someone your life was in danger.
    Mm hmm, agreed, I will be very careful

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Yikes...didn't mean to ruffle feathers with "weaker" sex comment. Probably just showing my age: I stand corrected as noting that I meant women are physically weaker (usually) and thus will maybe get some slack that us big, burly types won't in a shoot-no shoot situation. No offense intended.
    Fair enough, we stand our group here though While men typically have the physical advantage, it's also important to remember that statisticly, women more often than not are the ones sexually assaulted. So yes, we may be given the benefit of the doubt moreso than men would, but it all depends on the situation.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast