Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

wolfhunter Guest
    I don't remember a time limit for training for a FL CCW, so a class that meets Florida's standard would kill 2 birds at once.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Training is always worthwhile. While you might not want to take the specific course for a CCW in Florida. A shooting class or a force on force class might be well worthwhile.
    This is very true, training is never a bad thing!
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    I don't remember a time limit for training for a FL CCW, so a class that meets Florida's standard would kill 2 birds at once.
    Definitely something to look into
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    There's no limit for Florida, Utah it's six months prior to applying.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    There's no limit for Florida, Utah it's six months prior to applying.
    Ohh, excellent

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    I was sitting in my Law class a few weeks ago and the teacher mentioned that someone is only able to use physical force if their life is in immediate danger, for example, he said that an individual is not able to shoot someone if their car is being stolen. But I am a little bit confused when it comes to distinguishing between "your life being in immediate danger" and if someone has intentions of harming me (in my home, in a dark parking lot, wherever; I'm a female, you get where I'm going with this..) If I happened to be carrying concealed or open and I have a permit to do so, to what degree am I able to defend myself? Granted, I do not carry, but I would love to have a better understanding of how I could best handle the suggestion. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it :)
    Depends on your state. State laws vary a great deal. In Washington state it is legal to use lethal force to protect property, stop a felony, to stop a felon from fleeing the scene of a crime if they pose a threat to others, In defense of self and others from grievous bodily harm or death.

Washington State goes one step further and requires that the state pay all legal fees and costs of providing a defense if someone is charged with a crime and proves the shooting was justified

Some states require you flee from an attacker even inside your home and make it illegal to use a gun to stop an attack unless you can no longer flee have tried and failed at all other ways to stop the attack and only if the attack is life threatening. i.e. may not be used to stop say a rape. I think that Illinois is one such state thanks to the Obamanation who lobbied and voted to kill a law that would allow a gun to be used in self defense in your home.

So my opinion is read that law in your state. Read all of it everything. Research homicide, lethal force

Rules of thumb you may (and I think are obligated to) use whatever force is necessary to prevent previous injury or death of any human being self and others. Grievous harm is serious injury, a sever beating, any stabbing, gun shot or rape i.e. any non consensual sex act. You do not get to or want to shoot someone for giving you a black eye or fat lip.

You can only use lethal force as long as the threat remains you may not break someone's legs and continue to beat them as they lay on the ground no matter how much they may deserve it. You may not shoot some after they have surrendered and are complying with your orders.

Consult with a reputable criminal defense attorney have them explain the laws in your state and the courts interpretation of those laws.

The very best advice I have is do not be a volunteer victim. If you know you live in a dangerous world and refuse to do what is needed to protect yourself and your loved one you are volunteering yourself and them to be a unarmed defenseless victims.

Learn to shoot a gun, buy the gun you shoot best.

Get a permit and carry that gun everywhere you legally can, every day.

Get advanced training

The woman laying in the ally raped and strangled to death with her own stockings IS NOT morally superior to the woman explaining why the rapist has two bullet holes in his chest to the police.

The latter will go to take care of her loved ones, continue to contribute to the community and save other women from being brutalized and their lives destroyed. Of the two isn't that the woman you want to be? Not the source of agony and grief to all those you love.

Hope that helps a little
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Depends on your state. State laws vary a great deal. In Washington state it is legal to use lethal force to protect property, stop a felony, to stop a felon from fleeing the scene of a crime if they pose a threat to others, In defense of self and others from grievous bodily harm or death.

Washington State goes one step further and requires that the state pay all legal fees and costs of providing a defense if someone is charged with a crime and proves the shooting was justified

Some states require you flee from an attacker even inside your home and make it illegal to use a gun to stop an attack unless you can no longer flee have tried and failed at all other ways to stop the attack and only if the attack is life threatening. i.e. may not be used to stop say a rape. I think that Illinois is one such state thanks to the Obamanation who lobbied and voted to kill a law that would allow a gun to be used in self defense in your home.

So my opinion is read that law in your state. Read all of it everything. Research homicide, lethal force

Rules of thumb you may (and I think are obligated to) use whatever force is necessary to prevent previous injury or death of any human being self and others. Grievous harm is serious injury, a sever beating, any stabbing, gun shot or rape i.e. any non consensual sex act. You do not get to or want to shoot someone for giving you a black eye or fat lip.

You can only use lethal force as long as the threat remains you may not break someone's legs and continue to beat them as they lay on the ground no matter how much they may deserve it. You may not shoot some after they have surrendered and are complying with your orders.

Consult with a reputable criminal defense attorney have them explain the laws in your state and the courts interpretation of those laws.

The very best advice I have is do not be a volunteer victim. If you know you live in a dangerous world and refuse to do what is needed to protect yourself and your loved one you are volunteering yourself and them to be a unarmed defenseless victims.

Learn to shoot a gun, buy the gun you shoot best.

Get a permit and carry that gun everywhere you legally can, every day.

Get advanced training

The woman laying in the ally raped and strangled to death with her own stockings IS NOT morally superior to the woman explaining why the rapist has two bullet holes in his chest to the police.

The latter will go to take care of her loved ones, continue to contribute to the community and save other women from being brutalized and their lives destroyed. Of the two isn't that the woman you want to be? Not the source of agony and grief to all those you love.

Hope that helps a little
    Thank you, very helpful

9. Hmm. To me, if it is nighttime + you are home + someone breaks into your home the legal interpretation is that your life is in danger by definition. That's why daylight B&E's are in general treated differently then "nighttime home invasions".

The idea of attempting to discover, at night, in your dark home, with a menacing stranger there, whether he is armed or not, is, I am sorry, insane.

when

Dear GabbyDP/Pa
    The best I can offer is that you attend Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force institute when he is touring the country and close to your location. It is four days and is not cheap. However, when you have completed the course, you will have no doubt about what you can legally do and not do under a variety of circumstances. His course is top drawer and is mostly lecture about the law. There is some shooting , but not much.
    Best
    YN

Castle Doctrine

I'm surprised no one has brought this up, or maybe I missed it. Here in the Great (Southern) State of Georgia, the state congress recently passed a bill called the Castle Doctrine. It plainly reads

"In a split second decision, victims don't have the time to FULLY decide what is best, Fight or Flight. This bill states....if you "perceive" your life or family members life to be in danger, you have the right to use deadly force."

All you have to prove, is that danger was perceived. Too many cases have been taken to court with Hindsight....and at the time of incident, hindsight was not an option.

More info here
    Georgia Castle Doctrine bill becomes law! - THR

Now as far as myself, I practice my fast draw/rapid shots, at 30 feet. Anything under that, I'll drop you, anything further, I can probably get away.

While it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by six, it's best to fill a police report and let them look for them, then again, I had a guy pull a deer rifle on me once, it the middle of town @ 5am, on the way to work. It took the County Sheriff's Deputies 15 min to get there. I was carrying, and had pulled my gun, but did not shoot, because he didn't point it at me. He was just some hot-headed jerk, who was trying to act tough. It was dark, he could not see in my car, and because I wasn't trigger happy, I don't have to live with the thought of having killed someone, justified or not it's still death, and some kids didn't lose their dad, just because he's a moron. Sadly....even morons have the right to live. Sheriff Deputy....when he finally showed up, said that if I would have dropped him where he was (in front of my car) with the rifle in his hand, they would have had me back at work by lunch.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast