Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 148

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    And even if you did there is no guarantee that the BG won't shoot you anyway.
    That's why you assume they are willing to kill you if they are willing to take your car or your money from you and that is why you need act accordingly.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    BGs kill even if they don't take your car or your money. They can kill you for no reason at all, other than the fact that it was you who was there when they wanted to kill someone.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322

    Exclamation Don't be a Victim

    "Don't be a Victim"

    ... Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim. ...

    Don't be a Victim whole story.

    ---

  5. #24
    wolfhunter Guest
    GCF, Bundy was all that, but we took care of him the right way.

  6. #25
    Judging from these posts, it is apparent that gabby isn't all that sure when to use deadly force. And you really need to be sure of yourself. Study the law, know your options, develop situational awareness, don't put yourself needlessly in a bad situation, and always remember that using deadly force should always be your last resort. When you draw that gun, you are intending on causing grevious bodily injury, and it may very well be to someone you don't want to shoot.

    Carrying is an awesome responsibility. Hang around up here and in other similar forums, check out as much information as you can, practice, and know the law. There won't be someone there to give you advice when you decide.
    -= Piece Corps =-

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Gabby, criminals are going to commit many violent crimes all at the same time to get what they want. If someone is stealing your car, whether or not he or she is holding you hostage, with or without a weapon, THEY CERTAINLY MIGHT KILL YOU AFTER THE FACT, EVEN DURING THE FACT. DO NOT ASSUME OTHERWISE! If you are ever in a situation where you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about the outcome of that situation, THEY MIGHT CERTAINLY KILL YOU AFTER THE FACT, OR WHILE IN THE PROCESS. If someone is trying to sexually assault you, YES, THEY MAY KILL YOU THEN AS WELL. Never think the best of the bag guys/gals. Think the worst and act accordingly. That's how you will stay alive!

    (Capital letters are for adamant emphasis!)
    Thank you! That's straight forward
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    Judging from these posts, it is apparent that gabby isn't all that sure when to use deadly force. And you really need to be sure of yourself. Study the law, know your options, develop situational awareness, don't put yourself needlessly in a bad situation, and always remember that using deadly force should always be your last resort. When you draw that gun, you are intending on causing grevious bodily injury, and it may very well be to someone you don't want to shoot.

    Carrying is an awesome responsibility. Hang around up here and in other similar forums, check out as much information as you can, practice, and know the law. There won't be someone there to give you advice when you decide.
    I would say that's a correct conclusion. I'm still struggling with the idea of causing someone harm, even if its a matter of me protecting myself. It's kind of a back and forth battle. Sometimes I feel like it's my right to defend myself to a degree, but other times I just don't understand where someone is coming from, I can't understand where someone is coming from when they intentionally cause someone harm if its not for a defense purpose. I'm undecided. Sometimes I'm adamant about defending myself, and other times I'm tired of dealing with the situation altogether. Many of you think I'm totally crazy for feeling confused about this issue! Which is fine but if anyone has any advice for how they finally made the decision that it was no one's right to hurt you, steal from you, etc, I'd love to hear about it As far as hanging out in these forums, knowing the law, and getting accurate information I completely agree :) I apologize, I'm not able to contribute as much as many of you because all of this is very new to me, I don't have much advice to offer, but I love hearing advice and I really appreciate everyone for sharing
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    I would say that's a correct conclusion. I'm still struggling with the idea of causing someone harm, even if its a matter of me protecting myself. It's kind of a back and forth battle. Sometimes I feel like it's my right to defend myself to a degree, but other times I just don't understand where someone is coming from, I can't understand where someone is coming from when they intentionally cause someone harm if its not for a defense purpose. I'm undecided. Sometimes I'm adamant about defending myself, and other times I'm tired of dealing with the situation altogether. Many of you think I'm totally crazy for feeling confused about this issue! Which is fine but if anyone has any advice for how they finally made the decision that it was no one's right to hurt you, steal from you, etc, I'd love to hear about it As far as hanging out in these forums, knowing the law, and getting accurate information I completely agree :) I apologize, I'm not able to contribute as much as many of you because all of this is very new to me, I don't have much advice to offer, but I love hearing advice and I really appreciate everyone for sharing
    I understand that you are grappling with how you feel and what you want to do. That shows, to me at least, that you are not a BG, that you have a conscious. BGs don't. You care about people. We do too. We care that BGs don't hurt us or those we love.

    There are two things that come to mind that you can do to help you understand criminals a bit more. First, do a few "ride-alongs" with your local peace agency. You can see first hand how criminals work. They have no qualms about hurting us.

    Second, take a self defense class, maybe martial arts, a Police or Sheriff's Dep't. class, even military training. If by chance you decide not to carry then you can still learn the basics of defense.
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 01-26-2009 at 06:13 PM.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I understand that you are grappling with how you feel and what you want to do. That shows, to me at least, that you are not a BG, that you have a conscious. BGs don't. You care about people. We do too. We care that BGs don't hurt us or those we love.

    There are two things that come to mind that you can do to help you understand criminals a bit more. First, do a few "ride-alongs" with your local peace agency. You can see first hand how criminals work. They have no qualms about hurting us.

    Second, take a self defense class, maybe martial arts, a Police or Sheriff's Dep't. class, even military training. If by chance you decide not to carry then you can still learn the basics of defense.
    What does BG stand for ? I appreciate the compliment, well, I consider it a compliment to be told that you care about people :) And it's very clear to me that other people in this forum, very much including you and the other people that have responded to my questions, also care about people.

    Both suggestions sound like excellent ideas, I will look into them I was considering taking a firearms training class at Target Master (the shooting range I have gone to a couple of times) to at least get a better understanding of guns, how they work, the laws behind them, etc. Would you recommend that over a self defense class or will they pretty much provide the same basis?
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    What does BG stand for ? I appreciate the compliment, well, I consider it a compliment to be told that you care about people :) And it's very clear to me that other people in this forum, very much including you and the other people that have responded to my questions, also care about people.

    Both suggestions sound like excellent ideas, I will look into them I was considering taking a firearms training class at Target Master (the shooting range I have gone to a couple of times) to at least get a better understanding of guns, how they work, the laws behind them, etc. Would you recommend that over a self defense class or will they pretty much provide the same basis?
    Sorry, BG = Bad Guy/Gal.
    I don't know what kind/type of training Target Master does so I cannot recommend it one way or another. Maybe someone else on this forum knows what type of training they offer. I would recommend, though, that you take some type of training with the firearm, pistol or revolver, that you are considering carrying. You will need that to apply for your concealed carry permit if or when you eventually apply for it.

    I would recommend a self defense class anyway. Not counting what I learned in the Army, the class I took is offered by the Sheriff's Department here in my rural county (Nye County, Nevada) to all women, free of charge, to help to lower the rape and capitol crimes incidences. As far as I know, it's working. This county has a very low crime rate!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast