Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    Judging from these posts, it is apparent that gabby isn't all that sure when to use deadly force. And you really need to be sure of yourself. Study the law, know your options, develop situational awareness, don't put yourself needlessly in a bad situation, and always remember that using deadly force should always be your last resort. When you draw that gun, you are intending on causing grevious bodily injury, and it may very well be to someone you don't want to shoot.

Carrying is an awesome responsibility. Hang around up here and in other similar forums, check out as much information as you can, practice, and know the law. There won't be someone there to give you advice when you decide.
    No, you are not intending on causing grievous bodily injury. You are intending to stop someone else from causing grievous bodily injury! That is an important difference. That is the mindset that you need have and that is the mindset that you should always communicate before as well as absolutely after any confrontation.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    No, you are not intending on causing grievous bodily injury. You are intending to stop someone else from causing grievous bodily injury! That is an important difference. That is the mindset that you need have and that is the mindset that you should always communicate before as well as absolutely after any confrontation.
    To add to what MJ says, NO * ONE * HAS * THE * RIGHT * TO * TOUCH * YOU * OR * HARM * YOU! NO ONE! You must be able to justify in your own mind keeping yourself safe. When you are at home or out and about, no one else will be there to do it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    To add to what MJ says, NO * ONE * HAS * THE * RIGHT * TO * TOUCH * YOU * OR * HARM * YOU! NO ONE! You must be able to justify in your own mind keeping yourself safe. When you are at home or out and about, no one else will be there to do it for you!
    The standard for using deadly force is to stop grievous bodily harm or death. I wouldn't shoot someone because they inappropriately "touched" me and feel sure you are on the same page. I just want to make it clear.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Sorry, BG = Bad Guy/Gal.
    I don't know what kind/type of training Target Master does so I cannot recommend it one way or another. Maybe someone else on this forum knows what type of training they offer. I would recommend, though, that you take some type of training with the firearm, pistol or revolver, that you are considering carrying. You will need that to apply for your concealed carry permit if or when you eventually apply for it.

I would recommend a self defense class anyway. Not counting what I learned in the Army, the class I took is offered by the Sheriff's Department here in my rural county (Nye County, Nevada) to all women, free of charge, to help to lower the rape and capitol crimes incidences. As far as I know, it's working. This county has a very low crime rate!
    Ok My only concern with taking the class is that I'm not of legal age to carry in the state of PA anyway, so it may make sense to take a self defense class and then wait until I am 21 and would be able to apply for a permit. I didn't realize they offered classes for free, that's very interesting, I will look into it :)
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

The standard for using deadly force is to stop grievous bodily harm or death. I wouldn't shoot someone because they inappropriately "touched" me and feel sure you are on the same page. I just want to make it clear.
    This is very true, but I've found that in many situations "touching" turns to taking my clothes off when I've asked them not to so that's where I have an issue. It's a matter of determining at what point do I stand up for myself and make it clear that I've had enough, it's a tough boundary to determine I've found. But, agreed, someone "touching" doesn't justify shooting them. Thank you for emphasizing that
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Misunderstood. When that gun is discharged, the rounds are going to harm whoever they hit. True, you are trying to prevent the BG from causing harm, but you don't want to shoot someone else in the process. It's okay to blow away the BG, and stop the assault, but you have to assume the responsibility for pulling that gun out and discharging it. If you're not ready to assume that responsibility, then it might be a good idea not to carry.
    -= Piece Corps =-

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    Misunderstood. When that gun is discharged, the rounds are going to harm whoever they hit. True, you are trying to prevent the BG from causing harm, but you don't want to shoot someone else in the process. It's okay to blow away the BG, and stop the assault, but you have to assume the responsibility for pulling that gun out and discharging it. If you're not ready to assume that responsibility, then it might be a good idea not to carry.
    This is also very true, and I appreciate the advice Should anyone have any concerns, I legally cannot carry yet, and even if I could this is certainly not a decision that I would make irrationally. That's part of why I'm here, to get wonderful advice from people from understand best, like yourself I want as many suggestions and opinions and resources as possible before I even consider making such an influentual decision

Sorry, Jim, I should clarify. The term "touch me" means he touched me inappropriately, as in where he shouldn't have touched me, or rape if it gets to that. Generally, women understand the term, I didn't give it a second thought that men might not. Mea culpa.

Sorry, Jim, I should clarify. The term "touch me" means he touched me inappropriately, as in where he shouldn't have touched me, or rape if it gets to that. Generally, women understand the term, I didn't give it a second thought that men might not. Mea culpa.
    Mmm, I see, I didn't at all consider that it could be taken differently..I apologize, I didn't make it very clear.

That's a tough one. Where do you draw the line? It's different with a guy. An inappropriate touch gets a fist or a shoe.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast