Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    So "no" or is the best option, understood

Can you explain the last part? I'm a little bit confused about who is less likely to escalate to the use of force
    Us guys seem to be more likely to go from talking/threatening/yelling to more violent efforts than many females. So part of self defense training (both armed and unarmed) for women needs to include developing a "prepared to hurt someone" mindset. Picture a scenario for yourself. You say, "No." You say, "No" a second time. How far do you let things go before you gobeyond talking?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Us guys seem to be more likely to go from talking/threatening/yelling to more violent efforts than many females. So part of self defense training (both armed and unarmed) for women needs to include developing a "prepared to hurt someone" mindset. Picture a scenario for yourself. You say, "No." You say, "No" a second time. How far do you let things go before you gobeyond talking?
    Agreed, which is where I have a hard time figuring out how to best handle the situation. It seems that often I can spend the entire night saying "no" but the end result is ineffective. But I'm not sure what the best option would be aside from saying "no", especially if I'm outnumbered. It wouldn't be a good decision to be physically defensive, in my opinion, knowing that one, I'm a really small girl, but two, if I'm outnumbered I really don't stand a chance.
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

Wolf has a good point. You need to be prepared to stop the threat, hurting them or not hurting them. If saying "No" once does not stop the threat, then you may need to be prepared to defend yourself. No one else may be there with you to help you so it's going to be only you knowing what to do and how to do it. That's why I recommended a self-defense course. The sheriff's department in my county offers one for free. I don't know if there is one in your area. Maybe you could google "self defense" along with your zip code and see what shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Wolf has a good point. You need to be prepared to stop the threat, hurting them or not hurting them. If saying "No" once does not stop the threat, then you may need to be prepared to defend yourself. No one else may be there with you to help you so it's going to be only you knowing what to do and how to do it. That's why I recommended a self-defense course. The sheriff's department in my county offers one for free. I don't know if there is one in your area. Maybe you could google "self defense" along with your zip code and see what shows up.
    I will look into that definitely Personally, I think that as a society in the U.S. we need to work towards a better outlook of respect towards women Extremely realistic I know
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    Agreed, which is where I have a hard time figuring out how to best handle the situation. It seems that often I can spend the entire night saying "no" but the end result is ineffective. But I'm not sure what the best option would be aside from saying "no", especially if I'm outnumbered. It wouldn't be a good decision to be physically defensive, in my opinion, knowing that one, I'm a really small girl, but two, if I'm outnumbered I really don't stand a chance.
    Outnumbered? That is the reason it is said that Col. Colt made men (and women) equal. Going from "No" to a weapon is a logical progression when outnumbered. A non-lethal weapon might be appropriate, and then a lethal one if things don't settle down.

Outnumbered? That is the reason it is said that Col. Colt made men (and women) equal. Going from "No" to a weapon is a logical progression when outnumbered. A non-lethal weapon might be appropriate, and then a lethal one if things don't settle down.
    Which is where the interest in carrying comes into play Unfortunately, in past situations I was too young to even have a general understanding of the situation to begin with, but, now the issue is that I'm still not of legal age to carry in the state of Pennsylvania. Now I have a good understanding of how things can go wrong, but unfortunately, I'm still for the most part left unable to really defend myself. Not that I'm just waiting for the day that something bad will happen, but I can't say that I'm comfortable the nights that I'm alone or out somewhere. I do carry mace!

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    A also agree that a very loud "Halt, get on the ground. You're scaring me" or "Halt..or I'll fire" is a great idea especially when out in public. If you shoot someone and people in the vicinity heard you warn the BG but the BG still kept coming, they will testify to that in court. It will draw their attention to what is going down and establish you as the GG and him as the BG. If all they hear are gunshots and see the BG going down, they will testify that all they saw was you shoot a man. For all they know, you shot the guy over a parking space.
    Well, now, that's all great...if what your witnesses see and hear is what was said and done! Countless tests show that people's descriptions of events, all seen and heard at the same time, can vary WIDELY!

Try these little tests and see if you agree...

Last edited by Ektarr; 01-28-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

wolfhunter Guest
    For a non-lethal alternative you may want a Cold Steel Mini Koga, a Sharkie, or similar item, IF legal in PA. These are small tools that can be used inside the fist to reinforce it when striking, or the ends can be employed in a hammering action to discourage an attacker.

For a non-lethal alternative you may want a Cold Steel Mini Koga, a Sharkie, or similar item, IF legal in PA. These are small tools that can be used inside the fist to reinforce it when striking, or the ends can be employed in a hammering action to discourage an attacker.
    I looked both up, very interesting idea How do you use the Sharkie? I saw pictures of it and it looks exactly like a pen..

wolfhunter Guest
    Sharkie LOOKS like a pen, carries like a pen, works just like the Mini Koga. Use it the same way. If you search, you should be able to find similar tools with a quick-release on a keychain.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast