Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Sharkie LOOKS like a pen, carries like a pen, works just like the Mini Koga. Use it the same way. If you search, you should be able to find similar tools with a quick-release on a keychain.
    It doesn't seem like it has a sharp end though..which I guess is the point Does the cap come off? Or do you use it as is?
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    It doesn't seem like it has a sharp end though..which I guess is the point Does the cap come off? Or do you use it as is?
    What cap? It is only colored to look like a pen. It doesn't take a sharp point when jabbed into a tender spot. A jab at the side, just below the ribs, can double someone over. Other spots are more tender.

What cap? It is only colored to look like a pen. It doesn't take a sharp point when jabbed into a tender spot. A jab at the side, just below the ribs, can double someone over. Other spots are more tender.
    I'm looking at one where the cap comes off http://www.valleymartialarts.com/images/cs91sp.gif Although, it looks like it is a standard pen aside from a self-defense weapon? Not sure though. Is it necessary to hit a really sensitive area for it to be effective or will anywhere do?
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

wolfhunter Guest
    I'm looking at one where the cap comes off http://www.valleymartialarts.com/images/cs91sp.gif Although, it looks like it is a standard pen aside from a self-defense weapon? Not sure though. Is it necessary to hit a really sensitive area for it to be effective or will anywhere do?
    AH, sorry. That style has a working pen under a cap. The ones I'd seen didn't actually open. Use it as a pen with the cap off, defensive tool with cap on.

The ends work very well against soft tissue or smaller strike points like the temples. However, wrapping your fist around the body of the Sharkie will brace your knuckles and allow you to hit harder. A roll of coins (whichever denomination fits best) will do the same thing, and they are legal in places the Sharkie wouldn't be.

AH, sorry. That style has a working pen under a cap. The ones I'd seen didn't actually open. Use it as a pen with the cap off, defensive tool with cap on.

The ends work very well against soft tissue or smaller strike points like the temples. However, wrapping your fist around the body of the Sharkie will brace your knuckles and allow you to hit harder. A roll of coins (whichever denomination fits best) will do the same thing, and they are legal in places the Sharkie wouldn't be.
    That's ok, I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the correct thing I'm not really a hitter I have to say Something about having to actually touch them kind of deters me..I'm just not one to cause any harm, but, get tired of being harmed so it's a decision that has to be made, which we've discussed Ok, another good suggestion, I've never thought of that..

Agreed, which is where I have a hard time figuring out how to best handle the situation. It seems that often I can spend the entire night saying "no" but the end result is ineffective. But I'm not sure what the best option would be aside from saying "no", especially if I'm outnumbered. It wouldn't be a good decision to be physically defensive, in my opinion, knowing that one, I'm a really small girl, but two, if I'm outnumbered I really don't stand a chance.
    It seems to me that by the time a second no is required, the time to leave the situation/person has arrived. If it goes beyond that or egress is blocked, then the time for serious self defense/scream for help has arrived. In the case of an inappropriate acquaintance, pepper spray seems to me to be a good solution. I don't think it is a good solution for a stranger attacker.

Now if you are being "attacked" (as opposed to an inappropriate touch by an acquaintance), it is time to immediately go into a self defense position i.e. draw the gun.
    Last edited by maybejim; 01-28-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

It seems to me without serious training and constant practice, physically engaging an attacker is a major mistake particularly for a woman. Personally, I'm at an age as the saying goes where I'm too old to take a beating and too young to die. I would not engage an attacker in a physical confrontation.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It seems to me that by the time a second no is required, the time to leave the situation/person has arrived. If it goes beyond that or egress is blocked, then the time for serious self defense/scream for help has arrived.

Now if you are being "attacked" (as opposed to an inappropriate touch by an acquaintance), it is time to immediately go into a self defense position i.e. draw the gun.
    Mm hmm, agreed. But it's tough if you don't have the option of leaving, or if you kind of know the individual. All situations are different, but I agree, in general, the first no should be enough.

Or, in my situation, use the little Sharkie

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It seems to me without serious training and constant practice, physically engaging an attacker is a major mistake particularly for a woman. Personally, I'm at an age as the saying goes where I'm too old to take a beating and too young to die. I would not engage an attacker in a physical confrontation.
    Right, which I partially agree with, which is why I mentioned earlier that sometimes I'm better off kind of going along with the situation as opposed to physically resisting it. Because when it comes down to it, I'd rather sort of comply then be tied down or whatever else they have in mind. But, that doesn't necessarily make for a great outcome as I'm sure you know, so the question becomes what do I do in that situation without going along and without resisting. It's a very tough decision!

wolfhunter Guest
    Obviously, avoidance is best. My suggestions were based on that option being unavailable.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast