Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree. - Page 8
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about when it is considered appropriate to defend myself and to what degree.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyDP View Post
    Right, which I partially agree with, which is why I mentioned earlier that sometimes I'm better off kind of going along with the situation as opposed to physically resisting it. Because when it comes down to it, I'd rather sort of comply then be tied down or whatever else they have in mind. But, that doesn't necessarily make for a great outcome as I'm sure you know, so the question becomes what do I do in that situation without going along and without resisting. It's a very tough decision!
    It seems to me that that is where pepper spray would be valuable. It also seems to me that your level of awareness needs to be always up to par. If there is a chance of you being put into a bad situation, it's always better to simply avoid the situation all together. If that means you will miss out on barhopping to 3 in the morning, so be it.

Travel with friends. Don't get in a compromisable position. Skip what might be fun for the sake of safety. It may not be fair, but what do you want? Fair or safety?

My position has always to avoid trouble. If I can't avoid it, I certainly would fight to the death. I tend to be hardheaded. I won't go along to get along (in anything serious). That is a decision you have to make for yourself. But remember it is always easier to avoid trouble than it is to defeat trouble.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It seems to me that that is where pepper spray would be valuable. It also seems to me that your level of awareness needs to be always up to par. If there is a chance of you being put into a bad situation, it's always better to simply avoid the situation all together. If that means you will miss out on barhopping to 3 in the morning, so be it.

Travel with friends. Don't get in a compromisable position. Skip what might be fun for the sake of safety. It may not be fair, but what do you want? Fair or safety?

My position has always to avoid trouble. If I can't avoid it, I certainly would fight to the death. I tend to be hardheaded. I won't go along to get along (in anything serious). That is a decision you have to make for yourself. But remember it is always easier to avoid trouble than it is to defeat trouble.
    I assure you, I'm not the bar hopping kind of girl. One, I don't drink at all, doesn't appeal to me, don't like the idea of being in a situation where I'm not able to make good, clear decisions. Second, it's just not my kind of scene, definitely not something I'm interested in! Past situations took place at night when I was at the barn where I board my horse, or at school, or at a gas station filling up my car. But all good points, it's more important to be safe then risk it for just having what may appear to be a good time. And it's something I do attempt to live by, I have no intentions of being in a bad siutation because I made a bad decision. I wanted advice for how to get out of a bad situation in case I come upon one, and I really appreciate everything you've suggested
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

I assure you, I'm not the bar hopping kind of girl.
    You seem to be too level headed for that but too many girls do fall prey to that sort of thing when they get off to college or off on their own. Peer pressure does get people to do stupid things at times.

But all good points, it's more important to be safe then risk it for just having what may appear to be a good time.
    Indeed, and numbers generally make for safety (but not when all fall prey to silliness).

Of course when you can, a carry permit would go quite a way towards self defense, though it won't save anyone from bad decisions.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

You seem to be too level headed for that but too many girls do fall prey to that sort of thing when they get off to college or off on their own. Peer pressure does get people to do stupid things at times.

Indeed, and numbers generally make for safety (but not when all fall prey to silliness).

Of course when you can, a carry permit would go quite a way towards self defense, though it won't save anyone from bad decisions.
    Thank you, I appreciate that I will make sure to steer clear of falling prey to peer pressure when I head off to college

Mm hmm, numbers tend to be the best option, unless they are all drinking and then I'm left responsible for all of them, that tends to place me in a worse situation then if I'm on my own

I think a carry permit would be an excellent idea, but I still have quite a few years before I can make that decision, which is fine by me for the most part because it's a very big decision to make
    I'm secure enough in my self-esteem that I know I cannot handle a 150-pound guy coming at me, but I can handle a firearm to keep that man away from me. -- Maria Heil

6. ...just my two cents, if i may. it's ALWAYS appropriate to defend yourself if you're threatened. if you can't evade, defend. the degree of defense should be greater than the degree of the threat. meet force with like or greater force. pepper spray and a roll of coins in your pocket could help as most "date rape" types are skeered of anything that could hurt them. as far as carrying a gun goes it's already been stated that it's a big responsibility and if you're serious about protection that's the way to go. when i took my cwp class one of the first things that the instructors told us is "if any of you has any moral, ethical, or religious reasons why you can't take someone's life if yours is being threatened, you're in the wrong place." does't mean that they were telling us to be killers, they were telling us that in a life or death situation, it's better to be the victor than the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by t-diddy View Post
    ...just my two cents, if i may. it's ALWAYS appropriate to defend yourself if you're threatened. if you can't evade, defend. the degree of defense should be greater than the degree of the threat. meet force with like or greater force. pepper spray and a roll of coins in your pocket could help as most "date rape" types are skeered of anything that could hurt them. as far as carrying a gun goes it's already been stated that it's a big responsibility and if you're serious about protection that's the way to go. when i took my cwp class one of the first things that the instructors told us is "if any of you has any moral, ethical, or religious reasons why you can't take someone's life if yours is being threatened, you're in the wrong place." does't mean that they were telling us to be killers, they were telling us that in a life or death situation, it's better to be the victor than the victim.
    Of course, I always love to hear advice It's a good thing to mention before starting a class, I can imagine it's really important to know and understand the situation before getting involved. And I do carry mace, which is always good I suppose

And I do carry mace, which is always good I suppose
    From what I understand, pepper spray is better.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

9. I wouldn't mind having a taser for those times when force is required, but deadly force may not be appropriate.

From what I understand, pepper spray is better.
    I was incorrect, I do carry pepper spray. It's called Pepper Shot. 2 Million Scoville Heat Units? My boyfriend ordered it for me, I know how to use it, that's about it Well, and I know it's legal, I always look into that

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    I wouldn't mind having a taser for those times when force is required, but deadly force may not be appropriate.
    Unfortunately tasers are not legal here Well, in the city of Philadelphia at least, I'm not there often, but I don't want to make the mistake of having it with me accidently, especially since pepper spray is legal.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast