Expired Ammunition?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expired Ammunition??

i have ammo from the 40s that still works ,shot shells dont last long befor going bad had some a few years old that went bad from moisture i think.

as long as it has not been exposed to a lot of humidity it should be fine for many many years probably longer than you will live.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Old Ammo

I have several hundred rounds of .30 M1 Carbine ammunition that are headstamped "LC 51". I interpret that as it being loaded at LAKE CITY Arsenal in 1951. It was given to a friend of mine by the widow of an acquaintance of his. My friend don't have a .30 M1 Carbine. I have owned the one I have for over 35 years. So I wound up with the ammo. I have fired fifty or so rounds and so far it has functioned, flawlessly. I certainly wouldn't use it for self defense, but, free practice ammo is always welcomed by me!!!

my .02..

i have some 9x18 and 7.62x39 i bought during the first clinton admin and recently fired it and they functioned perfectly. would not have a problem using during a critical incident......or worse.
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS TRAINING TO KILL YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    That's simple, you should be rotating out PPA. Every 3 to 4 months I fire off all my carry ammo and replace it with fresh ammo. Carry ammo is subjected to harsher environments that stored ammo and there is a greater chance of contamination. To be safe I don't recommend carrying carry ammo longer than 6 months.
    I assume that is just for the ammo that is kept in mags. What about extra ammo that is kept with the rest of the surplus? Do tha same rules apply as the ones carried?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by abock33 View Post
    I assume that is just for the ammo that is kept in mags. What about extra ammo that is kept with the rest of the surplus? Do tha same rules apply as the ones carried?
    That's correct. Just the ammo you physically carry. The ammo in your firearm and the extra you carry with it.
    The extra non-carried ammo will last for many years as long as you keep it cool and dry.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12