Expired Ammunition??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expired Ammunition??

Expired Ammunition??

I can't seem to find any info on how long ammo stays good. I have several boxes which are at least 10 years old and not sure if they are good or SAFE. 300 Savage and 250 Savage. HELP!

No good

That stuff is no good. Send it to me.

Should be fine unless it has been underwater or something. Lots of people still shooting 60s and 70s milsurp.

Check for brass cracks or corrosion.

Jes is correct. As long as it has been stored correctly it should be good. Look at the brass. If it's corroded heavily or pitted then don't use it. I'm shooting 30-06 ammo made in the 40's and it works like a charm. If you have any doubt at all you can always pull the bullets and reload them.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

wolfhunter Guest
    Just send Jes the green, textured rounds. You can still use the rest of the ammo.

6. I was shooting some 1947 ammo a few years ago and it a number of them failed to fire, but they were fine other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Chance View Post
    I can't seem to find any info on how long ammo stays good. I have several boxes which are at least 10 years old and not sure if they are good or SAFE. 300 Savage and 250 Savage. HELP!
    I read a story of some 30-06 ammo found on a ship sunk during WWII. If I remember correctly most of it was still good some 50 years later. I think it was in waterproof boxes.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

How long would any of you leave personal protection ammunition around?

Quote Originally Posted by Pele View Post
    How long would any of you leave personal protection ammunition around?
    That's simple, you should be rotating out PPA. Every 3 to 4 months I fire off all my carry ammo and replace it with fresh ammo. Carry ammo is subjected to harsher environments that stored ammo and there is a greater chance of contamination. To be safe I don't recommend carrying carry ammo longer than 6 months.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

by heavy corrosion, are you referring to the waxy green stuff on the brass?

If the green corrosion has pitted the brass then I would be worried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast