Smart Gun - Good or Bad?

View Poll Results: What Do You Think About Smart Guns?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wouldn't buy one.

95 82.61%
  • Neat but I'm not for laws restriction use to them only

20 17.39%
  • Great idea and they should be the only guns sold.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Gun - Good or Bad?

Smart Gun - Good or Bad?

I wouldn't buy one and don't like the idea of any law having to use them. I just got an email from my mother asking me about them so I sent her some info I found on them. I just wanted to start a discussion about them to see what you think.

The smart gun has been criticized by both the gun-rights and gun-control groups. One argument is concerning the use of technology with little testing in the field in a machine where a delay or malfunction of chips could cost lives rather than save them. This issue is such a concern that the New Jersey law on smart guns exempts police departments from having to buy them. Which defeats the purpose of law enforcement officers using them in the first place. Smart guns show a lack of reliability, they do not always identify and allow the authorized user, the best examples show a successful performance only 80% of the time.

Moreover the National Rifle Association (NRA) and dozens of other gun-rights groups oppose any law - like the one intended to be passed eventually by New Jersey state - that mandates the sale of only such smart firearms instead of leaving the choice to the buyer. Firearms experts note that the biometrics factors are subject to change due to owner fatigue, aging, illness, injury and failure to place the fingers in the same exact place each time the pistol is held.

Some gun control groups, such as the Violence Policy Center, are concerned that it might increase gun sales, given the newfound sense of security. But given the increased cost of a "smart gun" a sudden surge in gun ownership is unlikely. Other gun control groups and individuals are more interested in "no guns" than "smart guns".
    Nonetheless, the smart gun may become more common with advances in technology increasing its reliability.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

wolfhunter Guest
    They are a good way to get killed

Yea, working 80% of the time doesn't sound that great to me!

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

If you look at the way the laws trying to require them, you see in a hurry what a bad idea they are. They always exempt law enforcement. If they are not reliable enough for law enforcement/military, they are not reliable enough for private citizens.

Of course they don't exist, and they are nothing more than a tool for the anti-gun, anti-freedom bunch to price guns out of the reach of the regular citizen.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

If I ever get incapacitated my hope is someone near me would pick up my firearm and dispense of the BG. Couldn't happen with one of those.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Very bad idea.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free."--A.E. van Vogt

When 'smart guns' get as good as the ones in "The Weapon Shops of Isher" I'll be willing to discuss the subject.

Given current technology it's a simple "No."
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Very bad idead! 80% of the time they work? C'mon.... not even worth the time or the money. I love how anti groups are afraid this will surge firearm sales. Hilarious what they are afraid of!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

sounds interesting. I wouldn't want one even if they improve the technical flaws. Not a fan of any laws making it a required feature. I don't think this has a chance of becoming a reality nation wide.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Smart gun?

The antis blame inanimate objects (guns) for killing people. Now they suddenly want to have "smart" inanimate objects to kill people?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast