40s&w or 45acp - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40s&w or 45acp

For a little background info on my decision, I will say my first gun ever was a Taurus PT145 in .45 ACP. I loved the caliber, and how the gun felt for that matter, just not the gun. I ended up carrying a Kahr P40 for the last year and a half and all in all, its a great firearm and a great caliber... but I just put a new Kimber on layaway in .45 ACP and will be going back to the good old .45.

Don't get me wrong, I love the .40 S&W, and am confident in it's ability to protect me and my ability to use it in such a manner, but I can handle the .45 ACP just as well, and if I'm going to carry a pistol with 7 rounds in it, it might as well be a .45 ACP if I can manage it comfortably!

I have shot more handguns than I could even bear to remember, and my two favorites are always .40 and .45, and for wheelguns its always the .357 magnum... but the .45 pulls me back in every time.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

1911 in 40S/W

Good Evening fellow shooters,
    Has anyone here own or owned a 1911 in 40 calibe? If so, what make and model ?
    what was your opinion on performance and reliability? And do you still have it ?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. ZF
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ZooFuzz View Post
    what was your opinion on performance and reliability? And do you still have it ?
    The only onrs I know of are "Custom Competition" guns. I used to own a Springfield 9mm. Fine gun, but I found it left something lacking in excitement. Sold it and bought a 45.

Good luck.

I don't trust reloads and therefore have not bothered taking on another hobby. That said I have shot thousands of 40 S&W through my Glock 22, 23, and 27 all factory self defense or target not so much as a hiccup to this day. Just food for thought I trust my Glocks if my life would ever depend on them.

Quote Originally Posted by BWP View Post
    I don't trust reloads
    Ya know, I don't either. That's why I shoot reloads at the range and occationally get to practice clearing jams, but when I leave, my gun contains Winchester SXT or MagSafe. With as much as I shoot, it is economically needed that I reload. When it comes to trusting your life, I think any Premium grade ammunition is fine as long as you feel comfortable and trust it.

Law enforcement uses 9mm and 40 cal. 40 has the same ballistics as the 45 but the shell is smaller which means more bullets in the mag. I've owned both and prefer the 45 for the fire power and target shooting. 9mm probably a better choice for self defense and CCW. Some will disagree but a 45 is definitely a 1 shot stopping power and will through one target into the next. Good luck in court if you hit more than the assailant or intended target.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooFuzz View Post
    Para-USA makes full sized 1911s in .40 S&W.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Rent both and see which you like better. If you like both, prioritize which one you like better. I held out against .40 S&W for so long until I found a pair of S&W CS40s a couple of years ago. Now I want some 4014s, 4040PDs and 4006s in my collection.

Yes, this does get addicting so be forewarned.

As for reloading, I'll do it for practice but never for carry. I'll spare everyone rehashing that debate again.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

10. I think the 40 s&w is a good mix of velocity and punching power, both are good but I choose the 40

Quote Originally Posted by 51percent View Post
    Law enforcement uses 9mm and 40 cal. 40 has the same ballistics as the 45 but the shell is smaller which means more bullets in the mag. I've owned both and prefer the 45 for the fire power and target shooting. 9mm probably a better choice for self defense and CCW. Some will disagree but a 45 is definitely a 1 shot stopping power and will through one target into the next. Good luck in court if you hit more than the assailant or intended target.

I can think of a few LE agencies that use .45 ACP and a couple that use 10mm. There's one list member that's convinced that there is one LE agency that has an officer that carries a .50 AE. I have yet to verify this fact. "Netentity" knows who I'm talking about.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast