Had an interesting moment today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Had an interesting moment today

  1. #1

    Had an interesting moment today

    I was sitting outside High Point Coffee on Union in Memphis today about 12:15 drinking coffee and reading a book. Behind me I heard some yelling all of a sudden. I turned and looked, and there was an obvious thug standing beside his car in the middle of the parking lot yelling obscenities at the cell phone store next to the coffee shop. That struck me as curious because the place was closed. Maybe someone was in there working or something but I never saw anyone. Anyway, I am now keeping an eye on the guy, and watch him reach into his car and pull out a length of pipe. He continued to yell threatening comments at the store and started walking towards it. This is when I stood up, grabbed my cell phone and was heading into the coffee shop. He looked over at me as I neared the front door holding my cell phone open. He immediately turned around, jumped into his car and drove off. As he drove off he yelled something at me I didn't catch. At no point did I remotely come close to feeling I had to draw my pistol, but the ole adrenalin really started to kick in. I wasn't able to get a tag number, so I didn't bother to call the police, but I did warn the employees at the coffee shop to keep an eye out for him and his car - a tan El Camino.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Wow, now that's a day gone well! Good job!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    You should always call the police. I woke up to my dogs barking one night (and they rarely barked at night) and looked out front. There was an El Camino with two guys in our circle. One got out and was checking the back of my next door neighbor's kid's truck(the kid cleaned pools commercially). I yelled at them, the guy in the El Camino took off leaving the other guy, the other guy ran like mad came too close to a neighbor's garage and the automatic light came on, he veered (probably wet his pants) and went running down the cross street.

    I later talked to a cop and mentioned I didn't call the cops because I couldn't identify them and didn't have a plate number. He let me know that the call could have given probable cause to stop an El Camino and search it. So I screwed up. Always call the cops.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  5. #4
    good job.. you at least stopped a guy who was obviously up to no good.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

  6. #5
    wolfhunter Guest
    Rick,
    Glad the situation went as well as it did. Jim gives good advice. Call the police with as much info as you can provide.
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 02-08-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    You should always call the police. I woke up to my dogs barking one night (and they rarely barked at night) and looked out front. There was an El Camino with two guys in our circle. One got out and was checking the back of my next door neighbor's kid's truck(the kid cleaned pools commercially). I yelled at them, the guy in the El Camino took off leaving the other guy, the other guy ran like mad came too close to a neighbor's garage and the automatic light came on, he veered (probably wet his pants) and went running down the cross street.

    I later talked to a cop and mentioned I didn't call the cops because I couldn't identify them and didn't have a plate number. He let me know that the call could have given probable cause to stop an El Camino and search it. So I screwed up. Always call the cops.
    Fair enough. Since then I have been wondering whether I should have or not. Frankly a big part of why I didn't was because I had a date to meet a girl at the range at 1 PM. No excuse really but I knew I would have been standing there, waiting on the cops forever. This is Memphis you understand.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Rick,
    Glad the situattion went as well as it did. Jim gives good advice. Call the police with as much info as you can provide.
    There are a couple of cops eating at Danvers across the street right now. I will go talk to them.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    a big part of why I didn't was because I had a date to meet a girl at the range at 1 PM.
    A girl at the range always has priority but in this case all it would take is a phone call.

    No excuse really but I knew I would have been standing there, waiting on the cops forever
    No reason to wait. All you had was a little information. Give them that and your phone number and they can reach you if they have any need to.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
    There are a couple of cops eating at Danvers across the street right now. I will go talk to them.
    They said I should have called, but it is a bit late now. Live and learn.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
    They said I should have called, but it is a bit late now. Live and learn.
    That's what I said. I should have called. A day late but at least we both have learned now.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast