Gun for the lady
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun for the lady

Gun for the lady

Hey guys im in the market for a .380 for my fiancee. Ive been looking into the Ruger LCP, but mostly because i want a pocket BUG. But i figure if i get that she can carry it whenever. What are the good .380's out there?

My wife carries a Sig 232. Great gun, light, effective, and fun to shoot.
    My .02.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

I recommend she read this written by a woman for women who want to carry. Kathy is now Concealed Carry Magazine Editor.

Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jackson
    No one in her right mind fights for the sake of fighting. But if you have to defend yourself, it's good to have sharp claws.

Below you will find articles dealing with gun safety, kids, mindset, and much more. There are glossaries and step-by-step instructions on the shooting basics. If you've ever wondered about the legal or social or practical or ethical aspects of owning a gun or carrying it, or wonder if carrying a gun is right for you, you've come to the right place.

So pull up a chair, sit down, and rest awhile. We have a lot to talk about.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    >>> http://MP-Pistol.com/
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster
    >>> http://LCPforum.com/

The problem with the pocket .380s such as the Kel-Tec P3AT and the NAA Guardian is that they're small and lightweight that they do not absorb the recoil effectively.

One of the best secrets with respect to CCW is the Bersa Thunder .380. Another option would be a Makarov which is comparable in size.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I was told by one of my instructors "There are two things you never buy a woman, her shoes and her gun. You'll never get the right one."

I would take her to a gun shop to "pick up some ammo" and while your there let her look around. Pay attention to the ones she likes and the ones she does not. Then go from there.

I have a Kel Tec P3AT and like it a lot. Never had any issues with it. I also know someone that had a Kel Tec P32 she traded in for an LCP and has only had good things to say about it. I also know a few people that carry the Bersa Thunder .380 and love it. Really can't go wrong with any of the three.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

My wife picked a Taurus Millenium PT111 Pro in 9mm. Compact, lightweight, some power.
    "Gun a Month" Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    I was told by one of my instructors "There are two things you never buy a woman, her shoes and her gun. You'll never get the right one."
    You are correct, sir. Whenever I make a recommendation I should include the standard disclaimer of try it before you buy it.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post

I would take her to a gun shop to "pick up some ammo" and while your there let her look around. Pay attention to the ones she likes and the ones she does not. Then go from there.

I have a Kel Tec P3AT and like it a lot. Never had any issues with it. I also know someone that had a Kel Tec P32 she traded in for an LCP and has only had good things to say about it. I also know a few people that carry the Bersa Thunder .380 and love it. Really can't go wrong with any of the three.
    I dont plan on getting any gun that she doesnt like or feels uncomfortable with. I went a store today to see what they had with her, but they really didnt have anything there considering the huge rise of gun sales lately.

Okay, so this question .. "pokes the bear" so to say. Definitely check out "Cornered Cat".
    Don't demean your lady by assuming she can only handle a .380. Take her to a range and let her see what she is capable of, and comfortabale with. NEVER buy a gun for woman. Every person is different, her ability might surprise you!
    Just get her on a range, see what y'all discover together.. then go from there.

wolfhunter Guest
    My wife chose semi-autos over revolvers everytime I took her along to look at guns. She liked the feel of the Kahr CW9 when we were ready to buy. When we went to the range, she had trouble with the amount of recoil that was not absorbed by the lightweight gun. So, we went looking again. She now has a steel framed Tangfolio BTA-90.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast