Transfer vs. Registration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer vs. Registration

Transfer vs. Registration

Is there a difference between transfer and registration? When I buy a gun from a friend, we must have it transfered at a FFL. Is that gun now registered? If not, what is the purpose of the transfer?

3. It probably depends on your state. In TN we do not have to go through a FFl on a private sale, however, the federal background check that the dealer does for an over the counter sale is just a background check to make sure you shouldn't own a gun. TN has no registration process and standard federal background check prior to buying a gun is not registration. The dealer told me that the feds do not keep any of the data sent in. They are not keeping a record of how many guns you have and what they are....Yet. The dealer has to keep the paperwork for a specific period of time though.

Thanks rrc. To clarify, I live in PA. I have read that long guns need not be "transfered" but handguns (unless given between parent/child, grandparent/grandchild, or spouses) must be "transfered" by a FFL. Just wondering if that is a sugarcoated way of saying registered?

Welcome to USA Carry btw!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

6. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Just wondering if that is a sugarcoated way of saying registered?
    There is not federal gun registration currently. Some states require it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    It probably depends on your state. In TN we do not have to go through a FFl on a private sale, however, the federal background check that the dealer does for an over the counter sale is just a background check to make sure you shouldn't own a gun. TN has no registration process and standard federal background check prior to buying a gun is not registration. The dealer told me that the feds do not keep any of the data sent in. They are not keeping a record of how many guns you have and what they are....Yet. The dealer has to keep the paperwork for a specific period of time though.
    Make sure I "shouldn't own a gun" or make sure I'm "not prohibited from owning" or "eligible to purchase" a gun.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

8. You know what I mean. :) "Not prohibited from owning" would be most correct answer I guess.

OK, let me rephrase the question... Can anyone tell me, is there gun registration in PA?

(Being new to this site, I didn't realize that there were state-specific forums. I suppose this Q should be in the PA forum)

10. According to this, the only requirement PA has is a carry permit. No registration.

What are the Gun Laws in Pennsylvania?

Thanks again rrc. In that site you linked to it says "record of sale: Yes" Is this the "Transfer" that I asked about earlier? Is that basically to say that you need to pay a FFL to produce a reciept for a private sale between two friends?

BTW, the purpose of my question is that I am buying a handgun from my brother-in-law. I would just as soon give him the $$ and take the gun. But, he is hung up on this transfer thing. I'm just wondering what exactly is the purpose of the transfer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast