Dallas Gun Buyback Program Nets 147 Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Gun Buyback Program Nets 147 Firearms

Dallas Gun Buyback Program Nets 147 Firearms

Dallas city officials claim the streets are a little safer after a gun buyback and safety event held Saturday at Reunion Arena. Beating swords into ploughshares. Swapping serial numbers for cereal boxes. Citizens exchanged 147 working firearms for grocery store gift cards.

"They're $50 grocery cards," explained Dallas public information officer Frank Librio. "The folks'll get one grocery card for each weapon they turn in today."

The turned-in firearms were all kinds of calibers, long guns and handguns. One person even turned in a pretty sophisticated assault weapon.

Police inspected the weapons to make sure they were not tied to any crimes. If so, then they are held as evidence only. But officers did not run background checks on the donors. This was not a sting.

Kenneth Davis swapped two rifles that he inherited and a handgun. "They're just taking up space around the house," he said. "So, I brought them in."

"It's a worthwhile cause," said donor Cal Nunnally. "They were sitting around. It's in my best interests just to bring'em down."

"We weren't using it. Too much crime out here anyway," said donor Roy Collier. He and his family gave up a sawed off rifle. He said that the $50 of food will certainly come in handy.

Interest in the program was apparently pretty high. A steady stream of people came through, roughly 20 t o 30 people in line at all times since the doors opened in the morning.

"Got my grandkids staying with me," said donor Wayne Lovell. "I don't need them messing around with the gun, and I've got no use for it."

Bryron Goebel has daughters aged 3 and 6, and now no longer owns a rifle. "Too many guns out there that are not properly protected from kids or from society, so this is a great event," he said.

Source: cbs11tv.com

Gee i feel so much safer now.
    Last edited by lukem; 03-01-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

IDIOTS ALL

Hmmmm

The article says 20-30 people in line at all times, but they only get 147 firearms. Someone is not telling the truth.

wolfhunter Guest
    At 5 minutes per turn-in, that's 12+manhours. If they handled 2 or 3 turn-ins at a time, it's still 4-6 hours. 20 to 30 people in line is possible.

By the way, the last turn-in program in Florida was giving away $100 Bestbuy cards per gun. Does this mean the price of guns has gone down?

These "turn-ins" happen all the time all over the US. I best these people who are hard up could have sold their guns for higher price at a local pawn shop.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

7. More lambs for the Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    The article says 20-30 people in line at all times, but they only get 147 firearms. Someone is not telling the truth.
    I agree Jes, someone is not telling the truth, what fools they are; whether the guns were being used or not.

Why do I think I'd be standing toward the back of the line offering $100 cash for good stuff?

It also doesn't mention if they are checked to see if they have been reported stolen so they can be returned to their rightful owners. Sometimes these programs don't WANT them checked, just destroyed.
    "Gun a Month" Club Member

9. Here in Chicago they usually pay $100, but despite what is said and shown on TV, they usually get mostly junkers. King Daley dosen't care, as long ais he looks like he's fighting crime.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Why do I think I'd be standing toward the back of the line offering $100 cash for good stuff?

It also doesn't mention if they are checked to see if they have been reported stolen so they can be returned to their rightful owners. Sometimes these programs don't WANT them checked, just destroyed.
    From the article: "Police inspected the weapons to make sure they were not tied to any crimes. If so, then they are held as evidence only. But officers did not run background checks on the donors. This was not a sting."

If they are too sheepish to use them for self defense, and will not properly secure them, well, ... It bothers me anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast