73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 17

38 52.05%
  • Smith and Wesson MP 9

35 47.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock 17 or S&W MP 9

Quote Originally Posted by babj615 View Post
    Wow, that is just plain crazy ass stupid!

S&W M&P may be a fine weapon, but it has no history or reputation to hold against the Glock.

Glocks are the AK-47 of the pistol world, and will never be unseated from that position.

I will never trade any of my Glocks for any other pistol. ever.

I trust my life to one pistol.

My Glock.
    The S&W is a fine weapon. To say it has no history or reputation to hold against Glock is" plain crazy ass stupid".

S&W was founded in 1852, Started producing the M&P's in 1899 with the Model 10 revolver, has been making semi-autos since 1949. Because the polymer framed M&P semi-autos didn't start production till 2005 do you think S&W doesn't have the ability to get it right, especially within 4 years. The M&P's are excellent pistols and I trust my life to one daily.
    Glock started the design of their first pistol, the G17, in 1980. Does this mean I think they do not build an excellent firearm after only 29 years? No. Glock produces some very high quality firearms. All I'm saying is you can't use the excuse that any S&W product, no matter how new or old, has no history or reputation compared to Glock. Just because it has a new design or new materials does not mean that it's a whole new concept for S&W.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ADJ423 View Post
    The S&W is a fine weapon. To say it has no history or reputation to hold against Glock is" plain crazy ass stupid".

S&W was founded in 1852, Started producing the M&P's in 1899 with the Model 10 revolver, has been making semi-autos since 1949. Because the polymer framed M&P semi-autos didn't start production till 2005 do you think S&W doesn't have the ability to get it right, especially within 4 years. The M&P's are excellent pistols and I trust my life to one daily.
    Glock started the design of their first pistol, the G17, in 1980. Does this mean I think they do not build an excellent firearm after only 29 years? No. Glock produces some very high quality firearms. All I'm saying is you can't use the excuse that any S&W product, no matter how new or old, has no history or reputation compared to Glock. Just because it has a new design or new materials does not mean that it's a whole new concept for S&W.
    S&W has so much experience in designing and producing firearms that they decided to copy Glock and produce the Sigma. This gun was so similar to Glock that they got sued in 1994. That speaks volumes about a gun manufacturer that's been selling their products in the U.S. since the late 80s'. An old saying comes to mind "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." I understand that S&W settled the lawsuit by modifying the design of the Sigma and paying millions of dollars. The redesigned gun was released and sold as the M&P.

I've fired both guns side by side. They both have their good and bad points. The question in I ask when selecting a SD firearm is "Will it stop a threat?" I believe that they would both do the job they were intended for. My next deciding factors in choosing a SD firearm is maintenance and cleaning. The Glock is a lot easier to clean and is simpler in design. Ergonomically speaking, the M&P has 3 different grip sizes, which is good. I prefer the Glock trigger. As stated earlier, they both have good and bad points. Given a choice, I'll take the Glock.

Bottom line is that the ultimate decision will be up to the person using the firearm. As stated earlier, they're both fine guns, I have my preference. I favor "simplicity" when selecting my SD firearm.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    S&W has so much experience in designing and producing firearms that they decided to copy Glock and produce the Sigma. This gun was so similar to Glock that they got sued in 1994. That speaks volumes about a gun manufacturer that's been selling their products in the U.S. since the late 80s'. An old saying comes to mind "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." I understand that S&W settled the lawsuit by modifying the design of the Sigma and paying millions of dollars. The redesigned gun was released and sold as the M&P.

I've fired both guns side by side. They both have their good and bad points. The question in I ask when selecting a SD firearm is "Will it stop a threat?" I believe that they would both do the job they were intended for. My next deciding factors in choosing a SD firearm is maintenance and cleaning. The Glock is a lot easier to clean and is simpler in design. Ergonomically speaking, the M&P has 3 different grip sizes, which is good. I prefer the Glock trigger. As stated earlier, they both have good and bad points. Given a choice, I'll take the Glock.

Bottom line is that the ultimate decision will be up to the person using the firearm. As stated earlier, they're both fine guns, I have my preference. I favor "simplicity" when selecting my SD firearm.

gf
    I agree with you 100%. Both have their good and bad and it is up to the user. Personally I don't like the fit of a glock in my hand. I was just trying to make the point that that argument against S&W had no validity. Both are reliable weapons and I would have no problem using either one to defend myself if necessary. Saying that the Glock is simpler to maintain, now that can be used as a valid point.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."--Thomas Jefferson

5. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post

gf
    buy american.

go smith and wesson

6. i use to be a die hard glock fan. but my smith came in.. dude.

the smith is the winner anyday

7. Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    My department is changing from the Glock 17 to the Smith and Wesson MP 9. Maybe I dont like change or maybe I just lean toward the Glocks. What are yalls opinion on this: Glock 17 or S&W MP 9?

8. I've owned my M&P 9 for about two years. Wearing it right now.

I had a problem early on with the mag dropping unexpectedly. A call to S&W and they acknowledged an early production error on the metal tab on the end of the release button that locks the mag in place. Guess a sub contractor did not harden the tab after forming. A S&W rep hand carried a replacement mag release button to my dealer and I never had another mag drop.

I have shot over a thousand rounds from this gun and I agree the trigger was a pretty grainy when new but feels much better after some use.

I don't find the M&P hard to clean at all. My Ruger MkIII Hunter is a nightmare compared to the M&P.

With good ammo I've had no problems. I sometimes use that crap reloaded LEAD ammo from Wally World (My club's indoor range is lead only) I have had FTE, FTF, and FTL but completely blame the junk ammo on this.

I have shot a few Glocks and like the way the M&P fits in my big hands much better.

Lifetime warranty no questions asked. Buy American.
    Last edited by tag1737; 03-29-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Warned you guys I saved my penies. Here is my 2 cents. Own a Glock 17> Once you learn how to use the trigger reset it is an amazing handgun. Was at S&W 2 weeks ago and among other things I shot their M&P 9mm. Felt very nice in my hand but without a doubt...My preference>>>> GLOCK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123