Cross-eye dominant shooters? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross-eye dominant shooters?

wow, I thought I was the only one lol. I read that it's more common for lefty's to have this problem. Also, in training we were taught that the isosceles should be used with all firearms. The theory is that you're trained and trained in this stance and is adaptable to any firearm- rather than resting the firearm on your shoulder you place the stock against your pectorial muscle and tuck your chin, I will say I don't reccomend this unless you're wearing a vest as it HURTS LIKE HELL
    REVOLUTION: Idea's spread they cannot stop them an idea who's time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government!- Ron Paul

I am also right hand, left eye dominant. I find that I also tilt my head down with handguns. My problem comes with long guns and shotguns as mentioned above.I am fine with a scope. But I can't shoot accurately with open sights. I have to "lead" the target to hit accurately. What I mean is I have to adjust my firearm to my eyesight. Aim up and to the left to hit the bullseye.
    Andrew

4. I use reflex sights on my Remington 870 because I tend to use it in conjunction with a handgun. The rifle has a scope on it, but now and then I'll swap it out with a reflex sight. The reflex sight makes target acquisition very fast and easy with both eyes open. My skeet gun has open sights and I have no trouble but I shoot that with my left eye closed.

At last, other people with the same problem that I have! I'm right handed, but my right eye is a "lazy eye", in that it is turned to the right. I learned very early when I started shooting a rifle to shoot left handed, so almost 50 years later it is second nature to me, but tough to find left handed rifles and shotguns. For a handgun, it doesn't make much difference, as I can shoot about the same right or left handed. It just comes natural to modify my stance.

I cant see the sights with my right eye.everything is blurry so I had to learn to shoot with my left hand. I cant shoot a rifle left handed because of surgery on my elbow, so if I hope to shoot a rifle I'd have to do it with a scope right handed.
    when true patriots become labeled as enemies you can bury my corpse right beside lady libertys

Right handed, left eye dominant, and astigmatism in right eye, so everything is blurry with it. I practice with right eye closed, I just hope I remember to to that if it is necessary.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
    Right handed, left eye dominant, and astigmatism in right eye, so everything is blurry with it. I practice with right eye closed, I just hope I remember to to that if it is necessary.
    That's what I was getting at with this thread- not to knock you or anything but in a real situation I highly doubt that you'll be able to keep your right eye closed. My guess is that both eyes will be WIDE open, sweat pouring down your face, and maybe a little shake in your hand. It's called the "pucker" factor.

TRAIN HOW YOU FIGHT, FIGHT HOW YOU TRAIN.
    REVOLUTION: Idea's spread they cannot stop them an idea who's time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government!- Ron Paul

I too am cross dominant, right hand left eye. I shoot with both eyes open all the time. I try to shoot with one eye closed and I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun. I don't know what you would call my stance. I stand with my left foot forward about 45 degrees to my target with my left elbow bent and my right arm almost straight. Rifles I shoot left handed using my left eye. I have done it this way since I was a kid and have never tried to change it, I just shoot how it feels natural to me.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."--Thomas Jefferson

I didn't realize I had a problem till I tried to shoot right handed looking thru my left eye. all my rounds were hitting the far left side of the target. I'm thinking of getting a contact lens for my right eye so I can shoot my new rifle without a scope.
    when true patriots become labeled as enemies you can bury my corpse right beside lady libertys

11. Another Right Hand, Left Eye

Right hand, left eye. I train at the range to close my right eye with a handgun. Much better than both eyes open. I am actually in process of switching to left hand for shotgun. Did a test with skeet last week and it was easier than I thought. I am hoping that this will dramatically improve duck hunting this fall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast