Why do you choose to live in your state? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose to live in your state?

I was born in FL. Gun friendly, no state income tax, almost no emissions laws and no snow. It's diverse enough so that there's rural rednecks in the north and an overdeveloped cosmopolitan south. Whether you want to hunt hogs in the palmettos or do whatever in Miami, you're covered in Florida.

Also, a space heater will serve most of your winter heating issues and the landscape is very flat, which fixes a lot of problems. I also like that we can see our dominant natural disasters (hurricanes) coming far ahead of time, rather than tornadoes and earthquakes, which tend to strike whenever they feel like it. I wish it didn't get so insanely hot in the summer, and I could do without the humidity at 90% in the middle of the day, but otherwise it's ok.

Another interesting feature is that we seem to get a lot of transplant bums, because they know they won't freeze to death here and there's no hills to climb.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Born and grew up in MA., so I pretty much had no choice at the time. Got older and moved out to.........NH. Didn't own a weapon OR even thought about owning one. Moved here because of the Country setting and NO taxes, but you still have the Property/School tax. I love New England and the four seasons that go with it. Get up on a summer morning and sit out on the back deck with a coffee (or Bloody Mary) with a very quiet surrounding hearing only birds chirping. My job is in MA., so NH is close for my commute too. Carry Concealed or Open Carry state with or without a permit. When I retire I will stay in NH but move maybe a little more further north away from the everyday congestion. Hopefully have a winter retreat in FL. too for the Wifey and I!
    Live Free Or Die!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

4. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    I will only live in a State out of the lower 48 that has no State income tax, shall issue CCW and has no State restrictions on class III/title II/NFA firearms so outside of Nevada that leaves Florida, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming.
    And Tennessee. I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions on Class 3 weapons other than the usual federal red tape to buy one. I've seen silencers at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    And Tennessee. I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions on Class 3 weapons other than the usual federal red tape to buy one. I've seen silencers at the range.
    You are correct... no restrictions on Title 2 weapons in TN.

There are several type of Class 3 items that are restricted by the National Firearms Act.

Each state can impose additional restrictions on the sale, purchase, and transfer of class 3 firearms in addition to the compliance that is required with the national Firearms Act.

In Tennessee you can own the following items that are regulated the the National Firearms Act

Machine Guns
    Silencers
    Any Other Weapon (AOW)
    Destructive Devices (DD)
    Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
    Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

In Tennessee you cannot own the following NFA restricted items.
    None

TN prohibits restaurant carry. I should have added that to my criteria for the firearm laws. Must allow restaurant carry and have none of the asinine public gathering restrictions or laundry list of prohibited areas GA, NC or ND have. The other States in my list do allow restaurant or unrestricted carry in establishments that serve alcohol for on premises consumption.

Yes, TN has no State restrictions on NFA items.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I'm in Nevada because it's still one of the free states. I also have family here and gold mining is in my blood. I moved back here as soon as my 10 years in the Air Force were up.

Unfortunately, unless Kalifornians stop their "eastward ho" migration, Nevada will be overrun with liberals and we'll get a lot of senseless legislation. There were already enough to turn the state blue in the last election.

I'm thinking Montana next.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

8. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    TN prohibits restaurant carry. I should have added that to my criteria for the firearm laws. Must allow restaurant carry and have none of the asinine public gathering restrictions or laundry list of prohibited areas GA, NC or ND have. The other States in my list do allow restaurant or unrestricted carry in establishments that serve alcohol for on premises consumption.

Yes, TN has no State restrictions on NFA items.
    We're hopeful that this will be changed this year. You can carry in restaurants that do not serve alcohol. Word on the street is that it looks good.

Came to AL following up on an opportunity.

10. Why do you choose to live in your state?

We moved from Arizona to Washington as my health has deteriorated so badly. The dust and the heat were killing me. In addition, our son and his wife and their one-year old daughter live one mile from us. Washington is gun friendly, and is a shall issue state. You go into your local police or sheriff's department, give them a set of fingerprints, plunk down $55.25 and in thirty days or less, you have your concealed pistol license. To me, though, I am very concerned that Washington requires no training of any kind to qualify for a license. Arizona used to require a 32 hour course, which included qualifying on the range. I unserstand tht is now down to 8 hours, total. However, it is still something. I saw a statement that 239,000 residents of Washington state have a CPL. That is a bit scary to me that that many people are running around, carrying firearms, and no one knows if they even know how to work them. True, we get a lot of rain and some occasional snow here, but last I heard, tornadoes are very rare, and no one ever remembers seeing a hurricane in Washington. To me, it is almost as important to be dog friendly as gun friendly, as my wife and I both have hearing assist dogs who go everywhere with us and alert us to various things such as alarms, sirens, people approaching from the rear, and more. All in all, a great place to live. I forgot to mention that Washington is an Open Carry state, which a manager in Sporting Goods at the local WalMart did not know. I used information from usacarry.com to show him.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

We're hopeful that this will be changed this year. You can carry in restaurants that do not serve alcohol. Word on the street is that it looks good.
    Ok place to visit but until it changes to allow restaurants that serve alcohol I won't consider living there.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast