Anyone shoot / carry 45 GAP ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot / carry 45 GAP ?

Question Anyone shoot / carry 45 GAP ?

How popular is the 45 GAP?

Still fairly new... A few LE agencies have adopted the cartridge but I don't know of anyone around here that is using it as of yet. It will be interesting to see what kind of results these agencies are getting on the streets.

.45 GAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Still fairly new
    It is still new, but compared to the 10mm and the 40 S&W at age 6, I gotta think the GAP is going nowhere.

Both the 10mm and the 40S&W were in FBI service weapons by the time they were 6 years old (10mm adopted in 1990 in the S&W 1076 and the 40 S&W adopted in 1995/6 in the Glock 23) and were correspondingly well received in the LE community.

Interesting.... It supposedly gets the same ballistics as .45 ACP but comes in a smaller package. Thus is cheaper to manufacture. Has the endorsement of Glock, Inc.... Seems to me the .45 GAP would have been a big hit among those looking for a large bore caliber in a smaller package. At a reduced cost too. You'd think they would be selling more Glock 38's and 39's. Oh well, us shooters are funny about such things... I guess the .40 S&W took care of that situation as well. Surely there will be someone in here eventually that is carrying a firearm loaded with this cartridge.

The reason Glock endorses the 45 GAP is because it was designed for Glock. GAP stands for Glock Automatic Pistol. The problem with the 45 GAP was it's inaccuracy and heavy recoil. About a year ago one of the gun magazines had a list of future discontinued ammo by manufactures and the 45 GAP was one of them.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Hhhhhmmmmmm

I've got a 45 GAP, Glock; maybe I should consider getting rid of it before it becomes obscure / obsolete. Doesn't seem to be very popular. Ammo might be a problem in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've got a 45 GAP, Glock; maybe I should consider getting rid of it before it becomes obscure / obsolete. Doesn't seem to be very popular. Ammo might be a problem in the future?
    Which model Glock do you have? G37, 38 or 39? How does the cartridge perform at the range for you? Do you find it to be inaccurate with pronounced recoil? Are you having trouble finding ammo? The Georgia State Patrol is using the Glock 37 as their standard issue sidearm now. Evidently they were enthusiastic over the way .45 GAP performed that they adopted it. It appears that the SC State Highway Patrol, NY State Police and Pennsylvania State Police are also using the .45 GAP now as their standard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I wouldn't get rid of it. You know how magazines are...making predictions that may or may not come true. As long as they are being used by LE then ammo will be available. I've been thinking about getting one for my collection. If it becomes a wildcat round I'll just make my own ammo.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Lightbulb

I have a Glock 39 with nite sights. The recoil isn't bad, and it's fairly easy to conceal. I think of it as an improved Colt Officers model (yes, I have one of those too). Maybe I should just be suure to stock up on ammo. I currently have a few boxes of Ranger T.

Hey CDW4ME and Red Hat...

Thought these articles would interest both of you. According to the last one, there are 23 agencies across the US that have already adopted .45 GAP as their standard;

Inside the .45 GAP

45GAP Review/Test: New .45 GAP Cartridge for 9mm/.40 S&W Pistol Frames

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast