Semi-automatic pistol shot sound suppressor...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-automatic pistol shot sound suppressor...

Semi-automatic pistol shot sound suppressor...

I think I'm seeing things, maybe hearing things. This week, while watching some prime-time TV show, someone shot a semi-automatic firearm and the shot sound was suppressed. I wish I could remember what show it was, maybe NCIS, maybe CSI, I really can't remember. Did anyone else see this? They really tried to get this past us? Tell me I'm not nuts. (Well, I really am , but, oh well.)

3. Semi-auto pistol shot

Gdcleanfun,

Are you doubtuing that a semi-auto can be suppressed? I don't understand your posting. They often show revolvers with a suppressor smaller than a lawn mower muffler being used, which is pure Hollywood. However, semiauto pistols are easily suppressed. While the shot doesn't sound like the soundtrack of the TV show or movie, since gunshots do not record well, the suppressor does change the sound of the shot enough to make it not sound so much like a gunshot, and it is somewhat muffled.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

wolfhunter Guest
    Maybe it was one of those Glock 40s we keep hearing about?

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    Gdcleanfun,

Are you doubtuing that a semi-auto can be suppressed? I don't understand your posting. They often show revolvers with a suppressor smaller than a lawn mower muffler being used, which is pure Hollywood. However, semiauto pistols are easily suppressed. While the shot doesn't sound like the soundtrack of the TV show or movie, since gunshots do not record well, the suppressor does change the sound of the shot enough to make it not sound so much like a gunshot, and it is somewhat muffled.
    Wuz, okay then, maybe I'll learn something new today, ya mean semi-automatic pistols can be suppressed? This wasn't a revolver. Sorry, I didn't know. Should I google it? How would a suppressor be attached? I'll do some research then, this semi-automatic didn't look any different than normal. Thanks for the heads up.

Okay then, I did look it up, and by golly, there they are, that's my new for today, but there was nothing attached to the end of this pistol on the show to indicate that a suppressor was being used. But the sound was sure muffled when the shot on the TV rang out. Hmmm...

You don't want to use a revolver with a suppressor. Gasses escaping between the cylinder and the forcing cone of the barrel will create a loud report. Semi-autos are the way to go.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Wuz, okay then, maybe I'll learn something new today, ya mean semi-automatic pistols can be suppressed? This wasn't a revolver. Sorry, I didn't know. Should I google it? How would a suppressor be attached? I'll do some research then, this semi-automatic didn't look any different than normal. Thanks for the heads up.

Okay then, I did look it up, and by golly, there they are, that's my new for today, but there was nothing attached to the end of this pistol on the show to indicate that a suppressor was being used. But the sound was sure muffled when the shot on the TV rang out. Hmmm...
    Yep here is my P22 with a can:

But your probably right about the tv show.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

you can use subsonic ammo to lower the sound report, add a supresser and its even more quite,some subsonic ammo wont work the slide on some autos,i hand loaded some and they work well.

I've successfully suppressed the sound of a .357mag revolver with a nice thick fluffy towel from the Hilton. Works well, but extremely difficult to aim.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Since it was on TV, I bet they just dubbed over a normalized gunshot report (normalized in the terms of volume). As in, the sound you heard was most likely not really the sound the gun made. Or it's a .22 converted shooting low-power blanks, which would change the sound from what you might expect.

I am no expert, but wuzfuz is right in that gun reports do not typically record well, so to make it sound "good" they might have fiddled with it in post production.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

11. Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I think I'm seeing things, maybe hearing things. This week, while watching some prime-time TV show, someone shot a semi-automatic firearm and the shot sound was suppressed. I wish I could remember what show it was, maybe NCIS, maybe CSI, I really can't remember. Did anyone else see this? They really tried to get this past us? Tell me I'm not nuts. (Well, I really am , but, oh well.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast