A Friends Recent Encounter - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Friends Recent Encounter

1. Quote Originally Posted by ishi View Post
    This is a sociopathic adult. Next time he'll have a real gun. I hope his next victim has one.
    Amen!

Mot, your friend did well.That's easy to say, because he is alive and he won't have to defend himself in court. I am curious, though. How close did the BG get to him before turning?
    No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Was this in the Cleveland Metroparks or something farther east like in Lake County Metroparks?

In addition to criminals, people have been attacked by coyotes and a pitbull in the Cleveland Metroparks.

Having pedaled my bike about 1800 miles down the Cleveland Metroparks bike paths this year, I've had lots of time to observe how oblivious most people are, especially those with Ipods plugged into their ears.
    Last edited by rt48; 11-13-2007 at 11:09 AM.

I am happy to know your friend is alright. He obviously couldn't have done any better. I am sure it would have been emotionally difficult to recover from shooting a 17 year old with a toy gun. However, he would have been justified in doing so. I am glad all went well and the kid was caught by the authorities. Thanks for posting his story. We must all be prepared as he was.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRN View Post
    Amen!

Mot, your friend did well.That's easy to say, because he is alive and he won't have to defend himself in court. I am curious, though. How close did the BG get to him before turning?
    I am guessing from what he was telling me it occurred around 10 - 15'.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by rt48 View Post
    Was this in the Cleveland Metroparks or something farther east like in Lake County Metroparks?

In addition to criminals, people have been attacked by coyotes and a pitbull in the Cleveland Metroparks.

Having pedaled my bike about 1800 miles down the Cleveland Metroparks bike paths this year, I've had lots of time to observe how oblivious most people are, especially those with Ipods plugged into their ears.
    This incident occurred at Squire's Castle in Lake County. He had a similar episode from a drunk guy who was harrassing him and his girlfriend and was a threat at the Girdled road Reservation in Concord - that was the one about a mile from my old residence. The drunk guy kept getting closer, and trying to get at the girl. Adam got between them, backing them up while warning him to leave them alone. He kept coming, Adam told him he would defend himself, and that he was carrying. The guy kept coming, so he opened up his shirt, put his hand on his piece. The guy saw that, stopped, contemplated it for a minute ( stoopid drunk ), then growled and walked away.

Needless to say, as I said before, my wife is not going anywhere w/o me, or the dogs.... preferably me.

As far as pitbulls go, please do not assume that just because they are pits, they are all mean. That arguement in my book is similar to the antis w/ the guns. I have been raised around them, owned many, have 2 now, along w/ a mutt, and 1 cat ( down from 4 ), and NEVER had a problem. My uncle owns 2, my brother has 2, and a friend has 2 also. We get them together on a regular basis, and they all play. I know there are arguements either way, but in my opinion it all boils down to raising, breeding, and socializing.

I know this rant is off topic ( but, then again, it's my thread ), and I AM NOT starting a flame war w/ anyone. I have a passion for these misunderstood dogs. I love the breed terribly, and A-Holes like Vick give a once cherished, American mascot, & noble family breed a bad reputation. Any dog can be raised bad, just like kids. It takes love, patience, and dedication to properly raise another living creature. (They used to be called St. Francis Terriers, who was the patron saint of animals, and, the #1 family dog of the American settlers. They were bulldogs - a working class farm dog that did a wonderful job with the bulls, and protecting the family. It wasn't untill the gold rush that people really started fighting dogs and found they were kings in the ring. That goes mainly because of thier desire to please thier owners, which sadly is a downfall in that perspective. If you do what these people do to these dogs to any breed, I can guarantee ANY dog would turn out that way.)

...... off my box. sorry. really. anything pertaining to this subject in particular, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by mot mayhem; 11-13-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

7. Glad it worked out well for your friend and hopefully the oxygen thief learned something and will not try that stunt again.

On a good note, I was paying my storage fee today, and had a lengthy chat to the owner about ccl's. He seemed rather interested in what I had to say, and would like more info on a class. I will probably stop in again in the next few days and give him some info on the local class. Maybe even take him to the range for an hour to try out a few guns to see what he is comfortable with.

First rule of a gunfight: bring a gun. Criminals have been killed trying to use fake firearms to intimidate people who have decided that they will take responsibility for their own safety. This kid ran into one of those people and he's lucky he made it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by mot mayhem View Post
    On a good note, I was paying my storage fee today, and had a lengthy chat to the owner about ccl's. He seemed rather interested in what I had to say, and would like more info on a class. I will probably stop in again in the next few days and give him some info on the local class. Maybe even take him to the range for an hour to try out a few guns to see what he is comfortable with.

Glad to hear this. Do try to follow up with him. Taking him shooting is a great idea. The more people we can teach, the more people on our side. Thanks Mot.
    Last edited by DrDavidM; 11-15-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Your friend was blessed, he could be dead. The idiot teen was also blessed. He could be dead. "if anything can go wrong it will." I do like guns with the least amount of things that can go wrong. That is why I carry a HK P2000 SK with the LEM trigger. I also usuall carry some type of back up just in case.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12