41 Hostages Being Held

Thread: 41 Hostages Being Held

Post 41 Hostages Being Held

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. (AP) - At least four people were shot and several people taken hostage Friday at an immigration services center in Binghamton, N.Y., according to police and news reports.

At least 41 hostages were in the building of the American Civic Association, The Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin reported. Nearby apartments were being evacuated.
    The condition of those shot wasn't immediately clear.

A man went into a building and started shooting, according to police scanner traffic reported by WBNG-TV. The gunman had a high-powered rifle, Mayor Matthew Ryan told the newspaper.

When the shooting started, people escaped to the basement in search of safety. More than a dozen people were hiding in a closet for more than an hour.

Binghampton is about 150 miles northwest of New York City.

The American Civic Association's Web site says it helps immigrants and refugees with counseling, resettlement, citizenship, family reunification, interpreters, and translators.

9:30 a.m.: Gunman holds 40 hostages in New York State | KGET TV 17

This is an on going Situation.. How many BGs is unclear. Stay Tuned.
    Semper Fi

I hope everyone will be ok. too bad no one has a gun to fight back with. I'm sure they are already thinking of a way to use this as more gun control support...
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I hope everyone will be ok. too bad no one has a gun to fight back with. I'm sure they are already thinking of a way to use this as more gun control support...

Nope noone had a gun. What a tragic even......

at least 12 dead!

At least 12 dead in shootings in Binghamton, New York - CNN.com
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Hello to all on the board, I just registered after recently finding this site and I had to add my $.02 to this. I just wish my first post had been on a more pleasant topic.

Nope, no one had a gun because it's a federal building - GUN FREE ZONE. I am also working on my citizenship and when I went to my local USCIS branch, there's a big sticker right on the front door NO FIREARMS.

Perhaps if the shooter were better informed of this small detail this might have never happened.

Just once again goes to show that "GUN FREE ZONE" only applies to those that abide by the law in the first place.

My local branch, however, had a roughly 6"4 and 300lb armed guard right at the entrance when you walk in. As a matter of fact, he has to wave you in to enter. I wonder if he was the first one hit?

Truly a tragedy. For those people inside, their families, and the pro-gun community as well.

-Sean

Another killing zone. Very sad. Like shooting fish in a barrel when no one is armed and able to defend themselves.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. 41 hostages

Every time one of these head cases goes on a tear and shoots up a bunch of people, the Brady Bunch et al wring their hands and moan that if only there had been a gun ban, the dead would not have suffered. This is a pile of bovine waste matter! These shootings do not indicate that there should be fewer guns, but more. Once more, this was possibly a gun free zone. Someone says it was a federal building, but the news has not made such a statement. I get the sense that it is a private company that provides services for immigrants, and it may or may not have signs prohibiting weapons. If it did, they didn't do a whole lot of good, did they? I agree with Dr. Ignatius Piazza of Front Sight Resort that we need more guns in the hands of trained citizens on the streets, not fewer guns. We have videos from youtube from the UK that disarming the people does not make for a safer world. We have videos from Canada of people feeling betrayed by their government for selling them a bill of goods that did not leave them any safer, and what about the beekeeper in Australia, who was shot in the back as he slept for $40,000 worth of honey by someone who obtained a gun in spite of their ban. One video has a statement by a British street hood that the street people are going to have guns regardless of what the government does. Don't let the unholy trio of Obama, Holder and Brady disarm the American public. Join the NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation and other like organizations. Contact your representatives in Washington, DC and your various state legislatures and let your voice be heard. Other countries were stripped of their guns becasue they figured the government would never institute a ban. Guess what? They did, and they could do it here, if we remain complacent. Obtain a copy of the film "Betrayed Innocents,' put out by Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership to learn of the 170,000,000 people massacred after their governments took away the means to defend themselves. Echo Charlton Heston's battle cry, "From my cold dead hands!"
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

I wrote something along those lines some time ago on the NJCSD website (Welcome to the NJCSD) with respect to a mock - unannounced! - school invasion. I wrote at the time...

The FACT is that the only True Defense against an unexpected, deadly attack of force is to meet it with a similar force and Stop The Threat! New Jersey needs to get it in its collective head that Law Abiding, Honest Citizens Who Are Armed Present NO Threat To Public Safety!! Quite the opposite...they represent a hidden line of defense against just such a scenario as this one, whether it's in a School or a Mall or any public place. When's the last time one of these nitwits attacked a Police Station? Care to guess why? Because those guys can defend themselves! While these attackers are cowards, they're not fools! Get with it, New Jersey. 39 States now recognize the Right of a Law Abiding citizen to decide to avail themselves of the means to protect themselves and their Loved Ones from harm if they choose to. New Jersey needs to join this list. The Police to an admiral [sic] job under difficult conditions for a largely unappreciative audience. But when Seconds Count, the Police are still Minutes Away!! In the end, the only person you can really count on to BE THERE when they're really, Really, REALLY needed . . . is YOU!
    Hope springs eternal here...
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

the guy was from vietnam ,he got fired from IBM a little while ago in johson city ny,he killed 14 people and 4 in the hospital in critical condintion ,he used 2 pistol/revolvers to kill everyone,they found a guy with a bag around his neck with ammo in it they think he killed himself and think he was the shooter,no one there could id the shooter ,they didnt speak english they were taking a citizen test when the gunman came in shooting every one befor moveing to the next room to shoot more.he blocked the back door with his car so no one could get out and went in the front door and started shooting in the first class room.there still working on the case ,lots of anti gun talk from it.

ABC News Nightline

From ABC Nightline...
    Closing Arguments: The Problem: Guns or People?
    Closing Arguments: The Problem: Guns or People? - Nightline's Daily Line

Columbine; Virginia Tech; and now, Binghamton.
    The litany of some of the places where guns were used to carry out deadly massacres.
    The sale of firearms has jumped significantly across the country -- because some are concerned that the Obama administration will tighten gun regulations.
    But gun owners say that enforcing existing laws is the real answer.
    So tonight, we ask you: Do you think our country's gun laws make mass killings more likely to happen?
    Or is there something else -- something in our culture -- at work?
    Tell us what you think.
    And follow "Nightline" anytime on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Nightline
    I think I may have to go there and say something about NY have "tight" laws and they did not stop the Tragedy today. IMHO, Just maybe if just on properly trained person was there, the results may have been different.
    Still our prayers need to be directed to the families and that city.
    Semper Fi