Rifles That Kill From A Mile Away - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifles That Kill From A Mile Away

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    I beg to differ. SEALs use guns, knives, HE, martial arts, the kitchen sink, etc. but seals balance balls on their noses at SeaWorld.
    OK didn't catch the play on words in my quick read......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

...but seals balance balls on their noses at SeaWorld.
    That's just their day jobs.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Regardless of the marksman's skill, I thought rifles only killed from within a few feet? BULLETS kill from longer distances if the shooter has the needed skill.
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I needed that...
    Fred's News
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - - Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Hmm, thought we already had this sniper capability:
    Quote Originally Posted by abock33 View Post
    No kidding. I guess they are letting the world know. even though we now have the capability to shoot up to a mile and a half. I guess they will let us know about that later.
    You guys might be missing the point of the story...

While we can shoot up to 1.5 miles, we can't really do so consistently and effectively against small targets, like human craniums. The article is talking about guided bullets. Guided by what? Not exactly sure. That's probably still under development.

... spin stablized projectile...? did we finally invent a rifled barrel?
    "When you care enough to send the best... Shoot a .45"

7. If any of you armchair commandos / morons think that the shooting skills of the Teams is deficient or limited by range, you had better pick someone else to have a gunfight with.

Like the majority of the citizens they protect, you have no clue what hard, hairy work these men, and their equivalents in the other branches of the service, do on your behalf on a daily basis.

Go read your Soldier of Fortune magazine and let the professionals do their jobs, but keep your ignorant comments to yourselves.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday.

wolfhunter Guest
    Bill,
    I don't know your background, but I was a Marine marksmanship instructor, and also had some field training with Recon.
    At least 2 others here were Marine or Army Snipers, another gent shot well enough in a 1000 yard competition to have it recorded on his fitness report.
    Maybe we know a bit about the hard, hairy work those men do.

Quote Originally Posted by bill4295m View Post
    If any of you armchair commandos / morons think that the shooting skills of the Teams is deficient or limited by range, you had better pick someone else to have a gunfight with.

Like the majority of the citizens they protect, you have no clue what hard, hairy work these men, and their equivalents in the other branches of the service, do on your behalf on a daily basis.

Go read your Soldier of Fortune magazine and let the professionals do their jobs, but keep your ignorant comments to yourselves.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday.
    And a kind welcome to you, too.

10. Gentlemen, my apologies for the tone of my previous comment and specifically to those of you that have served our great country.

That was posted after a day of mulching all of the beds on the property and the subsequent rehydrating with a substantial quantity of dark porter. I logged in late last night and took great exception to the comments in this thread.

But, apologies aside, if you do not recoginze the skill required to take a tactical interdiction shot in the dark, at sea, from a moving platform, at a moving target, you need to re-check your range cards. Additionaly, if you believe the comments made herein about range limitations and limited long gun capability within Special Warfare, think again.

In my youth I had the privelege to serve in units and capacities that fully qualify me to speak to these capabilities. I served in the Teams and specifically to this point, attended and graduated from the USMC Scout / Sniper program. The kids that serve today make all of us look like cavemen. They are better trained and more qualified than we ever were or hoped to be.

I am long retired now but occassionally comments like this will bring parts of my personality into play that are not suitable for mixed company but served me well in more primitive places and times. Such was the case with my original response.

So, my apologies again to my brothers-in-arms. I'll be glad to buy you all a beer and argue this and many other topics in the enlisted club, as we did those many years ago.

Apology Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by bill4295m View Post
    Gentlemen, my apologies for the tone of my previous comment and specifically to those of you that have served our great country.

That was posted after a day of mulching all of the beds on the property and the subsequent rehydrating with a substantial quantity of dark porter. I logged in late last night and took great exception to the comments in this thread.

But, apologies aside, if you do not recoginze the skill required to take a tactical interdiction shot in the dark, at sea, from a moving platform, at a moving target, you need to re-check your range cards. Additionaly, if you believe the comments made herein about range limitations and limited long gun capability within Special Warfare, think again.

In my youth I had the privelege to serve in units and capacities that fully qualify me to speak to these capabilities. I served in the Teams and specifically to this point, attended and graduated from the USMC Scout / Sniper program. The kids that serve today make all of us look like cavemen. They are better trained and more qualified than we ever were or hoped to be.

I am long retired now but occassionally comments like this will bring parts of my personality into play that are not suitable for mixed company but served me well in more primitive places and times. Such was the case with my original response.

So, my apologies again to my brothers-in-arms. I'll be glad to buy you all a beer and argue this and many other topics in the enlisted club, as we did those many years ago.
    I'll be glad to cuss and discuss such things with another old warhorse!!!! That'll be a tasty cold beverage or two!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast